- Darvel and Strathaven Railway
Darvel Branch Loudounhill County Boundary Junction Drumclog Ryeland Strathaven Central Hamilton and Strathaven Railway Mid Lanarks Lines
On 4 July 1905, the line opened connecting with the Darvel Branch, resulting in the ceasing to become a branch and became a through line to Strathaven which was a jointly run line between the Glasgow and South Western Railway and the Caledonian Railway. However despite being a through line, no trains ever ran between Kilmarnock and Strathaven; instead, the two companies took it in turns to run the line between Darvel and Strathaven every six months.
The line was never successful and closed in 1939. Little evidence of the line still exists today, aside from the occasional embankment, bridge and cutting along the route.
Connections to other lines
- Darvel Branch west of Darvel
- Mid Lanarks Lines of the Caledonian Railway at Strathaven
- Hamilton and Strathaven Railway at Strathaven
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Lewin, Henry Grote (1925). Early British Railways. A short history of their origin & development 1801-1844. London: The Locomotive Publishing Co Ltd. OCLC 11064369.
- Stansfield, G. (1999). Ayrshire & Renfrewshire's Lost Railways. Ochiltree: Stenlake Publishing. ISBN 1-8403-3077-5.
- Wham, Alasdair (1997). The Lost Railway Lines of Ayrshire : Ayrshire Railway Walks. Wigtown: G.C. Book Publishers. ISBN 1-8723-5027-5. OCLC 38356283.
- Whishaw, Francis (1842) . The Railways of Great Britain and Ireland practically described and illustrated (2nd ed.). London: John Weale (1840 publisher - Simpkin, Marshall & Co.). OCLC 36383414.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Hamilton and Strathaven Railway — The Hamilton and Strathaven Railway was an historic railway in Scotland. It ran from a junction with the Hamilton Branch of the Caledonian Railway to a terminus at Strathaven. The railway was worked from the start by the Caledonian Railway, who… … Wikipedia
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway — [v · d · … Wikipedia
Dundee and Newtyle Railway — The original Dundee station on Ward road The Dundee and Newtyle Railway opened in 1831 and was the first railway in the north of Scotland. It was built to carry goods from Strathmore to the port of Dundee and was chartered with an Act of… … Wikipedia
Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway — The Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway was an early mineral railway running from a colliery at Monklands to the Forth and Clyde Canal at Kirkintilloch, Scotland. The railway was Authorised on 17 May 1824 and it opened on 1 October 1826. Its… … Wikipedia
Dundee and Arbroath Railway — [v · d · … Wikipedia
Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire Railway — [v · d · … Wikipedia
Ayr and Dalmellington Railway — [v · d · … Wikipedia
Dingwall and Skye Railway — [v · d · … Wikipedia
Perth and Dunkeld Railway — [v · d · … Wikipedia
Maybole and Girvan Railway — [v · d · … Wikipedia