Westchester-Putnam Council

Westchester-Putnam Council
Westchester-Putnam Council
Westchester-Putnam Council
Owner Boy Scouts of America
Country United States
Founded 1973
Scouting portal

Westchester-Putnam Council is a local council of the Boy Scouts of America, serving Boy Scouts in southeastern New York State.



In the 1920s, both Westchester and Putnam counties were served by many individual councils that were based in the cities of the area. Among them were the Bronx Valley Council which served the Mount Vernon area, the Siwanoy Council which served the New Rochelle area, and a separate Yonkers Council which served that city. In 1958, the Bronx Valley Council joined with the Siwanoy Council, forming the Bronx Valley-Siwanoy Council. The name was later changed to Hutchinson River Council in 1962.

In northern Westchester, the Hendrick Hudson Council, which served the Ossining area, and the James Fennimore Cooper Council, which served the White Plains-Bedford-Brewster area, merged to form the Washington Irving Council in 1950. The Yonkers Council was later absorbed in 1955. In 1973, the Washington Irving Council merged with Hutchinson River Council to form the present-day Westchester-Putnam Council, originally headquartered in White Plains. In 1993, the council headquarters were relocated to Hawthorne, NY.

The Westchester-Putnam Council is currently split up into six Districts: Muscoot, Manitoga, Mohican, Four Rivers, Algonquin, and New Horizons. The "New Horizons" district does not serve any one specific geographic area, but instead provides the Scouting program to low-income and minority communities across the region. At one time, there was a Wiccopee District serving Phillipstown, Putnam Valley, Peekskill, Cortlandt and Yorktown in the Westchester-Putnam area, but these locations are now served by the Manitoga District.


The Westchester-Putnam Council is divided into 6 districts:

Camps and other properties

Curtis S. Read Scout Reservation

The sign at the front of Camp Read.

Curtis S. Read Scout Reservation, also known as Camp Read, is a camp located in the Adirondack Mountains in Brant Lake, New York. It consists of three camps: Waubeeka, Buckskin, and Summit Base. There are two dirt roads which make most of the camp accessible by car in the warmer months. The name Camp Read was used for several Boy Scout camps operated by the Council and its predecessors since the 1920s. The present-day Camp Read was named in 1949.

Camp Waubeeka

A boat race in Waubeeka Lake

Camp Waubeeka, which opened in 1969, is a camp within the Read Scout Reservation. When it first opened, and for the first few years of its existence, the camp was named Camp Proposed; a name derived from the words "proposed camp" on the original reservation plan. Boy Scout troops come to Camp Waubeeka to camp-out in tents and earn merit badges in a variety of disciplines: Waterfront, Scoutcraft, Shooting Sports (Archery, Riflery and Shotgun Shooting), Ecology and Conservation (or "ECON"), and Handicraft. To earn the Horsemanship merit badge or other badges at Summit Base, scouts must travel at least four miles (6 km) on foot or take the regularly scheduled van that operates camp-wide.

In Camp Waubeeka, scouts cook their own meals in a patrol-style cook site. Food is cooked on top of square wood-burning stoves called sheep herders or on top of a half-barrel grill. No food is stored in the campsites, but utensils and condiments can be kept in "monster boxes" (large wooden boxes) which are locked at night to keep animals away from the campsites.

The camp has its own man-made lake, Waubeeka Lake, where Small Boat Sailing merit badge classes are offered and the camp-wide water carnival takes place. Small-Boat Sailing is made available for scouts from Buckskin, because the Buckskin waterfront is unsuitable for this type of watercraft.

Waubeeka has a large group of staff members and CITs (Counselors-In-Training) serving scouts in each Merit Badge program area and in the commissary, trading post, quartermaster's office and camp office. The commissary is where scouts are sent by their patrol leaders to get food rations three times a day before each meal. The quartermaster's office rations out cooking equipment weekly.

Camp Waubeeka has six functional campsites, five of which after high peaks in the Adirondacks: Cascade, Avalanche, Haystack, Sunrise, and Wolfjaw. Camp Waubeeka also has three decommissioned campsites, Cobble and Skylight, which were abandoned in the early 1990s and are currently used for nature observation. And Klondike Notch, which was removed when nearby Rose Drive was constructed Scouts traveling on the designated trails through these areas can see old cots, old platforms and an old latrine. . Showers and latrines are located around the camp for general use. In 2010, Camp Waubeeka received a new camp shower house, known colloquially as the Wolfjaw shower house due to its location next to Wolfjaw.

Camp Buckskin

Newton Hall, the dining hall for Buckskin

Camp Buckskin is the largest camp on the reservation where scouts can camp out in platform tents and earn merit badges. There are fourteen different campsites, among them Teheco, Pawnee, Ranger, and Blackfoot. Throughout the course of the summer there are a variety of events and competitions. There are also opening and closing campfires every week.

Scouts eat three meals a day in Newton Hall, the main dining hall, unless they are enrolled in the Cooking merit badge program of study. The option is also available for troops to cook meals at their own campsites. The field in front of Newton Hall is known as the "parade field" where ceremonies such as the daily lowering and raising of the flag take place. The field is also used for recreational purposes, like games of Ultimate Frisbee or soccer. Located nearby are the First Aid office, Main Office, campfire area and Trading Post.

Camp Buckskin has its own lake, known as Rogers Lake. At the waterfront scouts can earn aquatics merit badges, participate in instructional swim courses or just check out rowboats, canoes or other watercraft.

Campers can earn merit badges in the Scoutcraft, Handicraft, Aquatics, Ecology (known as the "ECON" Lodge for "ecology" and "conservation"), and Field Sports program areas. These different areas offer a wide variety of merit badges; including some Eagle Scout required merit badges such as Camping, Environmental Science, First Aid, Swimming, Lifesaving and Emergency Preparedness. For merit badge requirements and recreation, there are shooting ranges for shotguns, rifles, and archery. A program designed for newer scouts helps orient them to scouting, camping and rank advancement. Recently, this program was named the Anthony Long Rank Advancement Program in memory of a past staff member.

Showers and latrines are available around the camp. For the summers of 2008, 2009 and 2010, new latrines were built in several locations throughout camp. In 2009 and 2010 three new shower houses with private stalls where erected for usage by the scouts and leaders.

Summit Base

Summit Base is a nationally recognized and accredited Adirondack High Adventure base camp at Read Scout Reservation. Mount Stevens, a relatively small peak, is located here. There is a large field and a few campsites, including lean-tos for use by scouts and adventurers. The staff at Summit Base guide week-long canoe and hiking treks. A climbing wall and showers are available for general use.

A long dirt road leads to a big grassland where the remnants of an early 20th century racetrack are located, much of it still visible. The racetrack area is home to a high and low ropes course, known as COPE (Challenging Outdoor Personal Experience). Summit Base also has a man-made lake where scouts can use an 80-foot (24 m) zipline.

During the 1960s, Summit Base was known as Camp Tomahawk. Tomahawk formed individual scouts into provisional troops to participate in activities at Read Scout Reservation with full formal troops. The small man-made lake was then known as Lester's Lake.

There are horse stables located on the reservation where scouts can earn the equestrian merit badge. A small, old-style house located on the reservation is made available in the winter for skiing in the Adirondacks.

Durland Scout Reservation (formerly Clear Lake Scout Reservation)

Durland Scout Reservation is located in Putnam Valley, New York in Putnam County adjacent to Clarence Fahnestock State Park, with many interconnecting trails.

In 1968, environmentalist and National Geographic director of exploration William O. Field sold his 1,400 acres (6 km2) of wilderness to the Boy Scouts of America. New York State was also interested in the land to expand the existing Clarence Fahnestock State Park, but Field felt that the Boy Scouts would be better caretakers and keep the land "forever wild." The property became the Clear Lake Scout Reservation. In 1993, the Westchester-Putnam Council had considered a $4.5 million sale to developers who would construct a golf course on the property. After careful consideration and much heated debate, plans to sell the camp were cancelled.

In 2007, Clear Lake Scout Reservation was renamed for Agatha Durland, who had previously donated waterfront property and a trust to maintain a Scout aquatic center in Rye, NY. With the sale of the Rye property to private developers, the name and trust were transferred to the Clear Lake Scout Reservation property.

Durland offers improved sites for tent camping and unimproved areas for trek and wilderness camping. Cabins and outdoor pavilions are available for rental year round for various Scout activities. Durland is also one of the sites for the Council's Cub Scout Day Camp summer program.

Defunct camps

Siwanoy Scout Camp

Camp Siwanoy was a 740-acre Scout Camp located in Wingdale, New York, which opened in 1926. A popular year-round camp with Scouts from all over the Westchester-Putnam region, attendance for summer camp fell off in the late 1980s. Attendance had dropped so much that summer camp activities were closed in 1987. Summer camp resumed at Siwanoy for the 1988 season, but attendance continued to wane. Looking to consolidate the summer camp program to Camp Read, the Council decided to close Camp Siwanoy in the late 1990s. The property was sold to a private developer.

Durland Aquatic Scout Center

Located at 310 Stuyvesant Avenue on Milton Point, in Rye, Durland Scout Center was the only Boy Scout land on the Atlantic Ocean. It was built through the generosity of poet Agatha A. Durland, who died on December 5, 1963. Durland's will left a 2.68 acre estate (Harbor Lights) and $2 million to what was then the Hutchinson River Council.[1] The trust was to continue for a period of 20 years, during which time the income was to be used for the benefit of Durland Scout Center. Upon termination of the trust, the principal was to be distributed to the council on condition that it execute an agreement providing for the continuance of the Durland Scout Center.[2]
On February 23, 2004, the Westchester-Putnam Council Executive Board voted to put Durland Scout Center up for sale and to commence a court proceeding in order to confirm that the sale of the center and reestablishment of Camp Durland at the Clear Lake Scout Reservation were consistent with the terms of Durland's will. During the summer of 2004, the Council initiated the will construction proceeding with the Westchester County Surrogate's Court. In a decision dated December 14, 2004, the court held that the will permits the Council to sell and relocate Camp Durland and reestablish it, leaving to the Council's discretion what facilities and activities needed to be provided at Clear Lake Scout Reservation. The property was listed for sale in February 2005 at $8,700,000.
In the summer of 2007, the Durland Scout Center was closed and the property was sold to private developers. The proceeds are being used to develop other camp facilities in the Council.

Camp Wiccopee

The Hendrick Hudson Council once owned a 400-acre property of unknown name on Roaring Brook near Millwood and Ossining. It was sold to New York State for $30,000 in 1928. James Carter, president of the council, authorized the sale in wake of the state's offer. The land was used for Echo Lake State Park and an NYSDOT Maintenance Yard. The Council later operated the 236-acre Camp Wiccopee at Thompkins Corners (Cold Spring). In 1934, Scouts renovated an old farmhouse on the Camp Wiccopee property into Rotary Lodge with the help of local Rotary Clubs across the district. The dining room had a capacity of 96 Scouts. The camp office and infirmary were located on the second floor. The camp had a capacity of 100–150 boys. The camp was closed 1941–1948 due to wartime material restrictions, but reopened for the 1948 season. It is unknown when this camp first opened, but it appears that successor Washington Irving Council placed the property on the market in the early 1950s. Summer homes on the Camp Wiccopee property were being advertised in 1954.

Curtis S. Read Memorial Camp

Curtis S. Read Memorial Scout Camp opened on the shores of Long Pond, near Lake Mahopac in Putnam County, in 1920. The camp's capacity was 50 boys, and was supervised by S.P. Hines, the local Scout Executive. Camp Read would later move to Camp Waubeeka in Copake, NY, and Siwanoy in Wingdale, NY, before finding a permanent home in the Adirondacks in 1949. A Girl Scout camp Known as Rock Hill Camp opened in its place later on.

Camp Waubeeka

Camp Waubeeka was a Boy Scout camp once located in Copake, NY, operated by the now defunct Bronx Valley Council. The Waubeeka name was carried north and is now one of three camps at the Curtis S. Read Scout Reservation, which opened in 1969. The Camp Waubeeka property in Copake was sold by successor Westchester-Putnam Council in 1975. A portion of the proceeds from the sale went towards financing the debt on the purchase of the Clear Lake property.

Purdy Scout Reservation

The 48 acre Purdy Scout Reservation was a Boy Scout camp located in White Plains, NY, which opened in 1950. John G. "Tiny" Sperling was the Camp Ranger; Sperling Pond at Durland Scout Reservation was named in his honor. In 1978, the council sold the 48-acre site to business park developers for $3 million. By this time, the camp was surrounded by suburban development, office parks, and I-287; all of which made for a less-than-ideal camping experience. The sale finally closed in 1982.

Allen Reservation

In 1941, a gift from the Allen Foundation was used to purchase 45 acres along Mamaroneck Avenue in Harrison for use as the Allen Scout Reservation. The camp was located across from present-day Saxon Woods Park. The property was sold off in 1977.

Camp Osborn

Camp Osborn was a property owned by the Boy Scouts located near Oscawanna Corners, near the intersection of Canopus Hill Road and Canopus Hollow Road. The 40 acre property was sold off in 1981, with a remaining small 26-acre parcel sold off in 1984.

Ktemaque Lodge

Ktemaque Lodge
Founded 1973

Westchester-Putnam Council is also home to the Ktemaque Lodge of the Order of the Arrow.


One of the oldest OA lodges in the organization, it can trace its roots to Chappegat Lodge formed in 1923. Chappegat was originally chartered to the Siwanoy Council. In 1957, Chappegat merged with Hanigus (formed in 1930 and chartered to the Bronx Valley Council) to form Mide. The merged lodge was charted to the Hutchinson River Council.

Up north, Wiccopee was formed in 1936 and charted to Hendrick Hudson Council. This lodge disbanded in 1947 and reformed in 1948 as Great Horned Owl. In 1943, Wakoda was formed and chartered to the Fennimore Cooper Council. Great Horned Owl 86 was merged into Wakoda in 1951. Back south, Kitchawonk 32 was formed in 1927 and chartered to Yonkers Council. The lodge rechartered in 1947 as Tahawus 32. In 1955, Tahawus was merged into Wakoda Lodge and became Horicon, chartered with Washington Irving Council.

In 1973, Horicon was merged into Mide 15 to become Ktemaque, chartered with the newly formed Westchester-Putnam Council. Ktemaque is a Delaware Indian word meaning "from the land of the beaver," harkening back to the original totem of Chappegat Lodge. Order of the Arrow is very active in the region, helping to organize Eager Beaver weekends to help maintain the council's Scout camps and facilities.

See also

External links


  1. ^ $2 Million in Trust And Estate at Rye Left to Boy Scouts, The New York Times, April 2, 1964
  2. ^ Application of Chemical Bank as Trustee, 315 N.Y.S.2d 1011 (Sup. Ct. Westchester Cty. 1970))

Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries: