Alsop en le Dale railway station


Alsop en le Dale railway station

Infobox UK disused station
name = Alsop en le Dale


caption =
original = LNWR
line =
manager =
pregroup =
locale = Buxton
borough = Derbyshire
latitude =
longitude =
gridref = SK157540
years = 4 August 1899
events = Station opened
years1 = 1 November 1954
events1 = Station closed to regular traffic
years2 = 7 October 1963
events2 = Station closed to all traffic
platforms = ?

Alsop en le Dale railway station was opened in 1899 near to Alstonefield gbmapping|SK157540 a village in Derbyshire south east of Buxton.

It was on the Ashbourne Line built by the LNWR as a branch from the Cromford and High Peak Railway (which ran from Whaley Bridge to Cromford) at Parsley Hay. At some time it was known as "Alsop en le Dale for Alstonefield."

History

Opened by the London and North Western Railway, it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The station then passed on to the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. It was then closed to regular traffic by the British Transport Commission and finally for excursions by the British Railways Board.

The line

From Hurdlow the line had been fairly easily graded, but at Alsop Moor, roughly half way from Hartington it began to fall sharply at 1 in 60 and would continue to do so into Ashbourne. From Alsop to the next station at Tissington the fall was at 1 in 71.

The descent to Alsop was through Cold Eaton Cutting, 60 feet deep and three quarters of a mile long, requiring the removal of 300,000 tons of limestone

Two years after the line opened, a train of six-wheeled carriages became derailed by the snow and was marooned for three days, during which time the crew were given hot food and drinks by local farmers.

In common with the other stations on this line, the platforms and buildings were of timber construction. From Parsley Hay to Ashbourne the line was single with passing loops at the stations, though provision was made for doubling which never occurred.

Regular passenger services ended in 1954, though excursions continued until 1963. Freight continued until October of that year, the track to Ashbourne finally being lifted in 1964

The site today

The track bed from Ashbourne to Parsley Hay was acquired by Derbyshire County Council and the Peak National Park in 1968 for a cycle and walking route. This, the Tissington Trail was one of the first of such ventures in the country. Later, Ashbourne Tunnel was acquired by Sustrans.

ee also

* Cromford and High Peak Railway

References

* Bentley, J.M., Fox, G.K., (1997) "Railways of the High Peak: Buxton to Ashbourne (Scenes From The Past series 32)," Romiley: Foxline Publishing
*
*

External links

* [http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/hptt/ Tissington & High Peak Trails - access and facilities]
* [http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/paths/penninebridleway.html The Pennine Bridleway]


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.