Higher Buxton railway station


Higher Buxton railway station

Higher Buxton railway station was opened in 1894 to the south east of Buxton, Derbyshire on the LNWR line to Ashbourne and the south .

It utilised part of the Cromford and High Peak Railway (which ran from Whaley Bridge to Cromford) joining it at Hindlow and proceeding to a branch to Ashbourne at Parsley Hay

On leaving its bay at Buxton LNWR station, it turned through a tight 180 degree curve southwards across a thirteen arch skew viaduct 87 feet high over the Midland line and Spring Gardens with an uphill gradient of 1 in 62.

It was located next to Clifton Road and between it and Dale Road was an extensive goods yard which had been opened in 1891 as part of the scheme to link Buxton with the new High Peak Junction near Cromford.

Like all the stations on the line the platforms and buildings were of timber construction. Passenger services on the line finished in 1954. This station however had never been very busy, being so close to the main station and it closed in 1951.

On leaving the station, the line continued its punishing climb across the thirteen arch Duke's Drive Viaduct on its way to Harpur Hill thence to Beswick's Sidings, where the gradient eased to 1 in 330 as far as Hindlow.

The line, now single, remains open for mineral trains serving the lime works at Dowlow. [Jacobs, G., (Ed.) (2005) "Railway Track Diagrams Book 4: Midlands and North West," Bradford-on-Avon: Trackmaps]

ee also

* Cromford and High Peak Railway

References

Bibliography

* Bentley, J.M., Fox, G.K., (1997) "Railways of the High Peak: Buxton to Ashbourne (Scenes From The Past series 32)," Romiley: Foxline Publishing


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.