Crosshill and Codnor railway station

Crosshill and Codnor railway station
Crosshill and Codnor
Place Crosshill and Codnor
Pre-grouping Midland Railway
Post-grouping London Midland and Scottish Railway
2 June 1890 Station opens
1 January 1917 closed
3 May 1920 reopened
4 May 1926 Station closes [1]
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
Portal icon UK Railways portal

Crosshill and Codnor railway station was a railway station which served the villages of Crosshill and Codnor in Derbyshire, England It was opened in 1890 by the Midland Railway on its branch between Langley Mill on the Erewash Valley Line and Ripley


The line came into being as competition for the GNR's branch. It was completed as far as Heanor by 1890, but took another five years to reach Langley Mill .

The station was built at line level next an overbridge carrying the Ripley to Heanor road. It was reached by a short driveway and a flight of wooden steps. There was only one platform, the two lines being in the form of an interlaced loop. [2] There were no goods facilities.

Initially there were four trains each way between Heanor and Ripley and Butterley, with five on Saturday, but no Sunday service. When the line opened to Langley Mill this increased to nine each way.

Having been built for colliery traffic and passengers were an incidental, so only a shuttle was considered necessary. However, some trains ran between Nottingham and Ambergate or Chesterfield. One particularly complex service ran from Nottingham through Basford and Kimberley to Ilkeston Town, then via Langley Mill to Ripley and Butterley to Chesterfield.[3]

Services ended during the First World War, but the line reopened in 1920. In the Grouping of all lines into four main companies in 1923 the station became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway . From 1914 the line had been in competition with the Ripley Rattlers a tramcar service opened by the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Tramways Company. [4] To reduce costs a Sentinel Steam Railcar was introduced in 1925, but the line finally closed to passengers with the General Strike the following year.

By 1928 rails had been lifted to the south of the station and at the end of December 1929 the decision was taken to remove all track between Ripley and Heanor. The station buildings were used for various purposes until 1972 when they were demolished. The road had been straightened and the bridge filled in in 1955.


  1. ^ Butt, R.V.J., (1995) The Directory of Railway Stations, Yeovil: Patrick Stephens
  2. ^ Sprenger, H., (2009) Rails to Ripley, Southampton: Kestrel
  3. ^ Anderson, P.H., (1985 2nd ed) Forgotten Railways Vol 2: The East Midlands, Newton Abbot: David and Charles
  4. ^ Huson, S., (2009) Derbyshire in the age of steam, Newbury: Countryside Books

Coordinates: 53°02′08″N 1°22′35″W / 53.0356°N 1.3764°W / 53.0356; -1.3764

Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.