- List of free and open source software packages
This is a list of free and open source software packages: computer software licensed under free software licenses and open source licenses. Software that fits the Free Software Definition may be more appropriately called free software; the GNU project in particular objects to their works being referred to as open source. For more information about the philosophical background for open source software, see free software movement and Open Source Initiative. However, nearly all software meeting the Free Software Definition also meets the Open Source Definition and vice versa. A small fraction of the software that meets either definition is listed here.
- ZeuAPP - Free software program which automatically installs a large list of open source and/or freeware from over 182 applications and 15 different categories based on the user's choice
Electronic design automation (EDA)
- Bitcoin - Peer to peer decentralised digital cash.
- vtiger CRM - Open Source Customer Relationship Management(CRM) software with Sales force automation, marketing management,Customer Service/Support,Inventory Management
- ReOS — Web-based real estate listing management application
- SugarCRM — Commercial Open Source Customer Relationship Management
- OrangeHRM — Commercial Open Source Human Resource Management
- Ebase — Open source constituent relationship management developed especially for non-profit organizations
- Dolibarr ERP/CRM — Open source ERP/CRM software
- Bonita Open Solution — Business Process Management
- Adempiere — ERP Business Suite
- bookyt - Simple web-based Double-entry book-keeping software in Ruby on Rails
- Compiere — ERP solution automates accounting, supply chain, inventory and sales orders
- FrontAccounting — web-based accounting system with ERP elements
- GnuCash — Double-entry book-keeping
- Grisbi — Single-entry
- HomeBank — for personal use
- JFire - an ERP Business Suite written with Java and JDO
- JGnash — Java-based, double-entry book-keeping
- JQuantLib — Java-based Quantitative Finance API framework for financial instrument valuation and more...
- KMyMoney — Double-entry book-keeping
- LedgerSMB — Double-entry book-keeping
- MibianLib - Options pricing library written in python
- Mifos — Microfinance Institution management software
- Octopus Micro Finance Suite — Microfinance Institution management software
- OpenERP — ERP system
- Postbooks — Integrated Accounting and ERP Business Suite
- QuickFIX — FIX protocol engine written in C++ with additional C#, Ruby, and Python wrappers
- QuickFIX/J — FIX protocol engine written in Java
- SQL Ledger — Double-entry book-keeping
- TurboCASH — Double-entry book-keeping for Windows
- WebERP — web-based ERP system
Integrated Library System
- refbase — Web-based institutional repository and reference management software
- SimPy; queue-theoretic event-based simulator written in Python
- Blender; 3D modeling software written in Python and C++ that can make animations and games
Geographic Information Systems
Microscope image processing
- MeshLab, able to import PDB dataset and build up surfaces from them
- See List of open source bioinformatics software.
- P-GRADE Portal — Grid portal software enabling the creation, execution and monitoring of workflows through high-level Web interfaces
- OpenCog A project that aims to build an open source artificial general intelligence (AGI) framework. OpenCog Prime is a specific set of interacting components designed to give rise to human-equivalent artificial general intelligence.
- Computer Vision
- OpenCV Open Source Computer Vision Library
- AForge.NET Computer Vision, Artificial Intelligence and Robotics library for the .NET Framework
- ROS Robot Operating System
- TREX Reactive planning
- Machine Learning
Speech (synthesis and recognition)
- CMU Sphinx — Speech recognition software from Carnegie Mellon University
- Emacspeak — Audio desktop
- Festival Speech Synthesis System
- Modular Audio Recognition Framework — voice, audio, speech NLP processing
- NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA) Screen reader for Windows
- Text2Speech — Lightweight and easy to use Text To Speech (TTS) Software
- ESpeak - compact open source software speech synthesizer for English and other languages
Other assistive technology
- Dasher — Unique text input software
- Gnopernicus — AT suite for GNOME 2
- Virtual Magnifying Glass - a free, open source, multiplatform, screen magnification tool.
Data storage and management
Database management systems (including administration)
- Eucalyptus — Open source cloud computing software
- AppScale -- Open source cloud computing platform-as-a-service
Data Visualization Components
- FusionCharts Free
- ParaView plotting and visualization functions developed by Sandia National Laboratory, capable of massively parallel flow visualization utilizing multiple computer processors
- Orange (software) — Open source data visualization and data mining for novice and experts, through visual programming or Python scripting. Extensions for bioinformatics and text mining.
- RapidMiner — data mining software written in Java, fully integrating Weka, featuring 350+ operators for preprocessing, machine learning, visualization, etc.
- Scriptella ETL — ETL (Extract-Transform-Load) and script execution tool. Supports integration with J2EE and Spring. Provides connectors to CSV, LDAP, XML, JDBC/ODBC and other data sources.
- Weka — data mining software written in Java featuring machine learning operators for classification, regression, and clustering.
- jHepWork — Java-based data analysis framework
- Konstanz Information Miner (KNIME)
- Environment for DeveLoping KDD-Applications Supported by Index-Structures (ELKI) - data mining software framework written in Java with a focus on clustering and outlier detection methods.
Enterprise search engines
ETLs (Extract Transform Load)
Networking and Internet
- RSS Bandit - Windows - .NET
- RSSOwl - Windows, Mac OS X, Solaris, Linux - Java SWT Eclipse
- Akregator - Platforms running KDE
- Sage (Mozilla Firefox extension)
- Liferea - Platforms running GNOME
- Bots — EDI software
- Asterisk — Telephony and VoIP server
- Ekiga — Video conferencing application for GNOME and Microsoft Windows
- FreePBX — Front-end and advanced PBX configuration for Asterisk
- FreeSWITCH — Open Source telephony platform
- Jitsi — Java VoIP and Instant Messaging client
- QuteCom — Free Voice, Video and IM client application
- sipX — SIP Communications Server
- Slrn — a newsreader
- Twinkle — VOIP softphone
Peer-to-peer file sharing
Remote access and management
- Apache Cocoon — a web application framework
- Apache — the most popular web server
- AWStats — a log file parser and analyzer
- BookmarkSync — a tool for browsers
- curl-loader - a powerful HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/FTPS loading and testing open-source tool
- HTTP File Server — a user friendly file server software with a drag and drop interface
- Distributed ICDL Crawler — an open source web crawler based on Website Parse Template
- Crawley Framework - a crawling / scraping framework written in python
- lighttpd — Resource sparing but also fast and full featured HTTP Server
- nginx — lightweight, high performance web server/reverse proxy and e-mail (IMAP/POP3) proxy
- NetKernel — an internet application server
- Piwik - an open source web analytics system
- Qcodo — an open source PHP5 framework
- Squid (software) — web proxy cache
- Web-Developer Server Suite — a package of web applications including Apache, MySQL, and PHP
- XAMPP — a package of web applications including Apache and MySQL
- Zope — a web application server
- Apache Axis2 - Web service framework (implementations are available in both Java & C)
- Apache Geronimo
- GlassFish Application Server
- JacORB — Java implementation of the OMG's CORBA standard
- Jakarta Tomcat — a servlet container and standalone webserver
- JBoss Application Server an application server
- ObjectWeb JOnAS — Java Open Application Server, a J2EE application server
- OpenSplice DDS — implementation of the OMG's Data Distribution Service for Real-time Systems (DDS) standard
- SmartVariables — a generic network-shared object application server
- TAO (software) — C++ implementation of the OMG's CORBA standard
Other networking programs
- OpenLDAP — an open source LDAP server
- JXplorer — an open source LDAP client
- openVXI — an open source VoiceXML interpreter
- YaCy — P2P-based search engine
- Gnaural — Brainwave entrainment software
- eFront - an icon-based learning management system
- IUP Portfolio
- Sakai Project - a web-based learning management system
- Chamilo - a web-based e-learning and content management system
- Tux Paint - a paint application for 3–12 year olds.
- openSIS - a web-based Student Information and School Management System system
- ATutor - a web-based Learning Content Management System (LCMS)
- ILIAS - a web-based learning management system (LMS)
Other educational programs
Bible study tools
- openlp.org — Worship presentation software for churches to display songs, bibles, movies etc.
- BibleDesktop — For Cross-platform
- BibleTime — For Linux using KDE
- Xiphos The_SWORD_Project — For Linux using GNOME
- Go Bible — For Java Mobile Phones
- jSword — For Java
- MacSword — For Mac OS X
- SwordBible — For Windows
- The SWORD Project for Windows — For Windows
- Marcion — For Linux and Windows, using Qt UI Framework and embedded MySql server
- Online Bible — For Windows and Mac OS X
Graphical user interface
Content management systems
Multimedia codecs / containers / splitters
Audio editors / audio management
- Pencil Animation (for animations)
- SWFTools (for scripting)
- CineFX formerly known as Jahshaka
- DVD Flick
- OpenShot Video Editor
Other media packages
Be advised that available distributions of these systems can contain, or offer to build and install, added software that is neither free software nor open source.
Personal information managers
- TeamLab - Open source platform for project management and collaboration
- Project.net — Commercial Open Source Project Management
- Chandler — developed by the OSAF.
- Mozilla Calendar — A Mozilla-based, multiplatform calendar program.
- Novell Evolution
- OpenSync (software)
- Rachota Timetracker — portable timetracking for projects. Open source. Windows, Linux, Solaris and Mac.
Programming language support
- Open Scene Graph — 3D graphics application programming interface
- OpenSCDP - Open Smart Card Development Platform
- CodeSynthesis XSD — XML Data Binding compiler for C++
- CodeSynthesis XSD/e — Validating XML parser/serializer and C++ XML Data Binding generator for mobile and embedded systems
- xmlbeansxx — XML Data Binding code generator for C++
- Flex lexical analyser
- SableCC — parser generator for Java and .Net
- SWIG — Simplified Wrapper and Interface Generator for several languages
Debuggers (for testing and trouble-shooting)
- Xnee — Record and replay tests
- Memtest86 — Stress-tests RAM on x86 machines
- JSystem - Test Automation Framework
- GNU Debugger - "works for many programming languages [...]"
Integrated development environments
Version control systems
Data loss prevention
- Coyote Linux
Network and security monitoring
Secure Shell (ssh)
- Lsh - server and client (supporting SRP and Kerberos authentication)
- OpenSSH — client/server
- PuTTY — client only
- Cyberduck — Mac OS X and Windows client (since version 4.0)
Other security programs
compilations of open-source software
- List of GNOME applications
- List of GNU packages
- List of KDE applications
- List of liberated software
- List of Unix programs
- General directories
- ^ Richard Stallman (July 13, 2011). "Why Open Source misses the point of Free Software". http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html. Retrieved August 24, 2011.
- Free Software Directory - The Free Software Directory of the Free Software Foundation.
- Open Source Software Directory - Provides a list of open source software organized by categories.
- Open Source Living - Open Source Living is a community-driven dynamic archive of Open Source software.
- Ohloh - Ohloh is an open source directory that anyone can edit.
Open source for Windows
- List Of Open-source Programs (LOOP list) for Windows
- TheOpenDisc.com pre-assembled disc of OSS for Windows (successor to TheOpenCD.org)
- The OSSwin project: Open Source for Windows!
- The OpenScience Project - Open Source software for science and mathematics
- FreeOpenSourceSoftware.org - Wiki on FOSS including sources, directories, system & application software indexes.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.