- Islam in Scotland
Part of a series onIslam by country
The larger immigration of Muslims to Scotland is relatively recent. The bulk of Muslims in Scotland come from families who immigrated during the late 20th century. In Scotland Muslims represent 0.9% of the population (42,557), with 30,000 in Glasgow. Muslims are the third largest non-Christian group after atheists and agnostics.
The production of goods and Glasgow's busy port meant that many lascars were employed there. Dundee was at the peak of importing jute; hence, sailors from Bengal were a feature at the port. Records from the Glasgow Sailors' Home show that, in 1903, nearly a third (5,500) of all boarders were Muslim lascars.
Two important mosques in Scotland are Edinburgh Central Mosque, which took more than six years to complete at a cost of £3.5m and has a main hall that can hold over one thousand worshippers, and Glasgow Central Mosque.
Notable Scottish Muslims
- Bashir Ahmad - first Asian Member of the Scottish Parliament (2007–2009)
- Abdal-Qadir As-Sufi (Ian Dallas)
- Farah Noor Adams
- Bashir Mann, former Labour councillor
- Misbah Iram Ahmed Rana (Molly Campbell)
- Mohammad Sarwar MP - First Muslim MP at Westminster from 1997 to 2010
- Mona Siddiqui - is a British Muslim academic, currently is a University of Glasgow's Professor of Islamic Studies and Public Understanding, as well a regular contributor to BBC Radio 4, The Times, Scotsman, The Guardian, The Herald
- Viscount Reidhaven, eldest son of the Earl of Seafield.
- Osama Saeed, chief executive of the Scottish-Islamic Foundation
- Islam in the United Kingdom
- Islam in England
- Islam in Northern Ireland
- Islam in Wales
- Islam by country
- Muslim Council of Britain
- Muslim Council of Scotland
- Muslims in Western Europe
- Religion in the United Kingdom
- The Muslim Weekly
- British Muslims
- Islam in London
- ^ http://www.scotland.gov.uk/stats/bulletins/00398-02.asp
- ^  young muslims UK, accessed 4th August 2010
- ^ http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/antisectarian/whatIsSectarianism/aboutsectarianism/Islam/02100506historyofmuslimsinscotland.asp
- ^ Edinburgh mosque opens "BBC new report". 1998-07-31. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/143136.stm Edinburgh mosque opens. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- ^ "Muslim Directory". http://www.muslimdirectory.co.uk/viewdetails.php?id=6134&orgtype=&city=Edinburgh. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- The Muslim Council of Scotland
- The Scottish-Islamic Foundation
- Census 2001: Key Statistics of Scotland (PDF, religion KS027)
- What is sectarianism?
- Reaching out in Edinburgh
- Last Muslim School in Scotland Faces Closure Deadline
- "Islam misunderstood"
- Scottish Left Review article on Islam in Scotland
- Osama Saeed, a Scottish Muslim activist
Scotland topics History Geography Economy Law People Politics Religion Languages Culture Islam in Europe Sovereign
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Czech Republic
- San Marino
- United Kingdom
- Northern Ireland
- Vatican City
States with limited
- Northern Cyprus
- South Ossetia
and other territories
- Faroe Islands
- Jan Mayen
- Isle of Man
Other entities Bulgaria Cyprus EnglandAl Mahdi Mosque • Al-Rahma Mosque • Abbey Mills Mosque • Aziziye Mosque (London) • Baitul Futuh • Birmingham Central Mosque • Blackpool Central Mosque • Brick Lane Mosque • Chesham Mosque • Darul Barakaat Mosque • Didsbury Mosque • East London Mosque & London Muslim Centre • Faidhan-e-Madina Mosque • Fazl Mosque • Ghamkol Shariff Masjid • Green Lane Masjid • Jaame Masjid • Leeds Grand Mosque • London Central Mosque • Madina Mosque, Horsham • Manchester Central Mosque • Markazi Masjid • Masjid Umar mosque • Medina Mosque (Sheffield) • Noor-A-Madina Mosque • North London Central Mosque • Shacklewell Lane Mosque • Shah Jahan Mosque • Shropshire Islamic Foundation • Stratford Street Mosque • Suleymaniye Mosque (London) • Upper Brook Street Chapel, Manchester France Germany Ireland Italy Netherlands Romania Scotland Spain WalesMasjid-e-Abu Hurairah Cardiff • Swansea MosqueCategory – Islam in the United Kingdom – Mosques by country
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Islam in England — Part of a series on Islam by country Africa Algeria • … Wikipedia
Islam in the United Kingdom — Shah Jahan Mosque, one of the oldest mosques in UK Part of a series on Islam by country … Wikipedia
Islam in Wales — Part of a series on Islam by country Africa Algeria • … Wikipedia
Islam in Northern Ireland — Part of a series on Islam by country Africa Algeria • … Wikipedia
Islam in Europe — Islam in Europe <1% (Armenia, Belarus, Czech R … Wikipedia
Islam in Pakistan — Category History Islamic conquest · Arab settlement Islamic rule · … Wikipedia
Scotland Office — Scotland This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Scotland … Wikipedia
Scotland — For other uses, see Scotland (disambiguation). Scotland (English/Scots) Alba (Scottish Gaelic) … Wikipedia
Scotland in the modern era — History of Scotland This article is part of a series Chronologicy … Wikipedia
Islam in Russia — The greatest mosque in Russian empire in Saint Petersburg … Wikipedia