- Clay Cross railway station
Clay Cross Location Place Clay Cross Area Derbyshire Operations Original company North Midland Railway Pre-grouping Midland Railway Post-grouping LMS
History 1840 Opened 1967 Closed Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
It was originally planned to have been built within the Clay Cross Tunnel, however it was clear that it would be impossible to ventilate it effectively, so instead it was built at the northern entrance - nearer to Tupton.
The original station was the usual Francis Thompson Italianate design. In 1879 the line from the Midland Counties Railway was built through the Erewash Valley meeting the North Midland at the station, which had platforms serving two passenger lines, with two goods lines passing to the east, which continued the whole way down the Erewash Valley. The station was rebuilt in the Midland Railway style and, at some time, it was enlarged to serve four tracks, with two outer platforms and an island platform in the middle.
The station was closed in 1967. There is no longer any trace of the station ever being there. There is talk of re-building the station, but plans are only in their infancy.
North of Clay Cross, there developed very busy Coal sidings, particularly those serving the Avenue Coal Carbonisation Plant. A locomotive shed was built at Hasland in 1861 with at one time as many as sixty engines. In the 1960s it supported sixteen Garratt 2-6-6-2 locomotives used for the coal traffic from Yorkshire.
The next station northwards was at Chesterfield.
- Pixton, B., (2000) North Midland: Portrait of a Famous Route, Chelteham: Runpast Publishing
- Maps of the area including the rail junction
- "Picture the Past" The Original Station at Clay Cross
- "Picture the Past" Clay Cross station circa 1900
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.