Alien abduction narratives sometimes allege contact with reptilian creatures. One of the earliest reports was that of Ashland, Nebraska police officer Herbert Schirmer, who claims to have been taken aboard a UFO in 1967 by humanoid beings with a slightly reptilian appearance, who bore a "winged serpent" emblem on the left side of their chests. 
According to British writer David Icke, 5 to 12-foot (1.5 - 3.7 m) tall, blood-drinking, shape-shifting reptilian humanoids from the Alpha Draconis star system, now hiding in underground bases, are the force behind a worldwide conspiracy directed at humanity. He contends that most of the world's leaders are related to these reptilians. Icke's conspiracy theories now have supporters in 47 countries and he frequently gives lectures to crowds of 2,500 or more. American writer Vicki Santillano ranked the notion that "Reptilian humanoids control all of us" as the 10th most popular conspiracy theory.
In the closely fought 2008 U.S. Senate election between comedian and commentator Al Franken and incumbent Senator Norm Coleman, one of the ballots challenged by Coleman included a vote for Franken with "Lizard People" written in the space provided for write-in candidates. Lucas Davenport who later claimed to have written the gag ballot, said, "I don't know if you've heard the conspiracy theory about the Lizard Men; a friend of mine, we didn't like the candidates, so we were at first going to write in revolution, because we thought that was good and to the point. And then, we thought the Lizard People would be even funnier."
Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet was a pejorative used to refer to then Ontario Liberal Party opposition leader Dalton McGuinty in a press release disseminated by the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario on September 12, 2003, during the provincial election campaign in Ontario, Canada.
In February of 2011, on the Opie & Anthony radio show, the comedian Louis CK repeatedly asked former U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld if he and Dick Cheney were lizard people who enjoyed the taste of human flesh. Rumsfeld did not answer the question. Louis CK comically interpreted Rumsfeld's refusal to answer as an admission. Louis CK further suggested the comical pseudologic that those who are lizard people cannot lie about it - when asked if they are lizards, they have to either not answer the question or say yes. 
Skeptics who adhere to the psychosocial hypothesis for unidentified flying objects argue the popularity of V, a science fiction television show, which debuted in 1983 and restarted in 2009, about an invading alien race of reptilian humanoids disguised as human beings trying to take over Earth, may have significantly contributed to ufologists and conspiracy theorists adopting beliefs in the existence of reptilians, as well as making the wider public more receptive to embracing them. Brian Dunning suggests that a 1934 Los Angeles Times article may have been the origin of such beliefs: it reported that a geophysical mining engineer claimed to have discovered subterranean labyrinths beneath Los Angeles to an underground city built by an advanced race of "Lizard People" to escape surface catastrophes some 5,000 years ago.
- Ancient astronauts
- Bug-eyed monster
- Grey alien
- Insectoid humanoids
- List of alleged UFO-related extraterrestrials
- List of conspiracy theories
- Little green men
- Nordic aliens
- ^ Judith Joyce (2010). "also+known+as"&hl=en&ei=9PMiTY_pIYTJnAf134inDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDEQ6 "The Weiser Field Guide to the Paranormal Abductions, Apparitions, ESP". Weiser. http://books.google.com/books?id=9aYqjnjDzBQC&pg=PA80&dq=Reptilians+"also+known+as"&hl=en&ei=9PMiTY_pIYTJnAf134inDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDEQ6. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- ^ Lewis, Tyson; Richard Kahn (Wntr 2005). "The Reptoid Hypothesis: Utopian and Dystopian Representational Motifs in David Icke's Alien Conspiracy Theory". Utopian Studies 16 (1): 45–75.
- ^ Frel, Jan (1 September 2010). Inside the Great Reptilian Conspiracy: From Queen Elizabeth to Barack Obama -- They Live!. http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/147967. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
- ^ Kristen Inbody (26). "Fact or fiction? Tribune sets out to debunk 10 rural legends". http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20101226/LIFESTYLE/12260305/Fact-or-fiction-Tribune-sets-out-to-debunk-10-rural-legends. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- ^ The Shadowlands Mysterious Creatures page
- ^ Police Officer Herbert Schirmer Abduction - Ashland, Nebraska, United States - December 3, 1967 - UFO Evidence
- ^ Ronson, Jon. Beset by lizards, The Guardian, March 17, 200O1; Offley 2000a; Honigsbaum 1995.
- ^ David Icke Interview: Aliens among us
- ^ Lauren Cox (Dec. 12, 2008). "What's Behind Internet Conspiracy Empires?". ABC News. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/story?id=6443988&page=1. Retrieved 2009-03-04.
- ^ The Ten Most Popular Conspiracy Theories
- ^ "Minnesota Senate Recount: Challenged ballots: You be the judge". Minnesota Public Radio. 2008. http://minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2008/11/19_challenged_ballots/. Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- ^ "Why would someone vote for the Lizard People?". 2008. http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/11/23/so_why_would_someone_for_the_lizard_people/. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- ^ http://gothamist.com/2011/02/25/louis_ck_repeatedly_asks_donald_rum.php
- ^ Barkun, Michael (2003). A Culture of Conspiracy: Apocalyptic Visions in Contemporary America. University of California Press; 1 edition. ISBN 0520238052.
- ^ Support Your Local Reptoid (2007-05-21)
UFOs and ufology Notable Incidents Scientific studies UFO conspiracy theory Culture Involvement Skeptics
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
reptilians — rep tÉªlÉªÉ™n n. reptile, cold blooded animal from the class Reptilia (such as snakes, lizards, etc.) adj. of or pertaining to the reptiles; despicable, base, mean … English contemporary dictionary
Xindi (Star Trek) — Star Trek race|if= bgcolor=#ffffff Name=Xindi Caption=The five extant Xindi sub species and the skull of an Avian (extinct) Leader=Governed by the Xindi Council Planet=Xindus Language=Various native languages Affiliation=Sphere Builders (22nd… … Wikipedia
David Icke — Icke in 2008 Born David Vaughan Icke 29 April 1952 (1952 04 29) (age 59) Leicester, England … Wikipedia
List of minor recurring characters in Star Trek: Enterprise — This is a list of minor characters from the science fiction television series Star Trek: Enterprise. Characters are ordered alphabetically by family name, and only characters who played a significant recurring role in the series are listed.… … Wikipedia
Reptilian humanoid — Infobox Paranormalcreatures Creature Name = Reptilian Humanoid Image Caption = Reptilian Humanoid as reported to the Reptoids Research Center. Grouping = InnerTerrestrial Extraterrestrial Mythology Cryptid Sub Grouping = AKA = Snakepeople,… … Wikipedia
List of ThunderCats characters — The following is a list of characters that appear in the American animated series ThunderCats, its 2011 reboot, and its related media. Contents 1 Heroes 1.1 Original ThunderCats 1.1.1 Jaga 1.1.2 Lion O … Wikipedia
List of alien races in Marvel Comics — There are several different extraterrestrial races in the Marvel Comics universe. The vast majority are humanoid in structure.Major RacesA few alien races have had considerable air time in various Marvel Comics publications over the years, having … Wikipedia
New World Order (conspiracy theory) — This article is about the use of the term New World Order in conspiracy theory. For other uses, see New World Order. The reverse side of the Grea … Wikipedia
Nuwaubianism — is an umbrella term used to refer to the doctrines, and teachings of the followers of Malachi Z. York. The Nuwaubians themselves reject this term Nuwaubianism as it is found nowhere in the literary works of their teacher Malachi Z. York. They… … Wikipedia
Stonehaven (comic) — Stonehaven is a series of first run graphic novels and prose novels set in a contemporary urban fantasy city of the same name, in which mythical creatures live openly alongside humans. Created by Kevin Tinsley in the ‘90s, the first volume was… … Wikipedia