Ilkeston North railway station


Ilkeston North railway station

Ilkeston North railway station was a former railway station in Ilkeston, Derbyshire. It was opened by the Great Northern Railway (Great Britain) on its Derbyshire Extension in 1878 and closed in 1964

From Awsworth the line crossed the Erewash Valley by means of the impressive Bennerley Viaduct which has been partly preserved. It then made the climb to Ilkeston before crossing the Nut Brook towards West Hallam. [Higginson, M., (1989) "The Friargate Line:Derby and the Great Northern Railway," Derby: Golden Pingle Publishing] At Stanton Junction lines led northwarrds to Heanor and southwards to Stanton Ironworks.

Bridges have been filled in, and the station demolished. Some of the track bed has been built on, with the remainder forming the Cotmanhay Linear Park. [ [http://www.leverton.org/tunnels/nottingham/index.html Nottingham's Lost Railway Heritage ] ]

A second station, Ilkeston Town was on a branch from the Midland Railway's Erewash Valley Line.

References


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.