- Islam in Trinidad and Tobago
Muslimsconstitute 6 percent of the population on Trinidad and Tobago, representing 65,318 individuals. The majority live in Trinidadbut there are a handful in Tobagoas well. The first Muslims to arrive in the country arrived from Africabrought as slaves by the colonists. The next set of Muslims came from South Asiaas indentured labourers to work on sugar cane and cacao plantations. Muslims today are mostly of South Asian descent but there are converts from all races. In Trinidad there are Islamic primary and secondary schools. The first Muslim secondary school in the country, ASJA Boys' College, San Fernando, was established in 1960.
The two major Islamic boards are the
Anjuman Sunnat-ul-Jamaat Association(ASJA) and the Trinidad Muslim League(TML). There are many mosquesand Eid ul Fitris a public holiday. In 2005, an Islamic channel, the Islamic Broadcasting Networkwas aired, being gladly accepted by the Muslim community and the general population.
Remembrance of Muharramis commemorated, in its local form known as Hosay.
* [http://aa.trinimuslims.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3 Pictures of Masjids in Trinidad and Tobago]
* [http://www.caribbeanmuslims.com/categories/Our-Region/Trinidad-and-Tobago/ Trinidad & Tobago Muslims (from Muslims in the Caribbean website)]
* [http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/198706/muslims.in.the.caribbean.htm Saudi Aramco World - Muslims in the Caribbean - Trinidad, Guyana etc.]
* [http://www.nalis.gov.tt/Communities/communities_MuslimsinTT.htm Muslims in T&T - Trinidad Guardian, Indian Diaspora Supplement May 30, 2000]
* [http://www.indianmuslims.info/news/2007/oct/17/unique_muslim_identity_trinidad_and_tobago.html A unique Muslim identity in Trinidad and Tobago - Indian Muslim News and Information October 18, 2007]
* [http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/archive/article.php?lang=E&id=135534 How a Minister in Trinidad and Tobago entered Islam]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Trinidad and Tobago — Trinidadian and Tobagonian. an independent republic in the West Indies, comprising the islands of Trinidad and Tobago: member of the Commonwealth of Nations. 1,273,141; 1980 sq. mi. (5128 sq. km). Cap.: Port of Spain. * * * Trinidad and Tobago… … Universalium
Outline of Trinidad and Tobago — … Wikipedia
Politics of Trinidad and Tobago — The politics of Trinidad and Tobago function within the framework of a unitary state regulated by a parliamentary democracy modelled on that of the UK, from which the country gained its independence in 1962. Under the 1976 republican Constitution … Wikipedia
List of Trinidad and Tobago-related topics — This is a list of topics related to Trinidad and Tobago. Those interested in the subject can monitor changes to the pages by clicking on Related changes in the sidebar.Trinidad and Tobago* Trinidad and Tobago * [http://www.trinilocal.com Trinidad … Wikipedia
Trinidad y Tobago — Republic of Trinidad and Tobago República de Trinidad y Tobago … Wikipedia Español
Trinidad und Tobago — Trị|ni|dad und To|ba|go; s: Inselstaat vor der Nordküste Südamerikas. * * * Trinidạd und Tobago, Kurzinformation: Fläche: 5 128 km2 Einwohner: (2000) 1,3 Mio. Hauptstadt: Port of Spain … Universal-Lexikon
Islam in China — The Huaisheng Mosque is one of the oldest mosques in the world, built by Muhammad s maternal uncle, Sa d ibn Abi Waqqas … Wikipedia
Islam in Canada — A Mosque in Ottawa. Part of a series on Islam by country … Wikipedia
Islam in Greece — This article is about Islam in Greece in general. For information regarding the only explicitly recognized minority in Greece, see Muslim minority of Greece. For information regarding Greek Muslims, see Greek Muslims. Islam in Greece is… … Wikipedia
Islam in the United States — For a list of American Muslims, see List of American Muslims. American Muslim redirects here. For the magazine, see The American Muslim. American Muslims … Wikipedia