- Canadians of Dutch descent
Roméo Dallaire . Cornelius Krieghoff Total population 1,035,965
3.12% of the Canadian Population
Regions with significant populations Ontario, Western Canada, Atlantic Canada, Quebec Languages Religion
Protestant, Roman Catholic
Related ethnic groups
According to the Canada 2006 Census, there are 1,035,965 Canadians of Dutch descent, including those of full or partial ancestry.
The first Dutch people to come to Canada were Dutch-Americans among the United Empire Loyalists. The largest wave was in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century when large numbers of Dutch helped settle the Canadian west. During this period significant numbers also settled in major cities like Toronto. While interrupted by the First World War this migration returned in the 1920s, but again halted during the Great Depression and Second World War. After world war II a large number of Dutch immigrants moved to Canada, including a number of war brides of the Canadian soldiers who liberated the Netherlands. During the war Canada had sheltered Crown Princess Juliana and her family. The annual Canadian Tulip Festival held in May commemorates her with a generous amount of the Tulips coming from The Netherlands. Due to these close links Canada became a popular destination for Dutch immigrants. The Canadian government encouraged this, recruiting skilled workers. This post-war wave went mainly to urban centres such as Toronto, Ottawa, and Vancouver. With the economic recovery of the Netherlands in the post-war years immigration to Canada greatly slowed.
While one of the largest minority groups in Canada, Dutch Canadians have tended to rapidly assimilate and there are relatively few Dutch Canadian organizations and media. One important institution is the Christian Reformed Church in North America, with most congregations found throughout Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario. The Institute for Christian Studies in Toronto, The King's University College in Edmonton, and Redeemer University College in Ancaster, Ontario are associated with this Dutch Reformed/Calvinist denomination. Christian Schools International, the Christian Labour Association of Canada, and the Christian Farmers Federation of Ontario are organizations with strong Dutch-Canadian roots.
Dutch Canadians, because of their shared cultural and religious heritage, tend to form tight knit communities. This has led to an in-joke known as Dutch Bingo , where it is said that a Dutch Canadian is able to figure out his/her connection to another Dutch Canadian by asking questions about the other's last name, town of birth, church and the college they attended.
Notable Canadians of Dutch descent
- Parzival Copes (1924 - ) economist with a particular interest in regional science and specialization in fisheries economics and management
- Sidney van den Bergh (1929 - ) astronomer
- Mark Brodwin (1974 - ) astrophysicist
Arts and Entertainment
- Pamela Anderson (1967 - ) actress (Dutch maternal side and Finnish on paternal side)
- Neve Campbell (1973 - ) actress.
- David Cronenberg (1943 - ) film director
- Sarah de Leeuw (1973 - ) writer. (Dutch descent)
- Kristen Hager (1984 - ) actress. (Dutch descent)
- Aart Kemink (1914 - 2006) painter.
- Kristin Kreuk (1982 - ) actress.
- Cornelius Krieghoff (1815 - 1872) painter.)
- Robert Naylor (1996 - ) actor (Dutch descent, maternal. Great-grandson of Hendrik Ellard Dykhuis, nee Dijkhuis. Mark Brodiwn, astrophysicist, and Karl Dykhuis, retired NHLer are grandsons of Hendrik Ellard Dykhuis, nee Dijkhuis. Mark Brodwin and Karl Dykhuis are distantly related to Hendrik Brugt Gerhard Casimir FRS (July 15, 1909 in The Hague, Netherlands – May 4, 2000 in Heeze) was a Dutch physicist best known for his research on the two-fluid model of superconductors (together with C. J. Gorter) in 1934 and the Casimir effect (together with D. Polder) in 1948.)
- Patricia Rozema (1958 - ) writer, director
- Sonja Smits (1958 - ) actress. (Dutch descent)
- Cobie Smulders (1982 - ) actress.
- Dorothy Stratten (1960-1980) model.
- Johnny Terris - filmmaker.
- Aritha Van Herk (1954 - ) writer.
- William Cornelius Van Horne (1843-1915) president of CPR
Politics and Civil Service
- Roméo Dallaire (1946 - ), senator, humanitarian, author and general
- Simon De Jong (1942 - ) former parliamentarian
- Rick Dykstra (1966 - ) Conservative MP St. Catharines
- John Gerretsen (1942 - ) politician
- Samuel Holland (1728 - 1801) Royal Engineer and first Surveyor General of British North America
- John Oostrom (1930 - ) first Dutch born MP
- Case Ootes - city councillor in Toronto. He served as deputy mayor under Mayor Mel Lastman and represents one of the two Toronto—Danforth wards.
- Peter Stoffer (1956 - ) NDP MP Sackville-Eastern Shore
- Bill Vander Zalm (1934 - ) politician and entrepreneur in British Columbia, Canada. He was the 28th Premier of British Columbia from 1986 to 1991
- Elizabeth Witmer (1946 - ) Ontario cabinet minister
- John van Dongen Abbotsford, British Columbia Liberal MLA, since 1995.
- Mike de Jong Abbotsford, British Columbia Liberal MLA, since 1994.
- Evert van Benthem (1958 - ), speed skater, won the Elfstedentocht in 1985 and 1986
- Petra Burka (1946 - ) Olympic figure skater
- Karl Dykhuis (1972- ) Ice hockey player; first cousin of Mark Brodwin (1974 - ) astrophysicist.
- Adam van Koeverden (1982 - ) Olympic gold medalist in K-1 500 m. His last name relates him to the Dutch city of Coevorden
- Trevor Linden (1970 - ) ice hockey player in the National Hockey League (NHL) for the Vancouver Canucks
- Dwight Lodeweges (1957 - ) footballer and coach
- Joe Nieuwendyk (1966 - ) ice hockey player in the National Hockey League (NHL) for the Florida Panthers
- Beorn Nijenhuis (1984 - ) speed skater, who represents the Netherlands at the 2006 Winter Olympics
- John van 't Schip (1963 - ) footballer
- Eric Staal (1984 - ) ice hockey player in the National Hockey League (NHL) for the Carolina Hurricanes
- Jordan Staal (1988 - ) ice hockey player in the National Hockey League (NHL) for the Pittsburgh Penguins
- Bruce Timmermans ( - 1999) activist cyclist and founder of Citizens for Safe Cycling Ottawa 
- Kelly VanderBeek (1983 - ) Alpine Skier
- Mike Vanderjagt (1970 - ) the most accurate kicker in NFL history. Played for the Indianapolis Colts and Dallas Cowboys and is currently a Free Agent.
- Greg de Vries (1973 - ) Ice hockey player
- Steve Yzerman (1965 - ) retired NHL player for the Detroit Red Wings
- ^ University of Toronto Astronomy and Astrophysics Library :'UofT asteroids
- ^ [www.astro.utoronto.ca/theses/thesis04.brodwin.pdf] 
- ^ goDutch.com :: Former UN commander Dallaire writes book on Rwanda massacre
- ^ Welcome to... / Bienvenue à
- ^ ABCBookWorld
- ^  Dutch born
- ^ Beorn Nijenhuis Fan Site - A Tribute to the World Champion Ice Speed Skater
- ^ http://www.safecycling.ca
- Canadian Encyclopedia - Dutch
- DCA: Dutch Canadian Association - Dutch Canadians
- CAANS: Canadian Association for the Advancement of Netherlandic Studies - Dutch Canadians
- Maandblad de Krant, Monthly Magazine for Canadians and Americans of Dutch Origin
- Historical articles about postwar Dutch immigration to Canada and the USA
Dutch diaspora Africa Americas Asia EuropeUnited Kingdom · France · Germany · Scandinavia Oceania see also
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Canadians of Danish descent — Danish Canadian … Wikipedia
Dutch diaspora — The Dutch diaspora is the movement, migration, or scattering of the Dutch away from the Netherlands. Emigration from the Netherlands has been happening for at least the last eight centuries. In several former Dutch colonies and trading… … Wikipedia
Dutch American — Nederlandse Amerikanen … Wikipedia
Dutch Chilean — chileno holandes or chileno neerlandés Notable Dutch Chileans: Jacqueline van Rysselberghe Total population 50,000 Regions with significa … Wikipedia
Dutch New Zealander — Nederlandse Nieuw Zeelander Hayley Westenra Total population 100,000  … Wikipedia
Dutch Australian — Nederlandse Australiër Notable Dutch Australians: Richie Vandenberg , Nathan van Berlo … Wikipedia
Dutch people — This article is about the ethnic group known as the Dutch and their descendants world wide. For information on the population of the Netherlands, see Demographics of the Netherlands. The Dutch (Nederlanders) Street view in a small Dutch town… … Wikipedia
Dutch (ethnic group) — Infobox Ethnic group group=The Dutch (Nederlanders) Dutch people talking on the street poptime= 20 million 31.5 million(Blue → Dutch born) (Green → Reported ancestry) region1 = flagcountry|Netherlands pop1 = 13,186,600 (Ethnic Dutch)… … Wikipedia
Canadians of Czech ethnicity — Notable Czech Canadian: Josef Škvorecký Total population 98,090 Regions with significant populations Alberta, B … Wikipedia
Canadian-Dutch relations — describes the foreign relations between Canada and the Netherlands. History Dutch relations with what later become Canada began with the founding of the first Dutch colonies in North America (New Netherland) and their conflict with the… … Wikipedia