Perth and Dunkeld Railway


Perth and Dunkeld Railway
[v · d · e]       Perth and Dunkeld Railway 
Locale Scotland
Dates of operation 7 April 1856 – 28 February 1864
Successor line Inverness and Perth Junction Railway
Track gauge 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 12 in)
Legend
Continuation backward
   Inverness and Perth Junction Railway
Station on track
Dunkeld and Birnam
Unknown BSicon "eBHF"
Rohallion
Level crossing
Kingswood Crossing
Unknown BSicon "eBHF"
Murthly
Straight track Unknown BSicon "exCONTg"
   Scottish Midland Junction Railway
Track turning left Unknown BSicon "xABZlg"
Stanley Junction
Continuation forward
   Scottish Midland Junction Railway

The Perth and Dunkeld Railway was built from Stanley Junction on the Scottish Midland Junction Railway to Birnam, on the opposite bank of the River Tay to Dunkeld.

Contents

History

With the Act of Parliament was passed on 10 July 1854, with the line being opened on 7 April 1856. Initially operated by the Scottish Midland Junction Railway, and latterly the Scottish North Eastern Railway, the Perth and Dunkeld did not become part of the Caledonian Railway, rather was absorbed by the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway on 28 February 1864, and subsequently became part of the Highland Railway on 1 February 1865. The line became part of the LMS in 1923.

Connections to other lines

Current operations

The line is still open as part of the Highland Main Line between Stanley Junction and Dunkeld and Birnam, with only the latter station remaining open.

References



Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries: