- Computer engineering
Computer engineering, also called computer systems engineering, is a discipline that integrates several fields of electrical engineering and computer science required to develop computer systems. Computer engineers usually have training in electronic engineering, software design, and hardware-software integration instead of only software engineering or electronic engineering. Computer engineers are involved in many hardware and software aspects of computing, from the design of individual microprocessors, personal computers, and supercomputers, to circuit design. This field of engineering not only focuses on how computer systems themselves work, but also how they integrate into the larger picture.
Usual tasks involving computer engineers include writing software and firmware for embedded microcontrollers, designing VLSI chips, designing analog sensors, designing mixed signal circuit boards, and designing operating systems. Computer engineers are also suited for robotics research, which relies heavily on using digital systems to control and monitor electrical systems like motors, communications, and sensors.
The first accredited computer engineering degree program in the United States was established at Case Western Reserve University in 1971. As of October 2004[update], there were 170 ABET-accredited computer engineering programs in the US. Due to increasing job requirements for engineers, who can concurrently design hardware, software, firmware, and manage all forms of computer systems used in industry, some tertiary institutions around the world offer a bachelor's degree generally called computer engineering. Both computer engineering and electronic engineering programs include analog and digital circuit design in their curricular. As with most engineering disciplines, having a sound knowledge of mathematics and sciences is necessary for computer engineers.
In many institutions, computer engineering students are allowed to choose areas of in-depth study in their junior and senior year, because the full breadth of knowledge used in the design and application of computers is beyond the scope of an undergraduate degree. Other institutions may require engineering students to complete one year of General Engineering before declaring computer engineering as their primary focus.  
As of 2011, the average starting salary was $51,018, up 4.8% from $48,661 in 2010. 
- ^ IEEE Computer Society; ACM (12 December 2004). Computer Engineering 2004: Curriculum Guidelines for Undergraduate Degree Programs in Computer Engineering. p. iii. http://www.computer.org/portal/cms_docs_ieeecs/ieeecs/education/cc2001/CCCE-FinalReport-2004Dec12-Final.pdf. Retrieved 2006-04-21. "Computer System engineering has traditionally been viewed as a combination of both electronic engineering (EE) and computer science (CS)."
- ^ Trinity College Dublin. "What is Computer System Engineering". http://www.tcd.ie/Engineering/about/what_is_eng/computer_eng_intro.html. Retrieved 2006-04-21. , "Computer engineers need not only to understand how computer systems themselves work, but also how they integrate into the larger picture. Consider the car. A modern car contains many separate computer systems for controlling such things as the engine timing, the brakes and the air bags. To be able to design and implement such a car, the computer engineer needs a broad theoretical understanding of all these various subsystems & how they interact."
- ^ IEEE Computer Society; ACM (12 December 2004). Computer Engineering 2004: Curriculum Guidelines for Undergraduate Degree Programs in Computer Engineering. p. 7. http://www.computer.org/portal/cms_docs_ieeecs/ieeecs/education/cc2001/CCCE-FinalReport-2004Dec12-Final.pdf. Retrieved 2006-04-21. "In the United States, the first computer engineering program accredited by ABET (formerly the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) was at Case Western Reserve University in 1972. As of October 2004, ABET has accredited over 170 computer engineering or similarly named programs."
- ^ "Changing Majors @ Clemson". http://www.registrar.clemson.edu/html/changeMjr_Curr.htm. Clemson University.
- ^ "Declaring a College of Engineering Major". http://freshmanengineering.uark.edu/2040.php. University of Arkansas.
- ^ "Degree Requirements". http://www.cmu.edu/me/undergraduate/degree-requirements.html. Carnegie Mellon University.
- ^ "Average Salary Offer to College Class of 2011 Rises 4.8 Percent". http://www.naceweb.org/Press/Releases/Average_Salary_Offer_to_College_Class_of_2011_Rises_4_8_Percent.aspx?referal=pressroom&menuid=273.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
computer engineering — study of designing developing and building computers … English contemporary dictionary
Topic outline of computer engineering — Computer engineering (CE) is the design and development of computer systems. It is often considered a hybrid between Electrical Engineering and Computer Science due to the utilization of both hardware and software technologies in the field. The… … Wikipedia
List of universities with Computer Engineering programs — The following is a list of universities with Computer engineering programs. Argentina* Universidad Nacional del Sur [ [http://www.uns.edu.ar/carreras/plan.asp?dependen=00016 carrera=00128 Departamento de Ciencias e Ingeniería de la Computación… … Wikipedia
Outline of computer engineering — Microprocessors, like the Intel 80486DX2 die shown here, are a central component to many Computer Engineering applications. Computer engineering (CE) is the design and development of computer systems. It is often considered a hybrid between… … Wikipedia
Purdue University School of Electrical and Computer Engineering — Infobox University name = Purdue University School of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) motto = established = 1888 type = endowment = head = Professor Mark J.T. Smith city = flagicon|USA West Lafayette state = IN country = USA campus =… … Wikipedia
Department of Computer Engineering, Chulalongkorn University — Department of Computer Engineering Established 1975 Head of Department Assc. Prof. Wiwat Vatanawood Academic staff 40 Admin. staff 13 Undergraduates 500 … Wikipedia
Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering, SLIIT — Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering Established 2006 Type Academic department Department Head Dr. Malitha Wijesundara Admin. staff 17 Students 450 … Wikipedia
Department of Computer Engineering, University of Peradeniya — Department of Computer Engineering Established 2001 Department Head Dr. Manjula Sandirigama Academic staff Faculty of Engineering Admin. staff 10 Students 182 … Wikipedia
Shanghai University Computer Engineering Science School — Shanghai University School of Computer Engineering and Science is considered a leading school in computer science and engineering fields in Shanghai, China, the school was one of earliest established in Shanghai. Professor Sanli Li, Dean of the… … Wikipedia
ITU Computer Engineering — HistoryThe computer engineering education at the Istanbul Technical University has started as a division of the Control and Computer Engineering Department in Electrical and Electronics Faculty in [1980. The division was re organized as a… … Wikipedia