- Orchard Beach State Park
Orchard Beach State Park Location Lower Peninsula, Manistee County, Michigan USA Nearest city Manistee, Michigan Coordinates Coordinates: Area 201 acres (81 ha) Established 1921 Governing body Michigan Department of Natural Resources WebsiteOrchard Beach State Park NRHP Reference#: 09001064 Added to NRHP: December 8, 2009
Orchard Beach State Park is a 201-acre (81 ha) state park in Manistee Township, just north of Manistee, Michigan. Situated on a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan, the park offers a beach, campground and hiking trails.
The park was developed by the Manistee, Filer City and Eastlake Railway Company and opened in 1892. After the company stopped trolley service to the park, the site was purchased by the Manistee Board of Commerce and deeded to the state to become part of the Michigan state park system.
The National Register of Historic Places has called the park "one of the most intact examples of a Michigan state park developed in the 1930s and 1940s under National Park Service guidelines.... retain[ing] the majority of its CCC-era buildings and physical layout."
The building was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on December 8, 2009. The listing was announced as the featured listing in the National Park Service's weekly list of December 18, 2009.
- Camping - 166 modern sites, 1 cabin
- Picnic Area
- Picnic Shelter - Reservation required
- Hiking - 3 miles (4.8 km)
- Cross Country Skiing
- Metal Detecting
Nearby Points of Interest
- Manistee Trolley Rides
- ^ a b c "Announcements and actions on properties for the National Register of Historic Places". Weekly Listings. National Park Service. December 18, 2009. http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/listings/20091218.htm. Retrieved December 26, 2009.
- ^ a b Paul E. Janostak (2009). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Orchard Beach State Park" (PDF). National Park Service. http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/feature/weekly_features/OrchardBeachStatePark.pdf. Retrieved December 26, 2009. (26 pages, with map and 11 photos)
- ^ "Orchard Beach State Park". National Park Service. http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/feature/weekly_features/09_12_18_orchard_beach_state_park.htm.
- ^ "Weekly List Actions". National Park Service. http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/nrlist.htm. Retrieved December 26, 2009.
- Orchard Beach State Park Michigan Department of Natural Resources
- Orchard Beach State Park Protected Planet (World Database on Protected Areas)
- Orchard Beach State Park, National Register webpage
U.S. National Register of Historic Places Topics Lists by statesAlabama • Alaska • Arizona • Arkansas • California • Colorado • Connecticut • Delaware • Florida • Georgia • Hawaii • Idaho • Illinois • Indiana • Iowa • Kansas • Kentucky • Louisiana • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • Michigan • Minnesota • Mississippi • Missouri • Montana • Nebraska • Nevada • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New Mexico • New York • North Carolina • North Dakota • Ohio • Oklahoma • Oregon • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • South Carolina • South Dakota • Tennessee • Texas • Utah • Vermont • Virginia • Washington • West Virginia • Wisconsin • Wyoming Lists by territories Lists by associated states Other
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nyack Beach State Park — A path between the Palisade Sill and the Hudson Nyack Beach State Park is a 76 acre (31 ha) state park in Upper Nyack, Rockland County, New York. It consists of a small parking lot and 61 acres (25 ha) … Wikipedia
Orient Beach State Park — is a 363 acre state park located in the Town of Southold in Suffolk County, New York in the USA. The park is at the tip of the North Fork of Long Island. Long Beach, located in the park was des … Wikipedia
Orchard Beach, Maryland — Orchard Beach Unincorporated community … Wikipedia
Clark Reservation State Park — Glacier Lake and the cliff of the fossil waterfall in September. Clark Reservation State Park is a state park in Onondaga County, New York. The park is in the Town of DeWitt, south of Syracuse. It wa … Wikipedia
Beaver Island State Park — Map of Beaver Island State Park, with Beaver Island Parkway highlighted. Type State park Location Grand Island, New Y … Wikipedia
Niagara Falls State Park — Niagara Reservation U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. National Historic Landmark … Wikipedia
Sterling Forest State Park — For the Michigan state park with a similar name, see Sterling State Park. Sterling Forest State Park is a 17,953 acre (71.8 km2) park located in the Ramapo Mountains in Orange County, New York established in 1998; it is among the larger… … Wikipedia
Nissequogue River State Park — The Nissequogue River State Park is located on the banks and bluffs of the Nissequogue River in Kings Park, New York. The park was conceived in 1999, and established on the waterfront portion of the former Kings Park Psychiatric Center. The name… … Wikipedia
Chimney Bluffs State Park — Chimney Bluffs, New York A 1907 postcard of Chi … Wikipedia
Dewolf Point State Park — is a small park on Wellesley Island in the St. Lawrence River. Contents 1 Location in the State of New York 2 Features 2.1 Opening season 2.2 Facilities … Wikipedia