- Stranger in a Strange Land (song)
"Stranger in a Strange Land" Single by Iron Maiden from the album Somewhere in Time B-side "That Girl"
Released 22 November 1986 Genre Heavy metal Length 5:45 Label EMI Writer(s) Adrian Smith Iron Maiden singles chronology "Wasted Years"
"Stranger in a Strange Land"
"Can I Play with Madness"
"Stranger in a Strange Land" is the second single by Iron Maiden from their 1986 album Somewhere in Time. The song is unrelated to Robert A. Heinlein's novel by the same name. The lyrics are about an Arctic explorer who dies and is frozen in the ice. After a hundred years his body is found preserved by other people exploring there. Adrian Smith was inspired to write about this song after talking to an explorer who had had a similar experience of discovering a frozen body. The guitar solo in "Stranger in a Strange Land" is played by Adrian Smith. The song is one of only three Iron Maiden songs to fade out, the other being "The Prophecy" from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and "Women in Uniform", a single included on some pressings of Killers. The lyrics "no brave new world" were also present in Iron Maiden's 2000 studio release, Brave New World.
Eddie's appearance on the single cover is an homage to the Clint Eastwood character "Man with No Name". This version of Eddie would later be used in the Camp Chaos music video for "Run to the Hills".
The B-sides to this single, "That Girl" and "Juanita", came from two bands that Adrian Smith's friend, Andy Barnett, played with. They were played during The Entire Population of Hackney secret gig on 19 December 1985 and this is probably where the idea came from to play them as B-sides, especially with Adrian's large presence on this single and the Somewhere in Time album. The first guitar solo in "That Girl" is played by Dave Murray while the ending guitar solo is played by Adrian Smith.
- In the top-right corner of the cover (slightly right of Eddie's lit match), the time on the clock appears as "11:58". This is a reference to a previous Iron Maiden single, "2 Minutes to Midnight".
- Several cards can be seen falling from the table. One, (orange background, next to red coloured card) contains a picture of the Grim Reaper, like that on the Trooper cover.
- Just under one of the stacks of cards, on the edge of the table, Derek Riggs' signature can be seen.
- In the music video for a later song, "The Angel and the Gambler" (from Virtual XI), then-singer Blaze Bayley dressed up like this Eddie.
- "Stranger in a Strange Land" (Adrian Smith) – 5:45
- "That Girl" (Merv Goldsworthy, Pete Jupp, Andy Barnett; FM cover) – 5:04
- "Juanita" (Steve Barnacle, Derek O'Neil; Marshall Fury cover) – 3:47
Year Single Chart Position Album 1986 "Stranger in a Strange Land" Irish Singles Chart 18 Somewhere in Time UK Singles Chart 22 1990 "Wasted Years/ Stranger in a Strange Land" UK Albums Chart[note 1] 9 —
- ^ Re-release of both singles as part of "The First Ten Years" box set. Exceeded the length limit of the UK Singles chart.
- Bruce Dickinson – vocals
- Dave Murray – synthesized guitar
- Adrian Smith – synthesized guitar
- Steve Harris – bass guitar
- Nicko McBrain – drums
- ^ "Review". Allmusic.com. http://www.allmusic.com/album/somewhere-in-time-r9916/review. Retrieved 25 October 2010.
- ^ "Iron Maiden Somewhere in Time". Sputnikmusic. http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?albumid=220. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- ^ "Irish singles archive". http://www.irishcharts.ie/search/placement. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- ^ "UK Singles chart archive- 29th November 1986". http://www.theofficialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/1/1986-11-29/. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- ^ "UK Albums chart archive- 14th April 1990". http://www.theofficialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/3/1990-04-14/. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Stranger in a Strange Land (disambiguation) — Stranger in a Strange Land may refer to:*Exodus 2:22, And she bare [him] a son, and he called his name Gershom: for he said, I have been a stranger in a strange land. *Stranger in a Strange Land, science fiction novel by Robert A. Heinlein… … Wikipedia
Stranger in a Strange Land (chanson) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir En terre étrangère. Stranger in a Strange Land Single par Iron Maiden extrait de l’album Somewhere In Time Face A Stranger in a Strange Land … Wikipédia en Français
Stranger in a Strange Land — For other uses, see Stranger in a Strange Land (disambiguation). Stranger in a Strange Land … Wikipedia
Stranger in a Strange Land — Fremder in einer fremden Welt (Originaltitel Stranger in a Strange Land) ist ein Science Fiction Roman von Robert A. Heinlein aus dem Jahre 1961. In ihm wird die Geschichte von Valentine Michael Smith erzählt, einem Menschen, der von Marsianern… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Stranger in a strange land — Fremder in einer fremden Welt (Originaltitel Stranger in a Strange Land) ist ein Science Fiction Roman von Robert A. Heinlein aus dem Jahre 1961. In ihm wird die Geschichte von Valentine Michael Smith erzählt, einem Menschen, der von Marsianern… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Paralyzer (song) — Infobox Single Name = Paralyzer Artist = Finger Eleven from Album =Them vs. You vs. Me Released = March 6 2007 Format = Digital download CD Single Recorded = 2007 Genre = Dance Punk Hard rock Length = 3:24 Label = Wind up Records Writer = Shane… … Wikipedia
The Number of the Beast (song) — The Number of the Beast Single by Iron Maiden from the album The Number of the Beast Released … Wikipedia
Different World (song) — Different World Single by Iron Maiden from the album A Matter of Life and Death B side … Wikipedia
Out of the Silent Planet (song) — Out of the Silent Planet Single by Iron Maiden from the album Brave New World … Wikipedia
Follow Your Heart (song) — Infobox Single Name = Follow Your Heart Artist = Triumph from Album = Thunder Seven B side = Stranger in a Strange Land Released = Start date|1984|12|8 Format … Wikipedia