Long Eaton (MCR) railway station


Long Eaton (MCR) railway station

The original Long Eaton railway station was built in 1839 for the Midland Counties Railway, which shortly joined the North Midland Railway and the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway to form the Midland Railway.

Situated on Meadow Lane, it was the second station from Nottingham. In 1847 a second station was opened on Nottingham Road on the newly built Erewash Valley Line.

The first was closed in 1862 when the junctions were realigned and Trent railway station was built.

In 1863, the Nottingham Road station was replaced by yet another on Station Street, which remained in service until 1967.

Sawley Junction was renamed Long Eaton in the 1990s.

References

* "The Nottingham and Derby Railway Companion," (1839) Republished 1979 with Foreword by J.B.Radford, Derbyshire Record Society

External links

* [http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/cgi-bin/big.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturethepast&keyval=picturethepast.ref_no=DCHQ000880 "Picture the Past" Long Eaton Old 1839-1862 MCR Station in 1952]


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.