Etwall railway station


Etwall railway station

Etwall railway station was a former railway station in Etwall, Derbyshire. It was opened by the Great Northern Railway (Great Britain) on its Derbyshire Extension in 1878.

From Mickleover the line dropped at about 1 in 110 towards Etwall.

The station was very close to the village, being adjacent to the Uttoxeter road which crossed the line by a steeply sloped bridge. It was provided with substantial brick buildings similar to others on the line; a two-storey station master's house and the usual single storey offices on the platform, with a small timber waiting room on the other.

Regular passenger traffic finished in 1939, although it saw excursions until 1963, and it closed in the following year.

The line from Friargate remained open for some years, being used as a test track by the British Rail Research Division. After public services finished, the stationmaster continued to live in the house. The goods yard was sold to an agricultural engineering company who later bought the house and demolished it 1987-8. [Higginson, M., (1989) "The Friargate Line:Derby and the Great Northern Railway," Derby: Golden Pingle Publishing]

References


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.