- Derby, Kansas
Derby, Kansas — City — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Kansas County Sedgwick Area – Total 7.5 sq mi (19.3 km2) – Land 7.4 sq mi (19.3 km2) – Water 0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2) Elevation 1,293 ft (394 m) Population (2010) – Total 22,158 – Density 2,954.4/sq mi (1,140.7/km2) Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6) – Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5) ZIP code 67037 Area code(s) 316 FIPS code 20-17800 GNIS feature ID 0474332 Website www.DerbyWeb.com
Derby is a city in Sedgwick County, Kansas, United States. Formerly known as El Paso, it is a suburb of Wichita. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 22,158. As of 2008 the population was estimated at 22,517, making it the 17th largest city in the state of Kansas. Derby was recently named one of the "10 Best Towns for Families" by Family Circle magazine.
In 1871, the town of El Paso was laid out and platted. In 1880, the Santa Fe Railway changed the name of the town to Derby.
- Derby Historical Museum, 208 N Westview St. Located in the original high school.
- Rock River Rapids, 1900 E James St. An aquatic park.
Historical populations Census Pop. %± 1990 14,699 — 2000 17,807 21.1% 2010 22,158 24.4% U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 17,807 people, 6,196 households, and 4,969 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,391.6 people per square mile (922.9/km²). There were 6,407 housing units at an average density of 860.5 per square mile (332.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 94.02% White, 1.33% African American, 0.78% Native American, 1.01% Asian, 0.14% Pacific Islander, 0.94% from other races, and 1.79% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.99% of the population.
There were 6,196 households of which 44.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.8% were married couples living together, 9.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.8% were non-families. 17.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.85 and the average family size was 3.24.
In the city the population was spread out with 32.2% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 29.4% from 25 to 44, 21.7% from 45 to 64, and 10.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 92.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $58,508, and the median income for a family was $66,476. Males had a median income of $47,716 versus $27,478 for females. The per capita income for the city was $22,779. About 1.4% of families and 2.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.8% of those under age 18 and 2.7% of those age 65 or over.
The Derby Unified School District (USD 260) has 9 elementary schools:
- Derby Hills
- El Paso
- Park Hill
The school district also operates:
- Derby Sixth Grade Center (Wolverines)
- Derby Middle School (Bulldogs)
- Derby High School (Panthers)
- St. Mary's School is Pre-K through 8th grade school.
- Faith Lutheran School is a Pre-K through 7th grade school.
This is a list of notable people who are currently, or have been residents of the City of Derby, Kansas.
- Woody Austin, professional golfer (PGA)
- Jason Gamble, Arena League and Clemson University football center
- Matt Gogel, professional golfer (PGA and Nationwide)
- Billy Campfield, NFL running back (Philadelphia Eagles) (Kansas Jayhawks football) 1975-78
- Nick Reid, KU Linebacker (Kansas Jayhawks football) 2002-05 , 2005 Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year
- Darryl Starbird, custom car designer
- George Teague, NFL safety (Green Bay Packers, Dallas Cowboys)
- ^ a b "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST13&prodType=table. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ U.S. Census Bureau 2008 Estimates
- ^ , 10 Best Towns for Families], Family Circle Magazine
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
- USD 260, local school district
Municipalities and communities of Sedgwick County, Kansas Cities CDP Unincorporated
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Derby High School (Kansas) — Derby High School Address 920 North Rock Road  Derby, Kansas … Wikipedia
Derby High School — could refer to several high schools: England Derby High School, Derby, in Derby, Derbyshire, England Derby High School, Greater Manchester in Bury, Greater Manchester, England United States Derby High School (Connecticut) in Derby, Connecticut,… … Wikipedia
Derby (disambiguation) — Derby is the county town of Derbyshire, England and includes: Derby Midland railway station Derby Works, railway locomotive works Derby Carriage and Wagon Works, railway works Derby may also refer to: Contents 1 Places 2 People 3 Sports … Wikipedia
Derby — steht im Sport für: Derby (Pferdesport), 1780 nach Lord Derby benanntes Pferderennen und weitere Pferdesportveranstaltungen Derby (Mannschaftssport), Wettkampf, bei dem zwei meist rivalisierende Sportvereine einer Region aufeinander treffen… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Derby (desambiguación) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Derby es un municipio que se encuentra en el condado de Derbyshire. Derby también puede referirse a: En lugares: Australia Derby (Tasmania) Derby (Australia) Sudáfrica Derby (Sudáfrica) Reino Unido Derby Road… … Wikipedia Español
Kansas locations by per capita income — Kansas has the twenty sixth highest per capita income in the United States, at $20,506 (2000). Its personal per capita income is $29,935 (2003). TOC Kansas counties ranked by per capita incomeThere are 105 counties located in Kansas, one of which … Wikipedia
Derby Dining Center — Coordinates: 39°11′39.29″N 96°34′39.64″W / 39.1942472°N 96.5776778°W / 39.1942472; 96.5776778 … Wikipedia
Kansas City Roller Warriors — The Kansas City Roller Warriors are a roller derby league in Kansas City, Missouri, (USA). The league is composed of four member teams for play within the league and an allstar travel team to represent the league in competition with other leagues … Wikipedia
Kansas District (LCMS) — The Kansas District is one of the 35 districts of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS), and comprises the state of Kansas; one near the state s northern border is in the Nebraska District. The Kansas District includes approximately 166… … Wikipedia
Kansas State University — Motto Rule by Obeying Nature s Laws Established 1863 Type Public, State, Land grant … Wikipedia