- Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks
Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks is a ranking in Billboard magazine of the most-played songs on mainstream rock radio stations, a category that includes stations that play primarily rock music. Modern rock (i.e., "alternative") tracks are counted in the Alternative Songs chart.
This chart began with the March 21, 1981, issue of Billboard. It was originally titled Top Tracks and accompanied by a Rock Albums chart, which was discontinued in 1984 (a new chart with the same name was introduced in 2009). Before this, Billboard did not compile a chart specifically for rock songs. The closest thing to it was an Album Radio Action page which named some of the albums (but not songs) receiving airplay on album-oriented rock stations. The Top Tracks chart originally listed 60 songs. The first number-one song was "I Can't Stand It" by Eric Clapton. The chart changed its name to Top Rock Tracks in September 1984, then Album Rock Tracks in April 1986.
In order to give more recognition to modern rock radio stations, Billboard began a separate Modern Rock Tracks chart, beginning with the September 10, 1988, issue. Within two months of the first Modern Rock Tracks chart, the song "Desire" by U2 became the first song to reach number one on both rock tracks charts.
In 1996, Album Rock Tracks changed its name to Mainstream Rock Tracks. This occurred soon after Billboard established the Adult Top 40 chart. Like Hot Modern Rock Tracks, Adult Top 40 also had some songs in common with Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks. Ironically, Adult Top 40 has often featured artists who were once prominent on the Rock Tracks charts, but were now considered too "soft" for rock radio.
Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks was published in the print edition of Billboard for the last time in its July 26, 2003, issue. The chart is still compiled, but it is only available through the magazine's website. The chart could be accessed free until June 2009, when it became subscriber-only. At that time, a new chart named Rock Songs was introduced that combined the data from Mainstream Rock with that from Alternative and Triple A.
In recent years, there has been more crossover between the Mainstream and Modern Rock Tracks charts. For six and a half years, following "Jaded" by Aerosmith in 2001, every number one song on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart also appeared on the Modern Rock Tracks chart. This string was finally broken by Ozzy Osbourne's "I Don't Wanna Stop" in July 2007.
Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks has had 379 number-one hits. The current number-one song on for the week ending November 12, 2011, is "Not Again" by Staind.
Shown below are some songs which have spent ten or more weeks in the number-one spot. Most of these songs are from recent years, in part because the top spot experiences much less turnover since the advent of Nielsen Broadcast Data Systems in 1991.
- "So Far Away" by Staind (2003)
- "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day (2005)
- "Fake It" by Seether (2007-08)
- "Inside the Fire" by Disturbed (2008)
- "Start Me Up" by The Rolling Stones (1981)
- "How You Remind Me" by Nickelback (2001)
- "Figured You Out" by Nickelback (2004)
- "Pain" by Three Days Grace (2006-07)
- "Mysterious Ways" by U2 (1991-92)
- "Like a Stone" by Audioslave (2003)
- "Save Me" by Shinedown (2005-06)
- "Dani California" by Red Hot Chili Peppers (2006)
- "Remedy" by The Black Crowes (1992)
- "Turn the Page" by Metallica (1999)
- "Fall to Pieces" by Velvet Revolver (2004)
- "Break" by Three Days Grace (2009-10)
- "Lightning Crashes" by Live (1995)
- "The Down Town" by Days of the New (1998)
- "Scar Tissue" by Red Hot Chili Peppers (1999)
- "Blurry" by Puddle of Mudd (2002)
- "Second Chance" by Shinedown (2008-09)
- "Country Song" by Seether (2011)
- List of number-one mainstream rock hits (United States)
- List of artists who reached number one on the U.S. Mainstream Rock chart
Achievements and records
- Van Halen holds the record for the most tracks to hit number-one on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, with thirteen tracks. Tom Petty has the second most with ten tracks. Aerosmith has the third most with nine tracks.
- John Mellencamp holds the record for the most tracks by a solo artist to hit number-one on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, with seven tracks.
- Only twice have two consecutive number-one songs been by the same artist. In 1992, the Black Crowes hit number-one with "Remedy", followed by "Sting Me". In 1994, the Stone Temple Pilots' "Vasoline" hit number-one and was replaced by its album mate, "Interstate Love Song".
- Three songs have performed a "hat trick" by reaching number-one on Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks, Hot Modern Rock Tracks, and Adult Top 40. The first was "One Headlight" by The Wallflowers in 1997. The second was "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day in 2005. The third was "Second Chance" by Shinedown in 2009.
United States Billboard charts AlbumsDigital Albums • Billboard Comprehensive Albums (defunct)UrbanTop R&B/Hip-Hop Albums • Rap AlbumsRockRock Albums • Alternative Albums • Hard Rock Albums • Folk Albums •CountryCountry Albums • Bluegrass AlbumsJazzJazz Albums • Blues Albums • Classical AlbumsLatinLatin Albums, Regional Mexican Albums, Latin Pop Albums, Tropical AlbumsChristianChristian Albums • Gospel AlbumsOtherInternationalCanadian Albums • European Albums (defunct) • United Kingdom Albums • France Albums Singles and tracksPopAdultAdult Contemporary • Adult Top 40DanceUrbanRockLatinHot Latin Songs • Regional Mexican Airplay • Latin Pop Airplay • Tropical Airplay • Latin Rhythm AirplayChristianChristian Songs • Gospel SongsOtherInternational Lists of number-onesBillboard 200 • Dance/Electronic Albums • Country Albums • U.S. number-one singles • Hot 100 Airplay • Top 40 Mainstream • Hot Country Songs • Hot Dance Club Songs • Hot Dance Airplay • Hot Alternative Tracks • Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks • Adult Contemporary • Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs • Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums • K-Pop • Rhythmic Airplay • Year-end Top 100 Singles Lists of artists who
reached number one
See alsoHot 100 50th Anniversary Charts • Billboard Radio Monitor (defunct) • List of Billboard Hot 100 chart achievements and milestones • Hot Country Songs achievements • R&R (defunct) • Billboard Greece • Billboard Türkiye • Billboard Brasil • Billboard En Español • Billboard Social 50 • Uncharted
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks — Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks хит парад наиболее часто проигрываемых песен рок радиостанциями США. Публикуется американским журналом Billboard. Существувет также чарт Alternative Songs, в который попадают композиции альтернативного рока.… … Википедия
Hot Modern Rock Tracks — (originally called Modern Rock Tracks) is a music chart in the United States that has appeared in Billboard magazine since September 10, 1988. It lists the forty most played songs on modern rock radio, most of which are alternative rock songs.… … Wikipedia
Mainstream Rock Tracks — chart Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks (initialement appelé Mainstream Rock Tracks) est un classement de chansons jouées sur la radio Rock Mainstream. Cette station diffuse principalement de la musique rock, surtout du rock alternatif. Liste 21… … Wikipédia en Français
Mainstream Rock Tracks chart — Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks (initialement appelé Mainstream Rock Tracks) est un classement de chansons jouées sur la radio Rock Mainstream. Cette station diffuse principalement de la musique rock, surtout du rock alternatif. Liste 21 semaines… … Wikipédia en Français
Список хитов №1 в чарте Mainstream Rock Tracks — В данный список включены хиты, которые возглавляли американский чарт Mainstream Rock Tracks журнала Billboard. Впервые хит парад для этого жанра рок музыки журнал опубликовал 21 марта 1981 под названием Top Tracks на основе динамики наиболее… … Википедия
Список хитов № 1 в чарте Mainstream Rock Tracks — В данный список включены хиты, которые возглавляли американский чарт Mainstream Rock Tracks журнала Billboard. Впервые хит парад для этого жанра рок музыки журнал опубликовал 21 марта 1981 под названием Top Tracks на основе динамики наиболее… … Википедия
Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks — Американский хит парад Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks журнала Billboard. Составляется на основе наиболее проигрываемых по радио в США песен стиля Adult Contemporary (современный поп рок для взрослых). Основан в 1961 году. Содержание 1 История 1.1… … Википедия
Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks — The Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks chart (formerly known as Adult Contemporary Singles, Easy Listening, and only Adult Contemporary) lists the most popular songs weekly calculated by airplay and occasionally sales in the United States. Billboard… … Wikipedia
Mainstream rock — (sometimes called heritage rock) is a radio format used by many commercial radio stations in the United States and Canada. Contents 1 Format background 2 Rock Airplay chart 3 See also … Wikipedia
Mainstream Rock — Tracks chart Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks (initialement appelé Mainstream Rock Tracks) est un classement de chansons jouées sur la radio Rock Mainstream. Cette station diffuse principalement de la musique rock, surtout du rock alternatif. Liste 21… … Wikipédia en Français