- Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace is the official
Londonresidence of the British monarch. [Traditionally the British Royal Court is still resident at St. James's Palace. While foreign ambassadors assuming their new position are received by the British sovereign at Buckingham Palace, they are in fact accredited to the "Court of St. James's Palace". This anomaly continues for the sake of tradition as Buckingham Palace is to all intents and purposes the official residence.] Located in the City of Westminster, the palaceis a setting for state occasions and royal entertaining, and a major tourist attraction. It has been a rallying point for the British people at times of national rejoicing and crisis.
Originally known as Buckingham House, the building which forms the core of today's palace was a large
townhousebuilt for the Duke of Buckingham in 1703 and acquired by George III in 1761Robinson, p 14.] as a private residence, known as "The Queen's House". It was enlarged over the next 75 years, principally by architects John Nash and Edward Blore, forming three wings around a central courtyard. Buckingham Palace finally became the official royal palace of the British monarch on the accession of Queen Victoria in 1837. The last major structural additions were made in the late 19th and early 20th century, including the present-day public face of Buckingham Palace. The building is occasionally still referred to as "Buck House".
The original early 19th-century interior designs, many of which still survive, included widespread use of brightly coloured
scagliolaand blue and pink lapis, on the advice of Sir Charles Long. King Edward VII oversaw a partial redecoration in a Belle epoque cream and gold colour scheme. Many smaller reception rooms are furnished in the Chinese regency style with furniture and fittings brought from the Royal Pavilionat Brightonand from Carlton Housefollowing the death of King George IV. The Buckingham Palace Gardenis the largest private garden in London, originally landscaped by Capability Brown, but redesigned by William Townsend Aitonof Kew Gardens and John Nash. The artificial lake was completed in 1828 and is supplied with water from the Serpentine, a lake in Hyde Park.
The state rooms form the nucleus of the working Palace and are used regularly by Queen Elizabeth II and members of the royal family for official and state entertaining. Buckingham Palace is one of the world's most familiar buildings and more than 50,000 people visit the palace each year as guests to banquets, lunches, dinners, receptions and the royal garden parties.
William Windefor the first Duke of Buckingham and Normanby. This façade evolved into today's Grand Entrance on the west (inner) side of the quadrangle, with the Green Drawing Room above.]
Middle Ages, Buckingham Palace's site formed part of the Manor of Ebury (also called Eia). The marshy ground was watered by the river Tyburn, which still flows below the courtyard and south wing of the palace. Where the river was fordable - Cow Ford - a village, Eye Cross, grew up. Ownership of the site changed hands many times; owners included Edward the Confessorand his queen consort Edith of Wessexin late Saxon times, and, after the Norman Conquest, William the Conqueror. William gave the site to Geoffrey de Mandeville, who bequeathed it to the monks of Westminster Abbey. [The topography of the site and its ownership are dealt with in Wright, chapters 1-4]
In 1531 Henry VIII acquired the Hospital of St James (later
St. James's Palace) from Eton College, and in 1536 he took the Manor of Ebury from Westminster Abbey. These transfers brought the site of Buckingham Palace back into royal hands for the first time since William the Conqueror had given it away almost 500 years earlier.
Various owners leased it from royal landlords and the freehold was the subject of frenzied speculation in the 17th century. By then, the old village of Eye Cross had long since fallen into decay, and the area was mostly wasteland. [ Wright, pp. 76-8 ] Needing money, James I sold off part of the Crown freehold but retained part of the site on which he established a four-acre mulberry garden for the production of silk. (This is at the northwest corner of today's palace.) Clement Walker in "Anarchia Anglicana" (1649) refers to "new-erected sodoms and spintries at the Mulberry Garden at S. James's"; this suggests it may have been a place of debauchery. Eventually, in the late 17th century, the freehold was inherited from the property tycoon Sir Hugh Audley by the great heiress Mary Davies. [Audley and Davies were key figures in the development of Ebury Manor and also the Grosvenor Estate (see Dukes of Westminster), which still exists today. (They are remembered in North Audley Street, South Audley Street, and Davies Street, all in
First houses on the site
Possibly the first house erected within the site was that of a Sir William Blake, around 1624. [Wright, p.83] The next owner was Lord Goring, who from 1633 extended Blake's house and developed much of today's garden, then known as Goring Great Garden. He did not, however, manage to obtain freehold interest in the mulberry garden. Unbeknown to Goring, in 1640 the document "failed to pass the Great Seal before King Charles I fled London, which it needed to do for
legal execution". [Wright, p. 96.] (It was this critical omission that helped the British royal family regain the freehold under King George III.)
The improvident Goring defaulted on his rents;
Henry Bennet, 1st Earl of Arlingtonobtained the mansion and was occupying it, now known as Goring House, when it burned down in 1674. Arlington House rose on the site — the southern wing of today's palace — the next year, and its freehold was bought in 1702.
The house which forms the architectural core of the present palace was built for the first Duke of Buckingham and Normanby in 1703 to the design of
William Winde. The style chosen was of a large, three-floored central block with two smaller flanking service wings.
Buckingham House was eventually sold by Buckingham's descendant, Sir Charles Sheffield, in 1761 to George III for £21,000. [Nash, p. 18, although the purchase price is given by Wright p. 142 as £28,000] (Like his grandfather, George II, George III refused to sell the mulberry garden interest, so that Sheffield had been unable to purchase the full freehold of the site.) The house was originally intended as a private retreat for the royal family, and in particular for Queen Charlotte, and was known as The Queen's House.
St. James's Palaceremained the official and ceremonial royal residence; indeed, the tradition continues to the present time of foreign ambassadors being formally accredited to "the Court of St. James's", even though it is at Buckingham Palace that they present their credentials and staff to the Queen upon their appointment.
Home of the monarch
Buckingham Palace finally became the principal royal residence in 1837, on the accession of Queen Victoria. While the
state roomswere a riot of gilt and colour, the necessities of the new palace were somewhat less luxurious. For one thing, it was reported the chimneys smoked so much that the fires had to be allowed to die down, and consequently the court shivered in icy magnificence.Woodham-Smith, p 249] Ventilation was so bad that the interior smelled, and when a decision was taken to install gas lamps there was a serious worry about the build-up of gas on the lower floors. It was also said that the staff were lax and lazy and the palace was dirty. Following the Queen's marriage in 1840, her husband, Prince Albert, concerned himself with a reorganisation of the household offices and staff, and with the design faults of the palace. The problems were all rectified by the close of 1840. However, the builders were to return within the decade.
By 1847, the couple had found the palace too small for court life and their growing family [Harris, de Bellaigue & Miller, p 33.] and, consequently, the new wing, designed by
Edward Blore, was built by Thomas Cubitt, ["Holland & Hannen and Cubitts - The Inception and Development of a Great Building Firm", published 1920] enclosing the central quadrangle. The large East Front facing The Mall is today the "public face" of Buckingham Palace and contains the balcony from which the Royal Familyacknowledge the crowds on momentous occasions and annually following Trooping the Colour. The ballroomwing and a further suite of state rooms were also built in this period, designed by Nash's student Sir James Pennethorne.
Before Prince Albert's demise, Queen Victoria was known to openly love music and dancing, [Hedley, p 19] and the greatest contemporary musicians entertained at Buckingham Palace.
Felix Mendelssohnis known to have played there on three occasions. Johann Strauss IIand his orchestraplayed there when in England. Strauss's "Alice Polka" was first performed at the palace in 1849 in honour of the Queen's daughter, Princess Alice. Under Victoria, Buckingham Palace was frequently the scene of lavish costume balls, in addition to the routine royal ceremonies, investitures and presentations.
When widowed in 1861, the grief-stricken Queen withdrew from public life and left Buckingham Palace to live at
Windsor Castle, Balmoral Castle, and Osborne House. For many years the palace was seldom used, and even neglected. Eventually, public opinion forced her to return to London, though even then she preferred to live elsewhere whenever possible. Court functions were still held at Windsor Castle rather than at the palace, presided over by the sombre Queen habitually dressed in mourning black while Buckingham Palace remained shuttered for most of the year.Robinson, p 9.]
Piano nobile" of Buckingham Palace. A: State Dining Room; B: Blue Drawing Room; C: Music Room; D: White Drawing Room; E: Royal Closet; F: Throne Room; G: Green Drawing Room; H: Cross Gallery; J: Ball Room; K: East Gallery; L: Yellow Drawing Room; M: Centre/Balcony Room; N: Chinese Luncheon Room; O: Principal Corridor; P: Private Apartments; Q: Service Areas; W: The Grand staircase. "On the ground floor": R: Ambassador's Entrance; T: Grand Entrance. The areas defined by shaded walls represent lower minor wings. Note: This is an unscaled sketch plan for reference only. Proportions of some rooms may slightly differ in reality.]
The palace contains 77,000 square metres of floorspace (828,818 sq ft). [See reference on official British monarchy website [http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page5495.asp] ] The principal rooms of the palace are contained on the "
piano nobile" behind the west-facing garden facade at the rear of the palace. The centre of this ornate suite of state rooms is the Music Room, its large bow the dominant feature of the facade. Flanking the Music Room are the Blue and the White Drawing rooms. At the centre of the suite, serving as a corridor to link the state rooms, is the Picture Gallery, which is top-lit and 55 yards (50 m) long. The Gallery is hung with numerous works including some by Rembrandt, van Dyck, Rubens and Vermeer; other rooms leading from the Picture Gallery are the Throne Roomand the Green Drawing Room. The Green Drawing room serves as a huge anteroom to the Throne Room, and is part of the ceremonial route to the thronefrom the Guard Room at the top of the Grand staircase. The Guard Room contains white marble statues of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, in Roman costume, set in a tribune lined with tapestries. These very formal rooms are used only for ceremonial and official entertaining, but are open to the public every summer.
Directly underneath the
State Apartmentsis a suite of slightly less grand rooms known as the semi-state apartments. Opening from the Marble Hall, these rooms are used for less formal entertaining, such as luncheon parties and private audiences. Some of the rooms are named and decorated for particular visitors, such as the "1844 Room", which was decorated in that year for the State visit of Emperor Nicholas I of Russia, and, on the other side of the Bow Room, the "1855 Room". At the centre of this suite is the Bow Room, through which thousands of guests pass annually to the Queen's Garden Partiesin the Gardens beyond. The Queen uses privately a smaller suite of rooms in the North wing.Between 1847 and 1850, when Blore was building the new east wing, the Brighton Pavilion was once again plundered of its fittings. As a result, many of the rooms in the new wing have a distinctly oriental atmosphere. The red and blue Chinese Luncheon Room is made up from parts of the Brighton banqueting and music rooms, but has a chimney piece, also from Brighton, in design more Indian than Chinese. The Yellow Drawing Room has 18th-century wall paper, which was supplied in 1817 for the Brighton Saloon, and the chimney piece in this room is a European vision of what the Chinese equivalent would look like, complete with nodding mandarins in niches and fearsome winged dragons.
At the centre of this wing is the famous balcony, with the Centre Room behind its glass doors. This is a Chinese-style saloon enhanced by Queen Mary, who, working with the designer Sir Charles Allom, created a more "binding" [Harris, de Bellaigue & Miller, p 93] Chinese theme in the late 1920s, although the
lacquerdoors were brought from Brighton in 1873. Running the length of the "piano nobile" of the east wing is the great gallery, modestly known as the Principal Corridor, which runs the length of the eastern side of the quadrangle. [Harris, de Bellaigue & Miller, p 91] It has mirrored doors, and mirrored cross walls reflecting porcelainpagodas and other oriental furniture from Brighton. The Chinese Luncheon Room and Yellow Drawing Room are situated at each end of this gallery, with the Centre Room obviously placed in the centre.
Visiting heads of state today, when staying at the palace, occupy a suite of rooms known as the Belgian suite, which is on the ground floor of the North-facing garden front. These rooms, with corridors enhanced by
saucer domes, were first decorated for Prince Albert's uncle Léopold I, first King of the Belgians. Edward VIII lived in these rooms during his short reign.
During the current reign, court
ceremonyhas undergone a radical change, and entry to the palace is no longer the prerogative of just the upper class. [Hedley, pp 16 -17]
There has been a progressive relaxation of the dress code governing formal
court uniform and dress. In previous reigns, men not wearing military uniformwore knee breechesof an 18th-century design. Women's evening dress included obligatory trains and tiaras or feathers in their hair (or both). After World War I, when Queen Mary wished to follow fashionby raising her skirts a few inches from the ground, she requested a Lady-in-Waitingto shorten her own skirt first to gauge the King's reaction. King George V was horrified and Queen Mary's hemline remained unfashionably low. Subsequently, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth allowed daytime skirts to rise.
Today, there is no official dress code. [Advice given by HM's representatives] Most men invited to Buckingham Palace in the daytime choose to wear
service uniformor morning coats, and in the evening, depending on the formality of the occasion, black tieor white tie. If the occasion is "white tie" then women, if they possess one, wear a tiara.
One of the first major changes was in 1958, when the Queen abolished the presentation parties for
debutantes. [cite web|url=http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page5299.asp|title=Mailbox|publisher=Royal Insight Magazine|accessdate=2007-05-25] These court presentations of aristocratic girls to the monarch took place in the throne room. Debutantes wore full court dress, with three tall ostrich feathers in their hair. They entered, curtsied, performed a choreographed backwards walk and a further curtsey, while manoeuvring a dress train of prescribed length. The ceremony corresponded to the "court drawing rooms" of earlier reigns, and Queen Elizabeth II replaced the presentations with large and frequent palace garden parties for an invited cross-section of British society. The late Princess Margaret is reputed to have remarked of the debutante presentations: "We had to put a stop to it, every tart in London was getting in". [Blaikie, Thomas (2002). "You look awfully like the Queen: Wit and Wisdom from the House of Windsor". London: Harper Collins. ISBN 0-00-714874-7] Today, the Throne Room is used for the reception of formal addresses such as those given to the Queen on her Jubilees. It is here on the throne daisthat royal wedding portraits and family photographs are taken. Investitures, which include the conferring of knighthoods by dubbing with a sword, and other awards take place in the palace's Victorian Ballroom, built in 1854. At 123 by 60 feet (37 by 20 m), this is the largest room in the palace. It has replaced the throne room in importance and use. During investitures, the Queen stands on the throne dais beneath a giant, domed velvet canopy, which is known as a shamiana or a baldachinand was used at the coronation Durbar in Delhiin 1911. A military band plays in the musicians' gallery as the recipients of awards approach the Queen and receive their honours, watched by their families and friends.
banquets also take place in the Ballroom. These formal dinners take place on the first evening of a state visit by a visiting Head of State. On these occasions, often over 150 guests in formal "white tie and decorations", including tiaras for women, dine off gold plate. The largest and most formal reception at Buckingham Palace takes place every November, when the Queen entertains members of the foreign diplomatic corps resident in London. On this occasion all the state rooms are in use, as the Royal Family proceed through them [Hedley, p 16.] beginning their procession through the great north doors of the Picture Gallery. As Nash had envisaged, all the large, double-mirrored doors stand open, reflecting the numerous crystal chandeliers and sconces, causing a deliberate optical illusion of space and light.
Smaller ceremonies such as the reception of new ambassadors take place in the "1844 Room". Here too the Queen holds small lunch parties, and often meetings of the Privy Council. Larger lunch parties often take place in the curved and domed Music Room, or the State Dining Room. On all formal occasions the ceremonies are attended by the
Yeomen of the Guardin their historic uniforms, and other officers of the court such as the Lord Chamberlain.
Since the bombing of the palace chapel in World War II, royal christenings have sometimes taken place in the Music Room. The Queen's first three children were all baptised here [Robinson, p 49] in a special gold font. Prince William was also christened in the Music Room; however, his brother, Prince Harry, was christened at
St George's Chapel, Windsor.
The largest functions of the year are the Queen's Garden Parties for up to 8,000 invitees, taking tea and sandwiches in marquees erected in the Garden. As a military band plays the National Anthem, the Queen emerges from the Bow Room and slowly walks through the assembled guests towards her private tea tent, greeting those previously selected for the honour. Those guests who do not actually have the opportunity to meet the Queen at least have the consolation of being able to admire the Garden.
In 1901 the accession of Edward VII saw new life breathed into the palace. The new King and his wife Queen Alexandra had always been at the forefront of London high society, and their friends, known as "the
Marlborough HouseSet", were considered to be the most eminent and fashionable of the age. Buckingham Palace—the Ballroom, Grand Entrance, Marble Hall, Grand Staircase, vestibules and galleries redecorated in the Belle epoque cream and gold colour scheme they retain today—once again became the focal point of the British Empireand a setting for entertaining on a majestic scale. Many people feel King Edward's heavy redecoration of the palace does not complement Nash's original work. [Robinson (Page 9) asserts that the decorations, including plaster swags and other decorative motifs, are "finicky" and "at odds with Nash's original detailing".] However, it has been allowed to remain for one hundred years.
The last major building work took place during the reign of King George V when, in 1913, Sir Aston Webb redesigned Blore's 1850 East Front to resemble in part
Giacomo Leoni's Lyme Parkin Cheshire. This new, refaced principal facade (of Portland stone) was designed to be the backdrop to the Victoria Memorial, a large memorial statue of Queen Victoria, placed outside the main gates. George V, who had succeeded Edward VII in 1910, had a more serious personality than his father; greater emphasis was now placed on official entertaining and royal duties than on lavish parties. George V's wife Queen Mary was a connoisseurof the arts, and took a keen interest in the royal collection of furniture and art, both restoring and adding to it. Queen Mary also had many new fixtures and fittings installed, such as the pair of marble Empire-style chimneypieces by Benjamin Vulliamy, dating from 1810, which the Queen had installed in the ground floor Bow Room, the huge low room at the centre of the garden facade. Queen Mary was also responsible for the decoration of the Blue Drawing Room. This room, 69 feet (21 m) long, previously known as the South Drawing Room, has one of Nash's finest ceilings, coffered with huge gilt console brackets.
A 1999 book published by the Royal Collection Department reported that the palace contained 19 state rooms, 52 principal bedrooms, 188 staff bedrooms, 92 offices, and 78 bathrooms. [Robinson, p 11] While this may seem large, it is small when compared to the Russian imperial palaces in
Saint Petersburgand at Tsarskoe Selo, the Papal Palacein Rome, the Royal Palace of Madrid, or indeed the former Palace of Whitehall, and tiny compared to the Forbidden Cityand Potala Palace. The relative smallness of the palace may be best appreciated from within, looking out over the inner quadrangle. A minor extension was made in 1938, in which the north-west pavilion, designed by Nash, was converted into a swimming pool.
World War Ithe palace, then the home of King George V and Queen Mary, escaped unscathed. Its more valuable contents were evacuated to Windsor but the Royal family remained "in situ". The largest change to court life at this time was that the Government persuaded the King to ostentatiously and publicly lock the wine cellars and refrain from alcohol for the duration of the war, to set a good example to the supposedly inebriated lower classes. The lower classes continued to imbibe and the King was left reputedly furious at his enforced abstinence. [cite book|authorlink=Kenneth Rose|last=Rose |first=Kenneth |title=King George V|publisher=Weidenfeld and Nicolson |location=London|year=1983|isbn=0297782452] The King's children were photographed at this time serving tea to wounded officers in the adjacent Royal Mews.
World War II, the palace fared worse: it was bombed no less than seven times, and was a deliberate target, as it was thought by the Nazis that the destruction of Buckingham Palace would demoralise the nation. The most serious and publicised bombing was the destruction of the palace chapel in 1940: coverage of this event was played in cinemas all over the UK to show the common suffering of rich and poor. One bomb fell in the palace quadrangle while King George VI and Queen Elizabeth were in residence, and many windows were blown in and the chapel destroyed. [Hedley, p. ] War time coverage of such incidents was severely restricted, however, The King and Queen were filmed inspecting their bombed home, the smiling Queen, as always, immaculately dressed in a hat and matching coat seemingly unbothered by the damage around her. It was at this time the Queen famously declared: "I'm glad we have been bombed. Now I can look the East End in the face". The Royal family were seen as sharing their subjects' hardship, as "The Sunday Graphic" reported:
::By the Editor: The King and Queen have endured the ordeal which has come to their subjects. For the second time a German bomber has tried to bring death and destruction to the home of Their Majesties……..When this war is over the common danger which King George and Queen Elizabeth have shared with their people will be a cherished memory and an inspiration through the years". [The Sunday Graphic, September 18, 1939, p. 1]
On 15 September 1940 an RAF pilot,
Ray Holmes, rammed a German plane attempting to bomb the palace. [ [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/4398484.stm "Pilot who 'saved Palace' honoured"] 2 November 2005, " BBC News". Retrieved 25 April 2007.] Holmes had run out of ammunition and made the quick choice to ram it. Both planes crashed and their pilots survived. This incident was captured on film. The plane's engine was later exhibited at the Imperial War Museum in London. Following the war the British pilot became a King's Messenger. He died at the age of 90 in 2005.
On VE Day—8 May 1945—the palace was the centre of British celebrations, with the King, Queen and the Princess Elizabeth, the future Queen, and
Princess Margaretappearing on the balcony, with the palace's blacked-out windows behind them, to the cheers from a vast crowd in the Mall.
On two occasions a man, Michael Fagan, was able to break into the palace.
The Garden, the Royal Mews and the Mall
At the rear of the palace, large and park-like, is the garden. Which, together with its lake, is the largest private garden in London.
Here the Queen hosts her annual garden parties each summer, and also holds large functions to celebrate royal milestones, such as jubilees.
Adjacent to the palace is the
Royal Mews, also designed by Nash, where the royal carriages, including the Gold State Coach, are housed. This rococogilt coach, designed by Sir William Chambers in 1760, has painted panels by G. B. Cipriani. It was first used for the State Opening of Parliament by George III in 1762 and is used by the monarch only for coronations or jubilee celebrations. [cite web|url=http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page1210.asp|title=Kid's Zone:The Gold State Coach|publisher=The official website of the British Monarchy|accessdate=2007-05-25] Also housed in the Mews are the carriage horses used in royal ceremonial processions.
The Mall, a ceremonial approach route to the palace, was designed by Sir
Aston Webband completed in 1911 as part of a grand memorial to Queen Victoria. It extends from Admiralty Arch, up around the Victoria Memorial to the palace forecourt. This route is used by the cavalcades and motorcades of all visiting heads of state, and by the Royal Family on state occasions such as the annual State Opening of Parliamentas well as Trooping the Coloureach year.
21st century: Royal use and public access
Today, Buckingham Palace is not only the weekday home of the Queen and Prince Philip but also the London residence of the Duke of York and the Earl and Countess of Wessex. The palace also houses the offices of the
Royal Householdand is the workplace of 450 people.
Every year some 50,000 invited guests are entertained at garden parties, receptions, audiences, and banquets. The
Garden Parties, usually three, are held in the summer, usually in July. The Forecourt of Buckingham Palace is used for Changing of the Guard, a major ceremony and tourist attraction (daily during the summer months; every other day during the winter).
The palace is technically the monarch's property; both
Windsor Castleand Buckingham Palace and their art collections are held in trust for her successors and the nation. Many of the contents from Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, Kensington Palaceand St James' Palaceare known collectively as the Royal Collection; owned by the nation, they can, on occasions, be viewed by the public. The Queen's Gallerynear the Royal Mewsis open all year and displays a changing selection of items from the collection. The rooms containing the Queen's Gallery are on the site of the former chapel, which was damaged by one of the seven bombs to fall on the palace during World War II. The palace's state rooms have been open to the public during August and September since 1993. The money raised in entry fees was originally put towards the rebuilding of Windsor Castlefollowing the 1992 fire which destroyed many of its state rooms.
Thus, Buckingham Palace is a symbol and home of the British monarchy, an art gallery and tourist attraction. Behind the gilded railings and gates which were made by the
Bromsgrove Guildand Webb's famous facade which has been described as looking "like everybody's idea of a palace" the large staff employed by the Royal Household work to keep Britain's constitutional monarchy functioning.
Buckingham Palace Garden
* Changing of the Guards
Palace of Placentia
Palace of Westminster– Royal residence from 1049 until 1530
Palace of Whitehall– Royal residence from 1530 until 1698
St. James's Palace– Royal residence from 1702 until 1837
List of British Royal Residences
History of the United Kingdom
Flags at Buckingham Palace
House of Fabergé
*Blaikie, Thomas (2002). "You look awfully like the Queen: Wit and Wisdom from the House of Windsor". London: Harper Collins. ISBN 0-00-714874-7.
*Harris, John; de Bellaigue, Geoffrey; & Miller, Oliver (1968). "Buckingham Palace". London:Nelson. ISBN 0-17-141011-4
*Hedley, Olwen (1971) "The Pictorial History of Buckingham Palace". Pitkin, ISBN 0-85372-086-X
*Nash, Roy (1980). "Buckingham Palace: The Place and the People". London: Macdonald Futura. ISBN 0-354-04529-6
*Robinson, John Martin (1999). [http://books.google.com/books?id=lsq1AAAACAAJ&dq=Buckingham+Palace+Robinson "Buckingham Palace"] . Published by The
Royal Collection, St. James's Palace, London ISBN 1-902163-36-2.
*Williams, Neville (1971). "Royal Homes". Lutterworth Press. ISBN 0-7188-0803-7.
*Woodham-Smith, Cecil (1973). "Queen Victoria" "(vol 1)" Hamish Hamilton Ltd.
*Wright, Patricia (1999; first published 1996). "The Strange History of Buckingham Palace". Stroud, Gloucs.: Sutton Publishing Ltd. ISBN 0-7509-1283-9
* [http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page555.asp Buckingham Palace] , official site
* [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=45183 Account of Buckingham Palace, with prints of Arlington House and Buckingham House] , from Edward Walford, "Old and New London", Vol 4, Chap. VI (1878)
* [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=41820 Account of the acquisition of the Manor of Ebury] , from F.H.W. Sheppard (ed.), "Survey of London", vol. 39, "The Grosvenor Estate in Mayfair", part 1 (1977)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Buckingham Palace — (2009) Der Buckingham Palace ist die offizielle Residenz des britischen Monarchen in London. Das Gebäude im Stadtbezirk City of Westminster dient neben seiner Funktion als Wohnung von Königin Elisabeth II. und Prinz Philip auch offiziellen… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Buckingham Palace — palais londonien, construit en 1705 pour le duc de Buckingham (plusieurs fois remanié au XIXe s.); résidence actuelle de la famille royale britannique … Encyclopédie Universelle
Buckingham Palace — n. the official residence in London of British sovereigns … English World dictionary
Buckingham Palace — Palais de Buckingham Buckingham Palace et le Victoria Memorial. Présentation Nom local Buckingham Palace P … Wikipédia en Français
Buckingham Palace — 1. a residence of the British sovereigns since 1837, in London, England: built 1703. 2. the reigning British monarch or the royal family: Buckingham Palace has denied the rumor. * * * London residence of the British sovereign. It takes its name… … Universalium
Buckingham Palace — Buck|ing|ham Pal|ace [ ,bʌkıŋəm pæləs, ,bʌkıŋhæm pæləs ] the official home in London of the British king or queen. Buckingham Palace is also used for referring to the institution of the British MONARCHY and the people who work for it: Buckingham… … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
Buckingham Palace — UK [ˌbʌkɪŋəm ˈpælɪs] / US [ˌbʌkɪŋəm ˈpæləs] / US [ˌbʌkɪŋhæm ˈpæləs] the official home in London of the British king or queen. Buckingham Palace is also used for referring to the institution of the British monarchy and the people who work for it… … English dictionary
Buckingham Palace — Buck|ing|ham Pa|lace also the Palace the official home of the British royal family in London. The name of the Palace is sometimes used to mean the officials who are in charge of organizing the Queen s public life ▪ Buckingham Palace announced… … Dictionary of contemporary English
Buckingham Palace — noun the London residence of the British sovereign • Instance Hypernyms: ↑palace, ↑castle • Part Holonyms: ↑Westminster, ↑City of Westminster … Useful english dictionary
Buckingham Palace — noun a) the official London residence of the British monarch. b) The British monarch or royal family … Wiktionary