- Mama (Genesis song)
"Mama" Single by Genesis from the album Genesis B-side "It's Gonna Get Better" Released 22 August 1983  Format 7" vinyl, 12" vinyl Recorded The Farm, Surrey; 1983 Genre Progressive rock Length 6:48 (album version)
5:19 (single version)
Label Atlantic, Virgin, Vertigo Writer(s) Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford Producer Genesis, Hugh Padgham Genesis singles chronology "Paperlate"
Genesis track listing "Mama"
"Mama" was the first single from Genesis' 1983 self-titled album. It is recognizable for its harsh drum machine introduction composed by Mike Rutherford, which leads into minimalist synthesizer lines in minor keys and finally Phil Collins' reverb-laden voice. It remains the band's biggest commercial success in the UK, reaching No.4 on the UK Singles Chart. It also made the top 10 in Switzerland, Austria, Norway, Ireland and the Netherlands. It was less popular in the US, only reaching No.73 on the Billboard Hot 100.
A live drum kit, modified with the "gated reverb" effect, is used in the final verse.
The song resurfaced in 2007 as part of the Turn It On Again tour, albeit transposed down a tone to account for the deepening of Phil Collins' voice as he grew older.
The song's theme involves a young man's longing for a particular prostitute. On the DVD The Genesis Songbook, the band and producer Hugh Padgham revealed that the inspiration for Collins's laugh came from rap music pioneer Grandmaster Flash's song "The Message".
From 1983 Genesis "Three into One" Wavelength 3-LP vinyl radio show interview:
Our manager, when he first heard it, thought it was about abortion, the kind of feeling of the, you know, the foetus, if you like, saying to the Mother 'Please give me a chance, can't you feel my heart, don't take away my last chance', all those lyrics are in the song but in fact what it is, is just about a young teenager that's got a mother fixation with a prostitute that he's just happened to have met in passing and he has such a strong feeling for her and doesn't understand why she isn't interested in him. It's a bit like Niven in 'The Moon's a Balloon', I don't know if you've read that book, he's very young, just come out of cadet college or whatever, and he meets this quite, you know, 45 year old prostitute who he has a fantastic time with. He's special to her but it definitely can't go any further than what it is and that's really what the song is about, with sinister overtones.
The music video for the song essentially plays out the lyrics, showing Collins singing to a mysterious woman while Banks and Rutherford play in the background. One sequence involves Collins, cloaked in shadows and illuminated by a red light (at approximately 3 minutes 30 seconds into the video). When performed live, white lights were shone from underneath the stage to recreate this sequence.
Versions and live performances
There are at least four versions of the studio recording of "Mama": the original, full-length cut (7:28, released as a 12" single and later as a CD single, backed by the full-length 6:27 version of "It's Gonna Get Better", also from the Genesis album); a somewhat early-faded version (6:48, released on the Genesis album itself); an edited version (6:03, released as a 7" single and on the compilation album Turn It on Again - Best of '81-'83); and a heavily-edited version (5:18, released as a 7" and 12" single). A rehearsal take, dating from 1983 and referred to as a "work in progress", is included at the end of the third disc of Genesis Archive 2: 1976-1992. This demonstrated how Genesis would try out new songs; the band would play while Phil Collins would just sing anything that came to mind, normally without actual words.
A live version appears on their albums The Way We Walk, Volume One: The Shorts and Live Over Europe 2007, and their DVDs Genesis Live at Wembley Stadium and When in Rome 2007. The song also appears on the 1984 VHS release The Mama Tour.
Chart (1983/1984) Peak
UK Singles Chart 4 Austrian Singles Chart 10 Dutch Top 40 7 Irish Singles Chart 5 New Zealand Singles Chart 27 Norwegian Singles Chart 3 Swiss Singles Chart 2 US Billboard Hot 100 73 US Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks 5
"Mama" was covered by the band Magellan on the 1996 Genesis tribute album Supper's Ready. The song was also covered by the French extreme metal band Carnival in Coal and released on their album French Cancan (1999). Brazilian power metal band Angra covered the song on their EP Hunters and Prey (2002). "Mama" was covered by the Finnish heavy metal band Tarot as the second track on the single for "Undead Son", the only single release from their 2003 album Suffer Our Pleasures.
- Illusionist David Copperfield has used the song during one of his stage segments, the "Cocoon" illusion.
- The song was also featured in an episode Magnum, P.I. ("Death and Taxes" - Season 7), a popular US television series in the 1980s starring Tom Selleck. This particular episode involves a killer targeting prostitutes and communicating to Magnum clues about his next crimes by way of riddles.
- The gated-reverb drum intro line was used by South Indian music director Deva in 1995 for the Mani Ratnam produced Tamil movie Aasai for the song, sung by Unnikrishnan and K. S. Chithra. The Tamil song also sampled the keyboard from the original 7" version of the track from 2:26 til 2:36. The lack of copyright laws in South India enabled Deva to sample without the need to credit Genesis. The soundtrack was awarded the "Best Music" for 1995 by the Tamil Nadu state government beating out original compositions like Bombay from A.R. Rahman.
- The song is featured in the video game Grand Theft Auto IV on the radio station Liberty Rock Radio 97.8.
- ^ http://genesis.wikia.com/wiki/Genesis_Discography
- ^ a b "Chart Stats - Genesis - Mama". http://www.chartstats.com/songinfo.php?id=10953. Retrieved 1 February 2010.
- ^ a b c "Genesis > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p4352/charts-awards/billboard-singles. Retrieved 1 February 2010.
- ^ Mama Tour Songs & Dates
- ^ Invisible Tour Songs & Dates
- ^ The Way We Walk Tour Songs & Dates
- ^ Calling All Stations Tour Songs & Dates
- ^ Turn it on again Tour Songs & Dates
- ^ "Genesis - Mama - austriancharts.at (German)". http://austriancharts.at/showitem.asp?interpret=Genesis&titel=Mama&cat=s. Retrieved 1 February 2010.
- ^ "Nederlandse Top 40 - Week 40, 1983 (Dutch)". http://www.top40.nl/index.aspx?week=40&jaar=1983&maand=10. Retrieved 1 February 2010.
- ^ "irishcharts.ie search results". http://www.irishcharts.ie/search/placement. Retrieved 2 February 2010.
- ^ "charts.org.nz - Genesis - Mama". http://charts.org.nz/showitem.asp?interpret=Genesis&titel=Mama&cat=s. Retrieved 1 February 2010.
- ^ "norwegiancharts.com - Genesis - Mama". http://norwegiancharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Genesis&titel=Mama&cat=s. Retrieved 1 February 2010.
- ^ "Genesis - Mama - hitparade.ch (German)". http://hitparade.ch/showitem.asp?interpret=Genesis&titel=Mama&cat=s. Retrieved 1 February 2010.
GenesisTony Banks · Phil Collins · Mike Rutherford
Peter Gabriel · Anthony Phillips · Chris Stewart · John Silver · John Mayhew · Mick Barnard · Steve Hackett · Ray Wilson
Additional studio personnel: Nir Zidkyahu · Nick D'Virgilio
Touring musicians: Bill Bruford · Daryl Stuermer · Chester Thompson · Anthony Drennan
Studio albums Live albums Compilation albumsTurn It On Again: The Hits · Platinum Collection Singles and EPs"The Silent Sun" · "A Winter's Tale" · "Where the Sour Turns to Sweet" · "The Knife (Part 1)" · "Happy the Man" · "Watcher of the Skies" · "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" · "Counting Out Time" · "The Carpet Crawlers" · "Entangled" · "A Trick of the Tail" · "Your Own Special Way" · "Spot The Pigeon (EP)" · "Follow You Follow Me" · "Many Too Many" · "Go West Young Man (In The Motherlode)" · "Turn It On Again" · "Duchess" · "Misunderstanding" · "Abacab" · "No Reply at All" · "Keep It Dark" · "Man on the Corner" · "3X3 (EP)" · "Paperlate" · "Mama" · "That's All" · "Home by the Sea" · "Illegal Alien" · "Taking It All Too Hard" · "Invisible Touch" · "Throwing It All Away" · "Land of Confusion" · "In Too Deep" · "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" · "No Son of Mine" · "I Can't Dance" · "Hold on My Heart" · "Jesus He Knows Me" · "Never a Time" · "Invisible Touch (Live)" · "Tell Me Why" · "Congo" · "Shipwrecked" · "Not About Us" · "The Carpet Crawlers 1999" · "The Silent Sun 2006" Box sets Live videos ToursThe Early Gigs · Nursery Cryme Tour · Foxtrot Tour · Selling England by the Pound Tour · The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Tour · A Trick of the Tail Tour · Wind & Wuthering Tour · And Then There Were Three Tour · Duke Tour · Abacab Tour · Three Sides Live Encore Tour · Mama Tour · Invisible Touch Tour · We Can't Dance Tour · Calling All Stations Tour · Turn It On Again Tour Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Misunderstanding (Genesis song) — Misunderstanding Single by Genesis from the album Duke B side … Wikipedia
Domino (Genesis song) — Domino Song by Genesis from the album Invisible Touch Released 1986 Recorded The Farm, Surrey; 1985 – 1986 Genre Progressive rock … Wikipedia
That's All (Genesis song) — Single infobox | Name = That s All Artist = Genesis from Album = Genesis Released = November 1983 (USA)(UK) Format = 7 , 12 Recorded = 1982 1983 Genre = Pop rock Length = 4:23 Label = Atlantic, Virgin, Vertigo Producer = Genesis, Hugh Padgham… … Wikipedia
Tell Me Why (Genesis song) — Infobox Single Name = Tell Me Why Artist = Genesis Album = We Can t Dance Released = February 1993 B side = Live version of other songs Format = CD single 7 single Length = 4:58 Label = Virgin Writer = Tony Banks Phil Collins Mike Rutherford… … Wikipedia
Mama — Mama(s) or Mamma(s) may refer to: Mother, a female parent Mamma (anatomy) or breast, the upper ventral region of a mammal’s torso Contents 1 Music 1.1 Albums … Wikipedia
Mama (chanson) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Mama. Mama Single par Genesis extrait de l’album Genesis Face B It s Gonna Get Better Sortie … Wikipédia en Français
Genesis (Genesis album) — Infobox Album| Name = Genesis Type = Album Artist = Genesis Released = October 3, 1983 Recorded = February August 1983 at The Farm, Surrey Genre = Rock, pop rock, progressive rock Length = 45:59 Label = Atlantic, Vertigo, Virgin Producer =… … Wikipedia
Genesis (band) — Infobox musical artist Name = Genesis Img capt = Genesis performing live on their 2007 US tour in Pittsburgh. (Left to right: Daryl Stuermer (guitar), Mike Rutherford (guitar and bass guitar), Tony Banks (keyboards), Phil Collins (lead vocals and … Wikipedia
Mama Weer All Crazee Now — Spanish/European cover of Mama Weer All Crazee Now . Single by Slade fro … Wikipedia
Genesis — Schöpfungsgeschichte * * * Ge|ne|sis 〈f.; ; unz.〉 Schöpfungsgeschichte, Titel des 1. Buches Mose [grch., „Erzeuger, Ursprung“] * * * Gẹ|ne|sis [auch: ge:n…], die; ↑ [Genese]: 1. Schöpfungsgeschichte. 2. 1. Buch Mose. * * * I Genesis Von der… … Universal-Lexikon