- Smethwick Galton Bridge railway station
Infobox UK station
name = Smethwick Galton Bridge
pte = West Midlands
zone = 2
code = SGB
lowusage0405 = 88,782
lowusage0506 = 102,692
lowusage0607 = 116,401
platforms = 4
events = Opened
Smethwick Galton Bridge is a railway station in
Smethwick, West Midlands, England.
The station is situated where two lines cross at different levels: the line from Birmingham Snow Hill to Stourbridge Junction crosses over the
Stour valley lineby means of a bridge. There are four platforms, two on each line. London Midlandmanage the station and operate almost all of its services, with limited services also operated by Chiltern Railways.
The present station opened in
1995when the line from Birmingham Snow Hill reopened, replacing the nearby Smethwick West station. In 2005/6, 481,000 people changed trains at Smethwick Galton Bridge, 4.7 times the amount that began or ended journeys at the station, making it the busiest station in Smethwick. Without interchanges it is normally slightly less busy than the more centrally located Smethwick Rolfe Street, though that was not the case in the 2006/07 statistics. [cite web|title=Station usage - : Office of Rail Regulation |url=http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server/show/nav.1529]
The high level platforms are served by
London MidlandClass 150 trains to Birmingham Snow Hill and Moor Street every 10 minutes off-peak, with a journey time of 10 minutes to Snow Hill. Trains commence from Great Malvern, Worcester Foregate Street or Kidderminster and continue to Dorridge or Shirley. One train per hour operates to Stratford-upon-Avon. [cite web|title=London Midland - Timetables|url=http://www.londonmidland.com/index.php/timetables/timetables/page] Additionally, 6 Chiltern Railwaysservices from Kidderminster to London Marylebone (and 5 return) stop here in the morning and evening peaks. [cite web|title=Chiltern Railways - Download Our Timetable|url=http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/plan-your-journey/download-our-timetable/]
The low level platforms are served by a half-hourly local service between Birmingham New Street and Wolverhampton.
There are four other services that call here throughout the day:
* An early morning London Midland Express service, which serves all stations to Liverpool Lime Street.
* A morning peak London Midland Express service, which starts at
Stafford railway stationand terminates at Birmingham New Street, calling at all intermediate stations.
* An evening peak London Midland service to Shrewsbury (which calls only at Galton Bridge, Sandwell and Dudley and Dudley Port before forming a normal Shrewsbury service from Wolverhampton).
* A late-evening Express service to
Crewe railway station, serving all stations.
* Smethwick Galton Bridge will be served hourly by Arriva Trains Wales services between Chester / Aberystwyth and Birmingham International from December 2008.
* From December 2008, Galton Bridge will be served by an hourly service to Liverpool Lime Street, operated by London Midland.
* Galton Bridge is also served by Wrexham and Shropshire when Tame Bridge Parkway is inaccessible for any reason.
*stn art lnk|SGB|B661HU
* [http://www.railaroundbirmingham.co.uk/Stations/smethwick_galton_bridge.php Rail Around Birmingham and the West Midlands: Smethwick Galton Bridge station]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Darlaston James Bridge railway station — Darlaston James Bridge Location Place Darlaston Area Metropolitan Borough of Walsall Coordinates … Wikipedia
Smethwick West railway station — Infobox UK disused station| name = Smethwick West| manager = Great Western Railway| locale = Smethwick| borough = Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell| latitude = 52.501| longitude = 1.981| platforms = 2| years1 = 1 April 1867| events1 = Opened as… … Wikipedia
Railway station layout — A railway station is a place where trains make scheduled stops. Stations usually have one or more platforms constructed alongside a line of railway. However, railway stations come in many different configurations influenced by such factors as the … Wikipedia
Birmingham New Street railway station — Birmingham New Street redirects here. For the actual street, see New Street, Birmingham. Birmingham New Street … Wikipedia
Birmingham Moor Street railway station — Birmingham Moor Street Restored GWR entrance to Moor Street, 2006 Location … Wikipedia
Coombs Holloway Halt railway station — Coombs Holloway Halt Location Place Old Hill Area Dudley Operations Original company Midland Railway Great Western … Wikipedia
Denham Golf Club railway station — Denham Golf Club Location Place … Wikipedia
Old Hill railway station — Old Hill Location Place … Wikipedia
Dorridge railway station — Dorridge Location Place … Wikipedia
Cradley Heath railway station — Cradley Heath Location Pl … Wikipedia