- Escala (group)
Escala Also known as Scala
Origin London, England Genres Classical, pop, crossover Years active 2006 – present Labels Syco [2008-2010], Sony BMG[2010-Present] Associated acts Wild Website www.escalaofficial.com Members Tasya Hodges
Escala (previously known as Scala, then eScala) is an electronic string quartet, from London, England who rose to fame when they performed on and reached the final of the second series of Britain's Got Talent on ITV1 in May 2008.
Two of the four members of Escala, Izzy Johnston and Chantal Leverton, were part of Wild, a similar five-piece classical group who were signed to EMI and released an album with the label in 2005. The four members of the group met in 2005 when they were part of the string section on an arena tour with McFly. Three of them, Victoria Lyon, Chantal Leverton and Tasya Hodges performed with Jeff Wayne on his War of the Worlds Tour in 2006.
Britain's Got Talent
In the first round of the show, Escala performed a "techno version" of "Palladio" by the Welsh composer Karl Jenkins, and were put through to the semi-finals by judges Simon Cowell, Amanda Holden and Piers Morgan. At the semi-final, they performed an instrumental version of "Live And Let Die" by Paul McCartney and Wings, receiving a positive reaction from the judges, with Piers Morgan describing it as "the best performance of the week". They won the public vote to win the semi-final and secure a place in the final with nine other acts.
The four members of Escala are professional musicians who have had experience of performing in orchestras and on tour. However, with Britain's Got Talent being a competition for "undiscovered talent", their experience was said to run counter to the spirit of the show, which Escala refuted, with Izzy Johnston saying, "It's supposed to be open to everyone, professional and amateur alike."
They were also alleged to have been invited to audition for Britain's Got Talent by Simon Cowell after they supposedly played the X Factor wrap party in late 2007. However, ITV refused claims that this was unfair, stating "Scala went through the same application and audition process as everyone else. Britain's Got Talent is open to any performer be it professional or amateur, with any talent."
The members of Escala denied that they played at the X Factor wrap party, but on 18 November 2009 on This Morning with Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby they admitted that they played at the wrap party that one of Escala's family members had arranged. They were told it could help their career, which it did, but Izzy Johnston still claims that she had played as part of a string section backing for Michael Bublé in his appearances as a guest on the show.
The quartet changed their name from Scala to Escala during Britain's Got Talent after it was discovered that there was already a Belgian choir using the name Scala - Scala & Kolacny Brothers. They changed the name to Escala after EMI threatened to sue, despite having used the name Scala for two years. After the show they put a lower case 'e' on the beginning to eScala but have since then reverted to Escala.
After Britain's Got Talent
On 6 June 2008 Escala performed at the first night of the nationwide Britain's Got Talent tour in London and on 8 June it was revealed that they had signed a £1.5million contract deal with Sony BMG.
In July 2008 they were signed to perform as part of a new promotional campaign for Sky Sports coverage of the 2008–09 football season. The high profile campaign began airing on 19 July with Escala performing "Palladio", was filmed at the Royal Horticultural Halls in London and featured them performing with clips from football matches. The promotion campaign was also used to promote other upcoming sports events on the channel.
On 20 September 2008, Escala performed at the Help for Heroes rugby union challenge match at Twickenham Stadium, London in aid of wounded British servicemen and women. On 11 May 2009, Escala made their American debut on The Oprah Winfrey Show as part of her World's Got Talent show with Simon Cowell.
On 25 May 2009, Escala performed as guests, non-competitively, on the second semi-final of the third series of Britain's Got Talent. They performed Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir."
Escala performed on BBC Radio 2's Friday Night is Music Night on 12 June 2009 and followed it up with a performance at Lord's during a charity match between Middlesex and the Rajasthan Royals on July 6, 2009.
On 25 November 2009, Escala were guests on the afternoon live Alan Titchmarsh Show, on ITV. They were individually interviewed by the eponymous presenter and then performed the Karl Jenkins' composed track "Palladio", from their current CD.
On 4 December 2009, Escala performed "Palladio" at the NASCAR Sprint Cup Awards Ceremony in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Escala revealed their debut album, Escala, to an audience of about 400 media at Whitehall Palace, London on 23 September 2008. Produced by Trevor Horn, it was set for release on 25 May 2009. On 29 October 2008 they performed the soundtrack for the premiere of the James Bond film Quantum of Solace at the Odeon Leicester Square during the London Film Festival.
In late March and April 2009, Escala began a regional promotional tour of the United Kingdom. In March 2009, it was also revealed that Escala were to collaborate with Slash on a cover of Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" for their album; previously, Bond had covered the song in a similar style for their Shine album. Other songs on the album included covers of Robert Miles's "Children" and Wings' "Live and Let Die". Escala also performed at the 250th anniversary of George Federich Handel in front of Queen Elizabeth II on 5 June 2009 and were met by the Foundling choir and Thomas Coram Middle school Choir.
Hodges plays the cello. Born in London, she is half-Croatian and spent her early life living in Croatia and Belgium. She returned to England when she won a scholarship to study at the Yehudi Menuhin School in Surrey. She then spent four years at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama where she won a prize to perform with the London Symphony Orchestra for three months. She graduated from the Guildhall in 2004.
She has also performed with the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain and performed with Jeff Wayne on his War of the Worlds Tour in 2006 then toured with Take That in 2007. She has also recorded with the Arctic Monkeys and The Streets. She was a member of The Heritage Orchestra, who recorded their first album at Abbey Road Studios, which was released on 14 August 2006. She has also performed at the Montreux, and London Jazz Festivals.
She started playing the violin at the age of five and appeared in the musical Annie in a school production, playing the title role. She also played "Fiddler" in the musical Fiddler on the Roof. As a dancer she attended the Royal Ballet Summer School at White Lodge, Richmond Park.
She studied the violin at the junior department of the Royal College of Music in London, and then studied at Chetham's School of Music in Manchester where she won the "Ida Caroll String Prize". She then gained a full scholarship to the Royal College of Music where she studied with Howard Davis. She also spent two summers studying at prestigious music schools in the United States.
Johnston was a member of Wild with Chantal Leverton in 2005. She performed an arrangement of the Four Seasons at the 2005 Proms with her brother Magnus, at the Royal Albert Hall. In 2007 she was a guest soloist with Michael Ball.. She is the girlfriend of Harry Judd, the drummer of the boy band McFly.
Leverton plays viola. She was born in London and started to learn the violin at seven years old. After violin lessons as school she studied at the Trinity College of Music in Greenwich for five years, where at thirteen years old she won the "Henry Wood Prize for most promising string player". When she was fourteen she played at Wigmore Hall, London in a masterclass with the Vienna Piano Trio.
Leverton was a member of the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain. When she was seventeen Leverton switched from the violin to the viola following a recommendation from her music teacher. Leverton then joined her music teacher at the Royal Academy of Music on Marylebone Road in London, where she won a scholarship.
Before joining Escala, she was a member of Wild with Izzy Johnston in 2005. She performed with Jeff Wayne on his War of the Worlds Tour in 2006 and has also performed solo viola at the launch of the new Baldessarini Boutique in Dubai where she was featured in the Middle East OK! magazine. She has also performed with Aled Jones and the boy band Blue.
Lyon plays violin. She is the great-great-granddaughter of the Swedish opera singer Jenny Lind, went to Wells Cathedral School and graduated from the Royal College of Music before joining the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra where she was the youngest member. She has toured with Simply Red, and performed with Jeff Wayne on his War of the Worlds Tour in 2006. She has also performed with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra  and the Philharmonia.
Year Album details Chart peak positions Certifications Sales UK IRE 2009 Escala 2 10
- UK: 100,000+
- The following songs from the group's self-titled album charted but were not released as singles.
Year Single Chart positions Album UK IE EU 2009 "Kashmir" 78 - - Escala "Palladio" 39 49 -
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j Husband, Stuart (15 May 2008). "Scala on Britain's Got Talent electrify Simon Cowell". The Daily Mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/you/article-1019207/Scala-em-Britains-Got-Talent-em-electrify-Simon-Cowell.html. Retrieved 2008-06-02.
- ^ a b c d e f "Escala homepage". Escala. http://www.escalamusic.com/index.php. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- ^ Martin, Allison (31 May 2008). "Nemisis and Escala through to Britain's Got Talent final". The Daily Mirror. http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/2008/05/31/nemesis-and-escala-through-to-britain-s-got-talent-final-115875-20589971/. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- ^ "George Sampson wins Britain's Got Talent". London: Daily Telegraph. 1 June 2008. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/2060958/George-Sampson-wins-Britain's-Got-Talent.html. Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- ^ Hamilton, Sean (13 April 2008). "Britains Got Talent: Scala Are Bunch Of Real Pros". The Sunday Mirror. http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/sunday/2008/04/13/britain-s-got-talent-scala-are-bunch-of-real-pros-98487-20380925/. Retrieved 2006-06-02.
- ^ "Britain's Got Talent: row over Scala's name". The Daily Mirror. 30 May 2008. http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/2008/05/30/britain-s-got-talent-row-over-scala-s-name-89520-20588644/. Retrieved 2008-06-02.
- ^ Kilkelly, Danel (8 June 2008). "'Talent' finalists Escala sign Cowell deal". The Daily Mirror. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/realitytv/a98232/talent-finalists-escala-sign-cowell-deal.html. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- ^ "Sky's string stars! Palladio to soundtrack Sky Sports ad campaign". Sky Sports. 8 July 2008. http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12193_3792685,00.html. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- ^ "News Archive". Hayley Westenra official website. http://www.hayleywestenra.com/news.php. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- ^ "Help for Heroes Challenge Match - Saturday 20 September 2008". Help for Heroes. http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/rugby_schedule.html. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- ^ Osborne House Concerts 2009 - Simply Red and Anastacia Headline
- ^ Schmidt, Veronica (29 October 2008). "Finally... it's time for the Quantum of Solace premiere". London: The Times. http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/london_film_festival/article5031937.ece. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- ^ a b c d e f g h "Escala news". Escala. http://www.escalamusic.com/news.php. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- ^ "Escala's Regional Promotional Tour". Escala. 2009-03-27. http://www.escalamusic.com/index.php/newsdiary/post/escalas_regional_promotional_tour/. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- ^ "Escala are heading up to the North-East for more Regional Promotion!". Escala. 2009-04=07. http://www.escalamusic.com/index.php/newsdiary/post/escala_are_heading_up_to_the_north-east_for_more_regional_promotion/. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- ^ a b Michaels, Sean (2008-03-18). "Slash to team up with Britain's Got Talent string quartet". London: The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/mar/18/slash-classical-string-quartet-escala. Retrieved 2009-04-07.
- ^ a b c "Biographies - Izzy Johnston". Wild. http://www.wildmusic.co.uk/izzy_biog.html. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- ^ a b "Biographies - Chantal Leverton". Wild. http://www.wildmusic.co.uk/chantal_biog.html. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- ^ http://acharts.us/album/43888
- ^ "Chart Stats - Escala - Escala". www.chartstats.com. http://www.chartstats.com/albuminfo.php?id=13992. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- ^ http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/Search.aspx
- ^ http://acharts.us/song/43895
Britain's Got Talent Series Presenters Judges Winners Notable
contestantsSeries 1Series 2Series 3Series 4Series 5Ronan Parke • Out of the Blue
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Escala H0 — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda modelo prototipo de una locomotora de maniobras con cabina centran en escla HO (1:87), fabricada por Bachmann mostrada junto a un lápiz para comparación. escala H0 (en América del Norte, Europa, Japón y Australia … Wikipedia Español
Escala ECOG — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda La escala ECOG es una forma práctica de medir la calidad de vida de un paciente exclusivamente con cáncer u oncológico, cuyas expectativas de vida cambian en el transcurso de meses, semanas e incluso días. Fue… … Wikipedia Español
Escala ECOG — La escala ECOG es una forma práctica de medir la calidad de vida de un paciente oncológico, cuyas expectativas de vida cambian en el transcurso de meses, semanas e incluso días. Fue diseñada por el Eastern Cooperative Oncologic Group (ECOG) de… … Enciclopedia Universal
Joint Photographic Experts Group — JPEG Foto de una flor comprimida gradualmente con el formato JPEG. Desarrollador Joint Photographic Experts Group Información general … Wikipedia Español
LATAM Airlines Group — Avión de LAN Airlines Un avión de TAM Líneas A … Wikipedia Español
Afinsa — is the world s third largest collectibles company, after Sotheby s and Christie s, and with its controlling stake in Escala Group operates in many European cities, the USA and Asia. Founded in 1980 by Albertino de Figueiredo, a Portuguese… … Wikipedia
Афинса — исп. Grupo Afinsa, S. A. Тип … Википедия
Форум Филателико — Grupo Afinsa, S. A. Год основания 1980 Ключевые фигуры порт. Albertino de Figueiredo (основатель, почётный президент группы компаний «Афинса») исп. Francisco Briones (през … Википедия
S.C. Johnson Graduate School of Management — Infobox University name = S.C. Johnson School of Management established = 1946 dean = L. Joseph Thomas type = Private city = Ithaca state = New York country = USA enrollment = 682 endowment = $154 million [cite web | url =… … Wikipedia
Afinsa — es un grupo empresarial español especializado en la inversión en sellos y otros bienes tangibles. Fue fundada en 1980 por Albertino de Figueiredo, un portugués residente en Madrid. El 9 de mayo de 2006, Afinsa fue intervenida judicialmente, junto … Wikipedia Español