Staveley Central railway station


Staveley Central railway station

Infobox UK disused station
name = Staveley Central


caption = Site of Staveley Central in 2004, now part of the Trans-Pennine Trail
gridref = SK435749
line = MS&LR
manager = Great Central Railway
owner = LNER
British Railways
locale = Staveley
borough = Chesterfield
platforms = 4
years1 = 1 June 1892
events1 = Opened (Staverley Town)
years2 = 25 September 1950
events2 = Renamed (Staveley Central)
years3 = 4 March 1963
events3 = Closed

Staveley Central was a railway station in Staveley near Chesterfield, Derbyshire.

The station was on the Great Central Main Line which ran between London and Manchester. It was opened on 1st June 1892 as Staveley Town, renamed Staveley Central on 25th September 1950 by British Railways to prevent confusion with the nearby ex-Midland Railway station of the same name and closed on 4th March 1963.

The station was the northern junction for the loop line to Chesterfield and so had four platforms. The timber-built booking hall was on a road overbridge and there was a waiting room on each platform. The station was also the junction for branches to the Ireland, Hartington and Markham Collieries and at the south end was Staveley Engine Shed (shed code 18D in BR days).

The location of the station is now being turned into a new road to link to the M1 junction 29A.

###@@@KEYEND@@@###


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.