Edith Macy Conference Center


Edith Macy Conference Center

Infobox WorldScouting
type = campsite
name =


image-size =
caption =
headquarters =
location = Briarcliff Manor, New York
country = United States of America
f-date =
founder =
award-for =
members =
chiefscouttitle =
chiefscout =
owner = Girl Scouts of the USA

Edith Macy Conference Center is a conference and training facility owned by the Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA) and is located in Briarcliff Manor, New York. The site has had four names: "Camp Edith Macy (C.E.M.) - University In The Woods", "Edith Macy Training School", "Edith Macy Girl Scout National Center" and since 1982, "Edith Macy Conference Center". However, it is often simply referred to as "Macy". The John J. Creedon Education Center and Camp Andree Clark are part of the complex. In 1926, Macy hosted the Girl Guides and Girl Scouts Fourth International Conference.

Macy

Camp Edith Macy (C.E.M.) - University In The Woods

Edith Macy was the chair of the Girl Scout National Board of Directors from 1919 to 1925 and dreamed of a permanent Girl Scout training center. In 1925, V. Everit Macy donated land to be used as a national training school in memory of his wife. Camp Edith Macy opened in May 1926.

Fourth International Conference

The Fourth International Conference was held at Camp Edith Macy in 1926. World Thinking Day was created at this conference. [cite web| title =About World Thinking Day | publisher =WAGGGS | url=http://www.worldthinkingday.org/en/about | accessdate =2007-07-18]

Edith Macy Training School

Edith Macy Girl Scout National Center

Edith Macy Conference Center

Work on the conference center started in 1980 and it was opened in 1982. Facilities include a 200-seat amphitheatre. It is open to all organizations.

Camp Andree Clark

Facilities

Facilities at Camp Andree Clark are for use by Girl Scout groups only, unlike the other facilities as part of the Macy complex. There are two winterized cabins, The Lin House and The Friedsam House for groups to stay in. There is a picnic area, hiking trails and a small lake.

History

The site of Camp Andree Clark was donated in 1920 by former Senator and Mrs. William A. Clark in memory of their daughter who had been an enthusiastic Girl Scout until her death at age 16. The camp opened in 1921 as a national camp.

First Juliette Low Western Hemisphere Encampment

The First Juliette Low Western Hemisphere Encampment was held August 14-28, 1940 at Camp Andree Clark. Thirteen countries and colonies from the Western Hemisphere were represented by a total of 22 Girl Scouts and Girl Guides. Only one other Juliette Low Western Hemisphere Encampment was held.

ilver Jubilee

In 1937 an international camp was held at Camp Andree Clark to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of GSUSA. Girls from 26 countries attended. [cite web| title =Vintage Girl Scout Online Museum: Camp Andree Clark | date =2007-03-18 | url =http://www.vintagegirlscout.com/pins10.htm | accessdate =2007-07-18]

John J. Creedon Education Center

Girl Scout Outdoor Education Center, a national training laboratory in outdoor education, opened in January 1988. In October 1988, its name changed to John J. Creedon Camp of Tomorrow. It is now called John J. Creedon Education Center. It is a group of five buildings. It has a meeting space, dining facility, a recreation center and accommodation.

ee also

*Foxlease
*Philmont Scout Ranch
*Scouting in New York

References

External links

* [http://www.edithmacy.com Edith Macy Conference Center website]


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.