- Chris Brown (album)
Chris Brown Studio album by Chris Brown Released November 29, 2005 Recorded 2004–2005 Genre R&B, Pop, hip-hop Length 55:44 Label Jive, Zomba
Sony BMG (International distribution)
Producer Chris Brown, Tina Davis, Mark Pitts (co-exec.)
Scott Storch, Jermaine Dupri, Bryan-Michael Cox, Kendrick Dean, The Underdogs, Dre & Vidal, his number one fan is jiaaira , Shea Taylor, Tyler Matthews, Cool & Dre, Sean Garrett, Nick Pope, Hunter Atkins, Dabling Harward, Shannon "Slam" Lawrence, Moe Faisal Oak, Eddie Hustle, Carlos Paucar, LRoc)
Chris Brown chronology Chris Brown
Alternative coverInternational cover Singles from Chris Brown
Chris Brown is the eponymous debut album by American R&B singer Chris Brown, released on November 29, 2005 in the United States on Jive Records. It was a commercial success, certified double Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for scanning two million in the United States, and sold over three million copies worldwide.
In 2006 a CD/DVD set entitled Chris Brown's Journey was released, featuring behind-the-scenes footage and commentary from Brown. Chris Brown was also released twice in DualDisc format.
Chris Brown, born in small-town Tappahannock, Virginia, started as a rapper. He switched over to singing in his preteen years when his mother Joyce Hawkins noticed his talent and soon begun looking for local producers. At age 13 in 2002, Brown was discovered in his birth father's gas station by a production team who were looking for local talent.His father later got married to Olivia Angall. They have three children together. They were connected with Timmy Allen, a music producer for Jive Records who lived in the Harlem neighborhood in New York City, New York. Brown moved in, only returning to Virginia for holidays, school and basketball season. He bonded with Allen's son, T.J., an aspiring rapper who went under the name "T-Breezy", as Allen begun to shop both of their demo CDs around to music labels.
By August 2004, Brown, who had adapted the stage name "C Sizzle", and T.J. attracted the attention of Tina Davis, Def Jam Recordings' senior A&R executive, and auditioned them in front of Island Def Jam Music Group CEO Antonio "L. A." Reid. Afterwards, Reid offered to sign both of them on the spot but Brown claimed Allen had become "greedy" during the prolonged negotiations that spanned two months. Davis advised Brown not to sign the deal. Davis later lost her job due to restructuring after Island Def Jam and Roc-A-Fella Records merged. That same day, Brown hired her as his manager and moved in into her New Jersey home. After weeks of label searching, Brown had a deal with Jive Records, known for their pop and R&B artists such as Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake and R. Kelly, by Christmas Eve 2004. He also dropped out of the 10th grade at Essex High School in Virginia in favor of tutoring. Brown recorded the album in Miami with Mark Pitts, the Jive A&R who signed Brown to the label. They recorded up to 50 songs.
The album's lead single was "Run It!", which features rapper Juelz Santana and was produced by Scott Storch and Moe Faisal. It received continuous airplay(topping the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay), and reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100, where it stayed for five weeks. It replaced "Gold Digger" by Kanye West featuring Jamie Foxx, and was replaced by Mariah Carey's "Don't Forget About Us". It also topped Billboard Pop 100. Other singles released from the album include "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)", another U.S. top ten hit for Brown, as well as "Gimme That", released as a remix featuring rapper Lil Wayne, and the fourth single, "Say Goodbye", which peaked at number ten in the U.S. The fifth and final single from the album, "Poppin'", charted outside the U.S. top forty.
The album debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 154,000 copies. It was certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). As of April 2011, the album has sold 2.1 million copes in the United States alone. Worldwide, it has sold more than three million copies.
Standard edition No. Title Writer(s) Producer(s) Length 1. "Intro" Christopher Brown, Edmund Clement Eddie Hustle 0:56 2. "Run It!" (featuring Juelz Santana) Scott Storch, Sean Garrett Scott Storch 3:49 3. "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)" Johntá Austin, Andrew Harris, Vidal Davis Dre & Vidal 3:49 4. "Young Love" Vinnie Barrett, Antonio Dixon, Bobby Eli, Keri Hilson, Harvey Mason Jr., J. Que, Damon Thomas The Underdogs 3:38 5. "Gimme That" Storch, Garrett Scott Storch 3:06 6. "Ya Man Ain't Me" Erik Dawkins, Dixon, Thomas, Mason, Steve Russell, Durrell Babbs The Underdogs 3:34 7. "Winner" Brown, Bryan-Michael Cox, Kendrick Dean, Adonis Shropshire Bryan-Michael Cox, WyldCard (co.) 4:04 8. "Ain't No Way (You Won't Love Me)" Garrett, Warren Felder, Zhang Fu-Quan Sean Garrett, Oak (co.) 3:23 9. "What's My Name" (featuring Noah) Brown, Andre Lyon, Marcello Valenzano, Stephens Noah Cool & Dre 3:52 10. "Is This Love?" Dawkins, Dixon, Mason, Russell, Thomas The Underdogs 3:17 11. "Poppin'" Austin, Harris, Davis Dre & Vidal 4:25 12. "Just Fine" Brown, Daniel Glass, Bennett, Michael Winans, Peter Zora, Shannon Lawrence Lance Bennett, Michael Winans, Slam 3:52 13. "Say Goodbye" Cox, Dean, Shropshire Bryan-Michael Cox, WyldCard (co.) 4:49 14. "Run It!" (Remix) (featuring Bow Wow and Jermaine Dupri) Jermaine Dupri, Garrett, Shad Moss, Storch Jermaine Dupri, LRoc (co.) 4:04
- (co.) signifies a co-producer.
- Samples credits
- "Run It!" – "I Know What Boys Like" by Christopher Butler
- "Young Love" – "Sideshow" by Blue Magic
- "Ain't No Way (You Won't Love Me)" – "Song of the Dragon & Phoenix" by Zhang Fuquan
- "Run It! (Remix)" – "Jam Master Jay" by Run-DMC
- "So Glad" – "It's Great To Be Here" by the Jackson 5
Through the winter, Brown joined the Scream V Encore Tour, featuring Ciara, Bow Wow, Omarion and Marques Houston, as a supporting act. Later, he headlined the Xbox 360 Presents: Chris Brown Tour, supported by T-Pain.
Chart (2005) Peak
Australian ARIA Album Charts 57 Austrian Albums Chart 66 Belgium Albums Chart (Flanders) 47 Dutch Albums Chart 47 European Top 100 Albums 42 French SNEP Albums Chart 51 German Albums Chart 31 Irish Albums Chart 71 New Zealand RIANZ Albums Chart 8 Swiss Albums Chart 18 UK Albums Chart 29 U.S. Billboard 200 2 U.S. Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums 1
- Executive producers: Chris Brown, Tina Davis, Mark Pitts
- Art Direction: Courtney Walter
- A&R: Leticia Hilliard, Matt Schwartz
- Assistant Engineers: Val Brathwrite, Vadim Chislov, Anthony G. Crisano, Patrick Magee, Lucas McClelland, Tadd Mingo, Aaron Renner
- Bass: David Cabrerra
- Design: Courtney Walter
- Engineers: Wayne Allison, Vincent Dilorenzo, Conrad Golding, John Horesco IV, Eddie Hustle, Charles McCrorey, Oak, Keith Sengbusch, Sam Thomas
- Guitar: Val Brathwrite, Aaron Fishbein
- Keyboards: Kendrick Dean
- Mastering: Herb Powers
- Mixing: Kevin "KD" Davis, Vincent Dilorenzo, Jermaine Dupri, Jean-Marie Horvat, Eddie Hustle, Rich Keller, Phil Tan, The Underdogs
- Mixing Assistant: Val Brathwrite, Steve Tolle, Mike Tschupp
- Multi Instruments: Bryan-Michael Cox, Vidal Davis, Kendrick Dean, Andre Harris
- Photography: Clay Patrick McBridge
- Remix Producer: Jermaine Dupri, L-Rock
- Vocals (background): Steve Russell
- Vocal Producer: Lamont "LA" Flemming, Shannon "Slam" Lawrence
- Vocal Recording: Charles McCrorey
- Vocal Tracking: Ian Crosse
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic 2005 This table needs to be expanded using prose. See the guideline for more information.
- ^ a b Grein, Paul (March 23, 2011). "Week Ending March 20, 2011: Songs: The Chris Brown Matter". Yahoo! Music. http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/74345/week-ending-march-20-2011-songs-the-chris-brown-matter/. Retrieved April 19, 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f "Is Chris Brown Violent?" (Online). Giant. 2006-03-02. http://giantmag.com/articles/chris-brown-most-likely-to-succeed/. Retrieved 2009-08-07.
- ^ Robertson, Alex. "Chris Brown interview". Virgin Media. http://www.virginmedia.com/music/interviews/chrisbrown.php. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- ^ a b Eggar, Edgar (2006-02-12). "The new Michael Jackson". The Times (London: Times Online). http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article728620.ece. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- ^ a b c Hildebrand, Lee (2006-10-01). "Brown runs with it". Hearst Corporation (San Francisco Chronicle). http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/01/PKG5ULA4C41.DTL&type=music. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- ^ MacDonald, Patrick (2006-03-24). "Chris Brown, triple threat: singer, dancer, songwriter". The Seattle Times. The Seattle Times Company. http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20060324&slug=cbrown24. Retrieved 2009-08-07.
- ^ Grein, Paul (March 30, 2011). "Week Ending March 27, 2011: Albums: Chris Brown's Recovery - Chart Watch". Yahoo! Music. http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/74346/week-ending-march-27-2011-albums-chris-browns-recovery/;_ylt=Ak3Hy5O1j1eETJ7pnwB2fWkPwiUv. Retrieved April 19, 2011.
- ^ "RIAA - Gold & Platinum". RIAA. http://riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?resultpage=1&table=SEARCH_RESULTS&artist=chris%20brown&format=ALBUM&startYear=1958&endYear=2009&sort=Artist&perPage=25. Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- ^ http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/23790/20060410-0000/issue833.pdf
- ^ a b c d e f g h i "Chris Brown - Chris Brown - Music Charts". aCharts. http://acharts.us/album/14236. Retrieved 2007-12-21.
- ^ "European Top 100 Albums - Chris Brown - Chris Brown". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/esearch/chart_display.jsp?cfi=293&cfgn=Albums&cfn=European+Top+100+Albums&ci=3064758&cdi=8560266&cid=03%2F11%2F2006. Retrieved 2009-01-20. [dead link]
- ^ a b "Artist Chart History - Chris Brown - Albums". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/retrieve_chart_history.do?model.chartFormatGroupName=Albums&model.vnuArtistId=679240&model.vnuAlbumId=986558. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
Chris BrownDiscography · Awards and nominations Studio albums MixtapesIn My Zone (Rhythm & Streets) · Fan of a Fan · In My Zone 2 · Boy in Detention DVDs Singles"Run It!" · "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)" · "Gimme That" · "Say Goodbye" · "Poppin'" · "Wall to Wall" · "Kiss Kiss" · "With You" · "Take You Down" · "Forever" · "Superhuman" · "I Can Transform Ya" · "Crawl" · "Deuces" · "Yeah 3x" · "No Bullshit" · "Look at Me Now" · "Beautiful People" · "She Ain't You" · "Next 2 You" · "Wet the Bed" · "Strip" Featured singles"Shortie Like Mine" · "No Air" · "Shawty Get Loose" · "Get Like Me" · "What Them Girls Like" · "Make the World Go Round" · "Freeze" · "Work That!" · "Better on the Other Side" · "Drop It Low" · "Back to the Crib" · "Make a Movie" · "Get Back Up" · "Ain't Thinkin' 'Bout You" · "Champion" · "My Last" · "One Night Stand" · "Best Love Song" · "Pot of Gold" · "Body 2 Body" · "Better with the Lights Off" · "Another Round" · "International Love" Other songs"This Christmas" · "Dreamer" · "Sing Like Me" Filmography Concert tours Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chris Brown (album) — Chris Brown est le premier album du chanteur de pop/R B Chris Brown Chris Brown Album par Chris Brown Sortie 2005 Enregistrement 2005 Genre Pop, R B, hip h … Wikipédia en Français
Chris Brown (álbum) — Chris Brown 200px Álbum de estudio de Chris Brown Publicación 29 de noviembre de 2005 … Wikipedia Español
Graffiti (Chris Brown album) — Graffiti Studio album by Chris Brown Released December 8, 2009 ( … Wikipedia
Chris Brown discography — Chris Brown discography Brown performing in 2008 Releases ↙Studio albums … Wikipedia
Chris Brown (альбом) — Chris Brown Студийный альбом Криса Брауна Дата выпуска 29 ноября 2005 Записан 2004 2005 Жанр R B, поп музыка, хип хоп Длительность … Википедия
Chris Brown — Contents 1 Music 2 Sports … Wikipedia
Chris Brown (cantante) — Chris Brown Chris Brown en Brisbane Entertainment Centre Datos generales Nombre … Wikipedia Español
Chris Brown (Musiker) — Chris Brown Chris Brown (* 5. Mai 1989 in Tappahannock, Virginia; eigentlich Christopher Maurice Brown) ist ein US amerikanischer Hip Hop und R B Sänger. Er war im Jahre 2007 für einen Grammy in der Hauptkategorie Best New Artist und 2008 für die … Deutsch Wikipedia
Chris Brown (Sänger) — Chris Brown Chris Brown (* 5. Mai 1989 in Tappahannock, Virginia; eigentlich Christopher Maurice Brown) ist ein US amerikanischer Hip Hop und R B Sänger. Er war im Jahre 2007 für einen Grammy in der Hauptkategorie „Best New Artist“ und 2008 für… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Chris Brown's Journey — Video by Chris Brown Released May 30, 2006 Genre R B, Hip Hop Label Jive … Wikipedia