- List of skeptics and skeptical organizations
This is a list of people and organizations that promote or practice
scientific skepticism. In general they favor scienceand are opposed to what they call pseudoscienceand quackery. They are generally skeptical of parapsychologyand the paranormal.
Isaac Asimov, biochemist, author. Wrote or edited over 500 popular science, other nonfiction, and science fiction books, including the Foundation series. Founding member of CSICOP (now CSI). [http://www.csicop.org/articles/19991214-century/ Skeptical Inquirer Magazine Names the Ten Outstanding Skeptics of the Century.] ]
Banachek, mentalist. Participant in Project Alpha.
Stephen Barrett, psychiatrist. Cofounder of the National Council Against Health Fraud, critic of alternative medicine. Founder of the Quackwatchwebsite.
Barry Beyerstein, psychologist. Founding member of CSICOP (now CSI).
Susan Blackmore, parapsychologist. Author, lecturer, and broadcaster.
Robert Todd Carroll, philosopher. Author of The Skeptic's Dictionary book and website.
Debashis Chatterjee, Joint Secretary of Science and Rationalists' Association of India. An expert in exposing miracle, astrologers and spiritual frauds.
Milbourne Christopher, magician. Founding member of CSICOP (now CSI).
Derek Colandunoand Robynn McCarthy, co-hosts of the podcast .
Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist and author known for promoting the gene-centric view (in his book " The Selfish Gene"), coining of the term "meme", and atheist activism.
Daniel Dennett, philosopher. Author of ' and '.
Ann Druyan, popular science author and current head of the Planetary Society. Widow of the astronomer Carl Sagan.
Kendrick Frazier, Editor of the "Skeptical Inquirer".
Martin Gardner, author, recreational mathematician. Writer of the long-running 'Mathematical Games' column in " Scientific American," and a longstanding columnist for the "Skeptical Inquirer". Founding member of CSICOP (now CSI).
Prabir Ghosh, founder and general secretary of the Science and Rationalists' Association of India. An expert in exposing miracle, astrologers and spiritual frauds.
Ben Goldacre, physician, journalist. Author of the " Bad Science" column in " The Guardian" (UK newspaper).
Sven Ove Hansson, philosopher. Founding Chairperson of the Swedish Skeptics (Vetenskap och Folkbildning) and Editor of the organisation's journal "Folkvett".
Douglas Hofstadter, physicist, artificial intelligenceresearcher. Author of Pulitzer Prize-winning book "" and " Scientific American" column " Metamagical Themas".
Harry Houdini, magician. Critic of Modern Spiritualism who exposed fraudulent psychics and mediums and publicized their methods.
Ray Hyman, psychologist, critic of parapsychology. Longstanding contributor to the "Skeptical Inquirer". Founding member of CSICOP (now CSI).
Jamie Hyneman, creator of MythBustersTV show.
Penn Jillettemagician, half of Penn & Tellerduo. Creator and host of the television series " Bullshit!"
Brendan Kilmartin, author. Founder of the site [http://www.thesupernaturalworld.co.uk The Supernatural World] .
Philip J. Klass, aerospace journalist. Known for his investigations of UFOs. Longstanding contributor to the "Skeptical Inquirer". Founding member of CSICOP (now CSI).
Paul Kurtz, philosopher, author. Founder of CSICOP (now CSI), Publisher of the " Skeptical Inquirer".
Pat Linse, illustrator. Cofounder of the Skeptics Society, Copublisher and Art Director of "Skeptic" magazine. Creator of " Junior Skeptic" magazine.
Daniel Loxton, illustrator, writer. Editor of " Junior Skeptic" magazine (bound into "Skeptic" magazine).
Joe Nickell, investigator of the paranormal, author. Columnist for the "Skeptical Inquirer".
Steven Novella, neurologist. Founder of the New England Skeptical Societyand host of The Skeptics' Guide to the Universepodcast.
James Oberg, aerospace journalist. Critic of UFOs and claims of a moon landing hoax.
Robert L. Park, physicist. Author of Voodoo Science.
Trey Parker, writer, director. Creator of South ParkTV show.
Philip Plait, astronomer, author. Founder of the [http://www.badastronomy.com Bad Astronomy] website.
Massimo Polidoro, writer, journalist, magician. Student of James Randi, Co-Founder and Executive Director of CICAP, Research Fellow of CSICOP (now CSI).
Basava Premanandpublisher of the Indian Skepticmagazine and chairman of the Indian CSICOP.
Benjamin Radford, Managing Editor of the "Skeptical Inquirer".
James Randi, magician. Founder of the James Randi Educational Foundation. Notable for offering a million dollar cash reward for verifiable demonstration under laboratory conditions of any paranormal ability or event. Conceived and directed Project Alpha. Founding member of CSICOP (now CSI).
Carl Sagan, astronomer, popular science author, and media personality. Advocate for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence ( SETI) and founder of the Planetary Society(now headed by his widow, popular science writer Ann Druyan). Known for the television series " Cosmos" and the book "". Founding member of CSICOP (now CSI).
Adam Savage, creator of MythBustersTV show.
Eugenie Scott, anthropologist. Executive Director of the National Center for Science Education(NCSE), critic of creationismand intelligent design.
Robert Sheaffer, author. UFO investigator, columnist for the "Skeptical Inquirer".
Michael Shermer, historian, popular science author, founder of the Skeptics Society. Copublisher and Editor of "Skeptic" magazine. Also current writer for the " Scientific American" column "Skeptic".
Matt Stone, writer, director. Creator of South ParkTV show.
Julia Sweeney, actress, comedian. Author and performer of "Letting Go of God".
* Teller, magician, half of
Penn & Tellerduo. Creator and host of the television series " Bullshit!"
Marcello Truzzi, sociologist. First Editor of the "Skeptical Inquirer". Critic of organized skepticism. Founding member of CSICOP (now CSI).
Richard Wiseman, psychologist. Author of " Quirkology".
* Alberta Skeptics
* Skeptic Eye (The UK's #1 skeptic site)
* ARP – Sociedad para el Avance del Pensamiento Crítico
* Argentina Skeptics
* Asociación Racional Escéptica de Venezuela
* Association for Rational Thought
* [http://www.aske.org.uk/ Association for Skeptical Enquiry] (UK)
* Association for the Rational Investigation of the Paranormal
* Association of Independent Danish Skeptics
* Association Francaise pour l'Informacion Scientifique
* [http://badpsychics.com/ BadPsychics] (UK's most popular sceptical group exposing psychics)
* Baton Rouge Proponents of Rational Inquiry and Scientific Methods
* Bay Area Skeptics
Bihar Buddhiwadi Samaj
* Biuletyn Sceptyczny
British Columbia Skeptics
* Carolina Skeptics
* Central Iowa Skeptics
* Central New York Skeptics
Center for Inquiry
* Český klub skeptiků Sisyfos (Czech Skeptics Club Sisyfos)
CICAP(Comitato Italiano per il Controllo delle Affermazioni sul Paranormale) (Italy)
* Círculo Escéptico
* China Association for Science and Technology
* Chinese Skeptics Circle
* Comité Belge pour l'Investigation Scientifique des Phénomènes Réputés Paranormaux (France)
* Comite de Investigaciones de lo Paranormal lo Seudocientifico y lo irracional
* Comitato Italiano per il Controllo delle Affermazioni sul Paranormale
Committee for Skeptical Inquiry(formerly Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal) (CSICOP) (New York)
Dakshina Kannada Rationalist Association(India)
* Dravidar Kazhagam
* [http://www.drinkingskeptically.org/ Drinking Skeptically]
* East Bay Skeptics Society
* European Council of Skeptical Organisations
Federation of Indian Rationalist Associations(India)
Föreningen Vetenskap och Folkbildning(Sweden)
Freedom From Religion Foundation(U. S. A.)
* Gesellschaft zur wissenschaftlichen Untersuchung von Parawissenschaften (Germany)
* Gesellschaft für Anomalistik (Germany)
* Great Lakes Skeptics
* Hong Kong Skeptics
* Houston Association for Scientific Thinking
* Hungarian Skeptic Society (Hungary)
* Independent Investigations Group
* Indiana Skeptics
* Indian Skeptics
* Indian Rationalist Association
* Iniciativa para la Promoción del Pensamiento Crítico
Irish Skeptics Society
* Institute for African Ecology and Philosophy
* Inquiring Skeptics of Upper New York
* Israel Skeptics Society
James Randi Educational Foundation(Florida)
* Japan Anti-Pseudoscience Activities Network
* Japan Skeptics
* Kansas City Committee for Skeptical Inquiry
* Kazakhastan Commission for Investigation of Anomalous Phenomena
* Kentucky Association of Science Educators and Skeptics
* Korea PseudoScience Awareness
* Manitoba Skeptics
* Maharashtra Superstition Irradication Committee
* Mexican Association for Skeptical Research
* Midwest Committee for Rational Inquiry
* Minnesota Skeptics
* Montana Rationalists and Skeptics Network
* New Mexicans for Science & Reason
* National Capital Area Skeptics
New England Skeptical Society
* New York Area Skeptics
* [http://www.nycskeptics.org/ New York City Skeptics]
* New Zealand Skeptics
* North Texas Skeptics
* Observatoire Zététique
* Opção Racional
* Oregonians for Rationality
* Paranormal Investigating Committee of Pittsburgh
* Phoenix Skeptics
* Philadelphia Association for Critical Thinking
* [http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~skeptic/ Purdue Skeptics Society] (West Lafayette, Indiana)
* Rational Examination Association of Lincoln Land
* Rationalists of East Tennessee
Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science(RDFRS) (United Kingdom and United States)
* Sacramento Organization for Rational Thinking
* Sacramento Skeptics Society
* San Diego Association for Rational Inquiry
* Skepsis (Norway)
* Sceptical Investigations
* Sceptiques du Quebec
Science and Rationalists' Association of India
* Skeptical Inquirers of New England
* Skeptics Canada (Formerly Ontario Skeptics)
Sociedade Brasileira de Céticos e Racionalistas
Sociedade da Terra Redonda
* South Shore Skeptics
* St. Kloud ESP Teaching Investigation Committee
* Sri Lanka Rationalist Association
* Stichting Skepsis
* Studiekring voor Kritische Evaluatie van Pseudo-wetenschap en het Paranormale
* Tampa Bay Skeptics
* Tucson Skeptical Society (TUSKS)
* The Association for Skeptical Enquiry
* The Finnish Association of Skeptics
The National Council Against Health Fraud(Peabody, Massachusetts)
The Skeptics Society(California)
* The Society for Sensible Explanations
* [http://www.skeptics.org.uk/ UK-Skeptics]
* Union Rationaliste
* West Virginians for Science and Reason
* Western New York Paranormal
* Western New York Skeptics
* Zetetics Laboratory of the University of Nice
* [http://www.csicop.org/articles/19991214-century/ Skeptical Inquirer Magazine Names the Ten Outstanding Skeptics of the Century.]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of pseudosciences and pseudoscientific concepts — This is a list of fields of endeavor and concepts regarded as pseudoscientific by organizations within the international scientific community or by notable skeptical organizations. The existence of such expressed opinions suffices for inclusion… … Wikipedia
List of UFO organizations — Contents 1 Africa 1.1 Zimbabwe 2 Asia 2.1 Indonesia … Wikipedia
List of common misconceptions — This incomplete list is not intended to be exhaustive. This is a list of current, widely held, false ideas and beliefs about notable topics which have been reported by reliable sources from around the world. Each has been discussed in published… … Wikipedia
Planetary objects proposed in religion, astrology, ufology and pseudoscience — This article is about non scientific hypothetical planetary objects. For scientifically accepted hypothetical planetary objects, see Hypothetical planet (disambiguation). For fictional planets, see Planets in science fiction. There are a number… … Wikipedia
Committee for Skeptical Inquiry — The Committee for Skeptical Inquiry (CSI), formerly known as the Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal (CSICOP), is a program within the U.S. non profit organization CFI, whose stated purpose is to encourage the… … Wikipedia
Unidentified flying object — UFO redirects here. For other uses, see UFO (disambiguation). Photograph of alleged UFO, New Jersey, July 31, 1952 A term originally coined by … Wikipedia
Majestic 12 — This article is about the purported secret committee called Majestic 12 . For other uses, see Majestic 12 (disambiguation). The 1947 letter, purported to be signed by Harry Truman, authorizing Operation Majestic Twelve . Majestic 12 (also known… … Wikipedia
Bermuda Triangle — Classic borders of the Bermuda Triangle Classification Grouping Paranormal places … Wikipedia
Philosophical skepticism — For a general discussion of skepticism, see Skepticism. Philosophical skepticism (from Greek σκέψις skepsis meaning enquiry UK spelling, scepticism) is both a philosophical school of thought and a method that crosses disciplines and cultures.… … Wikipedia
Marfa lights — The Marfa lights, also known as the Marfa ghost lights, have been observed near U.S. Route 67 on Mitchell Flat east of Marfa, Texas, in the United States. Research suggests that most if not all are atmospheric reflections of automobile headlights … Wikipedia