Audacity 1.3.12 Beta
Developer(s) The Audacity Team Initial release 28 May 2000 Stable release +/−](November 15, 2006 ) [ Preview release +/−](April 11, 2011 ) [ Written in C and C++ (using the wxWidgets toolkit) Operating system Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Unix Available in Over 20 languages Type Digital audio editor License GNU GPL v2+ Website audacity.sourceforge.net
Audacity was created by Dominic Mazzoni while he was a graduate student at Carnegie Mellon University. Mazzoni now works at Google, but is still the main developer and maintainer of Audacity, with help from many others around the world.
The latest release of Audacity is 1.3.13, a beta, released on 11 April 2011. As of 10 October 2011, it was the 11th most popular download from SourceForge.net, with 76.5 million downloads. Audacity won the SourceForge.net 2007 Community Choice Award for Best Project for Multimedia.
Features and usage
Audacity can also be used for post-processing of all types of audio, including podcasts by adding effects such as normalization, trimming, and fading in and out. Audacity has also been used to record and mix entire albums, such as by tUnE-yArDs. It is also currently used in the OCR National Level 2 ICT course for the sound creation unit.
Audacity's features include the following:
- Importing and exporting of WAV, AIFF, MP3 (via the LAME encoder, downloaded separately), Ogg Vorbis, and all file formats supported by libsndfile library. Versions 1.3.2 and later support Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC). Version 1.3.6 and later also support additional formats such as WMA, AAC, AMR and AC3 via the optional FFmpeg library.
- Recording and playing back sounds
- Editing via Cut, Copy and Paste (with unlimited levels of Undo)
- Multitrack mixing
- A large array of digital effects and plug-ins. Additional effects can be written with Nyquist
- Built-in LADSPA plug-in support. VST support available through an optional VST Enabler.
- Amplitude envelope editing
- Noise Removal based on sampling the noise to be removed. Surface noise from records, for example, can be removed with hardly any discernable effect on the music.
- Audio spectrum analysis using the Fourier transformation algorithm
- Support for multi-channel modes with sampling rates up to 96 kHz with 32 bits per sample
- Precise adjustments to the audio's speed while maintaining pitch (Audacity calls it changing tempo), in order to synchronize it with video or run for a predetermined length of time
- Changes to the audio's pitch without changing the speed
- Features of modern multi-track audio software including navigation controls, zoom and single track edit, project pane and XY project navigation, non-destructive and destructive effect processing, audio file manipulation (cut, copy, paste)
- Conversion of cassette tapes or records into digital tracks by automatically splitting the audio source into multiple tracks based on silences in the source material
- Support for multiple platforms — Audacity works on Windows, Mac OS X, and Unix-like systems (including Linux and BSD), among others
- The latest stable version supports Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista, but Windows 95 and NT are not supported. Windows 7 support is still provisional. For Windows 7, the developers recommend the latest 1.3.x Beta
- Audacity uses the wxWidgets software library to provide a similar graphical user interface on several different operating systems.
Only "provisional" support is provided for Windows 7, although the program can be made to run under it with certain known issues, involving launching the application, recording and playback and the interface. Development of the Audacity 1.3 beta series is focusing on providing full Windows 7 support.
Audacity does not currently support WMA, AAC, or most other proprietary or restricted file formats.
In addition to English language help, the ZIP file of the downloadable Audacity software program includes help files for Afrikaans, Arabic, Basque, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian and Welsh in its user interface. A partial Bengali help file is also included.
- ^ "Audacity: Credits". http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/credits. Retrieved 2008-08-15.
- ^ SourceForge (July 2004). "Project of the Month July 2004 - Audacity". http://sourceforge.net/potm/potm-2004-07.php. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- ^ United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (2004). "E-Commerce and Development Report 2004". http://www.unctad.org/en/docs/ecdr2004ch3_en.pdf. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- ^ Audacity Team. "License, and Advice for Vendors and Distributors". http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/license. Retrieved 2010-02-23.
- ^ http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ Retrieved 2011-04-11.
- ^ "SourceForge.net: All-Time Top Downloads". http://sourceforge.net/top/topalltime.php?type=downloads. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- ^ "SourceForge.net: 2007 Community Choice Awards". http://sourceforge.net/community/index.php/landing-pages/cca07/. Retrieved 2008-01-19.
- ^ "Podcasting with Linux Command Line Tools and Audacity". http://www.packtpub.com/article/podcasting-with-linux-command-line-tools-and-audacity. Retrieved 2008-01-19.
- ^ "World of Wonder". The New Yorker. May 2, 2011. http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/musical/2011/05/02/110502crmu_music_frerejones.
- ^ Audacity development team (2006-10-30). "Audacity 1.3.2 a 1.2.5 released". http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/news?id=2006-10-30/1.3.2-release&lang=en. Retrieved 2010-01-19.
- ^ Audacity development team. "Audacity: Plug-Ins and Libraries". http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/plugins. Retrieved 2011-01-28.
- ^ "Compare Sequencing & Multi-track Recording - Kelly's Music & Computers Comparison Charts". Kellysmusic.ca. http://kellysmusic.ca/chart/compchart.asp?chartid=6. Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- ^ Audacity (undated). "Audacity - Windows". http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows. Retrieved 2008-10-11.
- ^ "FAQ:Installation and Plug-Ins - Audacity Manual". Audacityteam.org. 2009-11-25. http://www.audacityteam.org/manual/index.php?title=FAQ:Installation_and_Plug-Ins. Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- ^ Audacity Project (November 2008). "Audacity Feature Requests". http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Feature_Requests. Retrieved 2008-11-08.
- ^ "Quick Guide - Audacity Manual". Audacityteam.org. http://www.audacityteam.org/manual/index.php?title=Quick_Guide. Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- ^ Windows 7 OS
- ^ Audacity Features
- ^ Changing the current language
- ^ MultiLingual
Free software ProprietaryAbleton Live · ACID Pro · Adobe Audition · Adobe Soundbooth · AudioDesk · AudioMulch · BIAS Peak · Cakewalk Sonar · Digital Performer · FL Studio · FL Studio Mobile · FlexiMusic Wave Editor · Steinberg Cubase · Steinberg Nuendo · GarageBand · GoldWave · KRISTAL Audio Engine · Logic Pro · MAGIX Samplitude · MAGIX Sequoia · Mixcraft · MU.LAB · n-Track Studio · Orion Platinum · Podium · PreSonus Studio One · Pro Tools · REAPER · Reason · Record · ReCycle · Renoise · Sequel · Sony Vegas · Sound Forge · Sound Studio · Sound Tools · SoundDroid · Tracktion · WaveLab · Z-MaestroCategory
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Audacity — Interface d exploitation de Audacity sous Windows 7 … Wikipédia en Français
Audacity — 1.3.5 Beta … Deutsch Wikipedia
Audacity — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Audacity Inter … Wikipedia Español
Audacity — Au*dac i*ty, n. 1. Daring spirit, resolution, or confidence; venturesomeness. [1913 Webster] The freedom and audacity necessary in the commerce of men. Tatler. [1913 Webster] 2. Reckless daring; presumptuous impudence; implying a contempt of law… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
audacity — [n1] recklessness, daring adventurousness, audaciousness, boldness, bravery, courage, dauntlessness, enterprise, fearlessness, guts, intrepidity, nerve, rashness, valor, venturesomeness; concept 633 Ant. care, carefulness, caution, reserve,… … New thesaurus
audacity — I noun audacia, audaciousness, bold front, boldness, bravado, brave face, bravura, confidence in one s powers, daring, defiance of danger, derring do, hardihood, intrepidity, nerve, overboldness, overdaring, protervitas, rashness, recklessness,… … Law dictionary
Audacity — es un programa multiplataforma de grabación y edición de sonidos fácil de usar, de libre uso y de código abierto distribuido bajo licencia GPL. Debido a su calidad ha sido introducido en numerosas distribuciones GNU/Linux al ser uno de los… … Enciclopedia Universal
audacity — mid 15c., from M.L. audacitas boldness, from L. audacis gen. of audax (see AUDACIOUS (Cf. audacious)) … Etymology dictionary
audacity — *temerity, hardihood, effrontery, nerve, cheek, gall Analogous words: intrepidity, boldness, courageousness (see corresponding adjectives at BRAVE): daring, daredeviltry, recklessness, rashness, foolhardiness (see corresponding adjectives at… … New Dictionary of Synonyms
audacity — [ô das′ə tē] n. [ME audacite < L audacia: see AUDACIOUS] 1. bold courage; daring 2. shameless or brazen boldness; insolence 3. pl. audacities an audacious act or remark SYN. TEMERITY … English World dictionary