- Oskaloosa, Kansas
Oskaloosa, Kansas — City — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Kansas County Jefferson Area – Total 0.9 sq mi (2.4 km2) – Land 0.9 sq mi (2.4 km2) – Water 0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2) Elevation 1,119 ft (341 m) Population (2010) – Total 1,113 – Density 1,236.7/sq mi (477.5/km2) Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6) – Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5) ZIP code 66066 Area code(s) 785 FIPS code 20-53375 GNIS feature ID 0478510 Website City Website
Oskaloosa is a city in and the county seat of Jefferson County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 1,113. Oskaloosa is part of the Topeka, Kansas Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Oskaloosa is located at . It is at the intersection of U.S. Route 59 and K-92, approximately 15 miles north of Lawrence. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2), all of it land.(39.215849, -95.313800)
Historical populations Census Pop. %± 1960 807 — 1970 955 18.3% 1980 1,092 14.3% 1990 1,074 −1.6% 2000 1,165 8.5% 2010 1,113 −4.5% U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,165 people, 439 households, and 291 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,281.5 people per square mile (494.3/km²). There were 478 housing units at an average density of 525.8 per square mile (202.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.03% White, 0.52% Native American, 0.69% from other races, and 0.77% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.97% of the population.
There were 439 households out of which 35.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.7% were married couples living together, 11.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.5% were non-families. 29.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the city the population was spread out with 28.3% under the age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 26.0% from 25 to 44, 18.4% from 45 to 64, and 18.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 94.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $33,684, and the median income for a family was $41,477. Males had a median income of $35,043 versus $23,295 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,677. About 9.8% of families and 13.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.4% of those under age 18 and 9.4% of those age 65 or over.
- McKinley Burnett — leading figure in Brown v. Board of Education.
- James Reynolds — actor on Days of Our Lives for over 30 years.
- C. Wesley Roberts — Chairman of the Republican Party, father of U.S. Senator Pat Roberts.
- Dummy Taylor — deaf Major League Baseball pitcher.
- ^ a b "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST13&prodType=table. Retrieved March 27, 2011.
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
- City of Oskaloosa
- Oskaloosa - Directory of Public Officials
- Oskaloosa, Blue Skyways
- Oskaloosa Public Library
Municipalities and communities of Jefferson County, KansasCounty seat: Oskaloosa Cities Townships Unincorporated
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Oskaloosa (Kansas) — Oskaloosa Ciudad de los Estados Unidos … Wikipedia Español
Oskaloosa (Kansas) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Oskaloosa. 39° 12′ 57″ N 95° 18′ 50″ W … Wikipédia en Français
Oskaloosa (Kansas) — Oskaloosa Lage in Kansas … Deutsch Wikipedia
Oskaloosa — ist der Name mehrerer Orte in den Vereinigten Staaten: Oskaloosa (Illinois) Oskaloosa (Iowa) Oskaloosa (Kansas) Oskaloosa (Missouri) Diese Seite ist eine Begriffsklärung zur Unterscheidung mehrerer mit demselben Wort bezeich … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kansas locations by per capita income — Kansas has the twenty sixth highest per capita income in the United States, at $20,506 (2000). Its personal per capita income is $29,935 (2003). TOC Kansas counties ranked by per capita incomeThere are 105 counties located in Kansas, one of which … Wikipedia
Oskaloosa — may refer to a place in the United States: Oskaloosa, Iowa Oskaloosa, Kansas This disambiguation page lists articles about distinct geographical locations with the same name. If an internal link … Wikipedia
Oskaloosa Township, Jefferson County, Kansas — Oskaloosa Township Township Location in Jefferson County … Wikipedia
Oskaloosa — Oskaloosa, IA U.S. city in Iowa Population (2000): 10938 Housing Units (2000): 4945 Land area (2000): 6.862939 sq. miles (17.774930 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.015063 sq. miles (0.039012 sq. km) Total area (2000): 6.878002 sq. miles (17.813942… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Oskaloosa, KS — U.S. city in Kansas Population (2000): 1165 Housing Units (2000): 478 Land area (2000): 0.909109 sq. miles (2.354582 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.909109 sq. miles (2.354582 sq. km) FIPS code … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Oskaloosa Township — ist der Name mehrerer Townships in den Vereinigten Staaten: Oskaloosa Township (Illinois) Oskaloosa Township (Kansas) Diese Seite ist eine Begriffsklärung zur Unterscheidung mehrerer mit demselben Wort bezeichneter Begriffe … Deutsch Wikipedia