- Paint Shop Pro
Paint Shop Pro
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 in Windows Vista
Developer(s) Corel Stable release X4 / September 7, 2011 Operating system Microsoft Windows Type Raster graphics editor / Vector graphics editor License Proprietary EULA Website www.corel.com
Paint Shop Pro (PSP) is a raster graphics editor and, later in the series, a vector graphics editor for computers running the Microsoft Windows operating system that was originally published by Minneapolis-based Jasc Software. In October 2004, Corel Corporation purchased Jasc Software and the distribution rights to Paint Shop Pro. PSP functionality can be extended by Photoshop-compatible plugins.
Originally called simply Paint Shop, the first version, 1.0, was a basic picture converter between BMP, GIF and PCX formats, released in August 1990. Paint Shop was originally distributed as shareware and is still available at many download sites (4.12 being a popular version). Newer versions are only commercially available.
Version and event history
Italicized entries indicate the closest date available. In these cases, the date is that of the earliest file date available on JASC or Corel's FTP site. It can be assumed that the official release fell on or before that date. For non-italicized entries, the dates are taken from official press releases or notifications posted on JASC's web site.
- 1990 — 0.9 beta - (based on personal use)
- 1992 — 1.0 - based on screenshot
- 1992 - 1.02a
- 1993 August - 2.00
- Version 2 introduced the floating toolbar.
- 1993 August - 3.0
- 1995 August - 3.11
- 1996 January — 3.12
- 1996 July — 4.00
- This was the first 32-bit release (for Windows 95 and NT 4.0).
- 1996 September — 4.10
- 1997 January — 4.12
- 1997 October — 4.14
- 1998 April — 4.15
- 1999 April — 4.15 SE
- Special edition for PC Advisor Magazine free cover disk "Licensed version- do not distribute". Also included on the installation CDs of some peripheral hardware.
- 1998 April — 5.00
- This release introduced major user interface changes, including support for layers.
- 1998 June — 5.01
- 1999 May — 5.03
- 1999 September — 6.00
- This release introduced support for vector graphics.
- 1999 December — 6.01
- 2000 February — 6.02
- 2000 September — 7.00
- 2001 February — 7.01
- 2001 March — 7.02
- 2001 August — 7.04
- This coincided with the release of the "Anniversary Edition" of Paint Shop Pro 7. Presumably, this means the first release of Paint Shop Pro was on August 22, 1991.
- 2002 June — 7.05
- It's not clear whether or not this was an official release. Several downloads with this version number were available, but all web site content refers to 7.04 as the last update.
- 2003 April — 8.00
- New UI, ability to control most elements of PSP via Python scripts or macros. New filters, One Step Photo Fix, Learning Center. New brush engine.
- 2003 June — 8.01
- 2003 October — 8.10
- The last version to support Windows 95
- 2004 August — 9.00
- History Palette, natural media brushes, limited Camera RAW support, Fill Flash and Backlight filters.
- 2004 September — 9.01
- 2004 October
- JASC Software is officially acquired by Corel.
- 2005 September — 10.00
- Fully rebranded as "Corel Paint Shop Pro X"
- Revamped Learning Center that helps new users to get started, Makeover Tools (Blemish Remover, Toothbrush/whitener, and Suntan Brush), IR film simulator, and a Black and White film converter that includes color filter effects, partial 48-bit (16bits per channel) color support. Image browser palette, Smart Photo Fix, Object Remover.
- The last release was 10.10 and the last patch was 10.03 
- 2006 September — 11.00
- Fully rebranded as "Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI"
- 2006 December — 11.11
- Bug fixes, including improvements in the appearance of Camera Raw images (and support for two new camera models) plus a performance increase of the organizer, new 'One-step photo fixes'.
- 2007 February — 11.20
- The last version to support Windows 2000
- 2007 September — 12.00
- Comes with the "Graphite" workspace theme. Layer styles have been added, although these have been criticised by people as too basic.
- 2007 October — 12.01
- 2008 September — 12.50 
- Rebranded as "Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate Edition".
- This version included some stability and bug fixes
- Adds Creative Content Pack, Background Remover, and Full Certification for Windows Vista.
- 2010 January 25 — 13.00 (X3) 
- Rebranded as "PaintShop Photo Pro X3".
- Adds Windows 7 support, New Organizer, Multi-photo Adjustments, Smart Carver(TM), Express Lab, Camera RAW Lab (Supporting more than 350 RAW formats), Object Extractor, Project Creator, improved Text tool, import and export HD video.
- 2011 September 7 - 14.00 (X4) 
- Rebranded as "PaintShop Pro X4"
- Streamlined user-interface with workspaces, Photo Blend for combining multimple photos, optimized HDR workflow
- Optimized performance: Up to two times faster than X3, Ultimate version with Nik Color Effects included
Picture tubes are graphic images with no background. They are often used as a starting point for complex images; that is, they are combined with other image elements to produce a final work. Tubes can also be regarded as graphic brushes based on a pre-created image; this was their original use. Instead of leaving a trace of color on the canvas, they would leave a trail of images. Popular tube subjects include alphabets, human (also known as dollz), animal and toy figures, flowers, love messages and seasonal symbols.
The tube system originated with PSP Pro version 5. Native tube files may be in .tub, .psp, .pspimage, and .psptube formats. XnView, IrfanView, and TubeEx are separate graphics programs that can open tube files (.tub) and save them as .png files for use in other programs.
License Management Software
Versions XI, X2, X3 and X4 install a third party program named PSIService.exe, a Windows service called ProtexisLicensing. Written by Protexis, this runs in the background and collects licensing information. This program communicates with a remote host. Manually disabling the Protexis Licensing service may cause Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo to cease functioning.
There have been criticisms of Corel's pricing policy that pitches international versions at higher prices than those charged in the US. An easy work-around for international customers is to purchase their software from Corel's online store. While on the site, changing your regional preference to United States changes the pricing to those charged in the US. Some software can be acquired almost 50% cheaper this way. As of September 7th, 2011, Suggested Retail Prices of PaintShop Pro X4 on Corel eStores are respectively $79.99, €69.99 and ₤59.99.
- ^ "See "Paint Shop v1.0 - for Windows 3.0"". Cd.textfiles.com. http://cd.textfiles.com/nightowl/pdsi005/012B/. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- ^ "Corel to close Eden Prairie office". Startribune.com. 2007-11-29. http://www.startribune.com/business/11902066.html. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- ^ "Corel Acquires Jasc Software". Graphicssoft.about.com. 2004-10-14. http://graphicssoft.about.com/b/2004/10/14/corel-acquires-jasc-software.htm. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- ^ "Patches and Updates - Patches and Updates". Corel.com. http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=CorelCom%2FLayout&cid=1153321224268&c=Content_C1&lc=en&pid=1152796551300. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- ^ "Corel Introduces Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate Edition". Corel.com. 2008-09-09. http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Content/1153321430604?pressId=1220643748755. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- ^ "Photo editing software – Corel PaintShop Pro X4". Corel.com. http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1184951547051#tabview=tab0. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- ^ "Corel: PaintShop Pro X4 vorgestellt - NETZWELT" (in German). Netzwelt.de. 1999-02-22. http://www.netzwelt.de/news/88312-corel-paintshop-pro-x4-vorgestellt.html. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- ^ Michael Bednarek (2011-08-27). "Discussion of introduction of tubes to JASC Paint Shop Pro 5". Irt.org. http://www.irt.org/software/sw003/index.htm. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- ^ "Discussion of Paint Shop Pro Picture Tubes, tutorials and tips". Graphicssoft.about.com. 2011-08-30. http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/paintshoptutorialstubes/Paint_Shop_Pro_Picture_Tubes_Tutorials_and_Tips.htm. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- ^ Burley, Ian (2007-09-22). "Features - Critical Focus: Software pricing - it's an international rip-off - Digital Photography Now". Dpnow.com. http://dpnow.com/4320.html. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
Raster graphics editors Open source Proprietary Commercial FreewareCategory • Comparison Graphics file formats Raster
- ICO / CUR
- JPEG 2000
- JPEG XR
- PSD / PSB
- Logluv TIFF)
Raw Vector Compound Related
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Paint Shop Pro — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Paint Shop Pro Desarrollador Corel www.corel.com … Wikipedia Español
Paint Shop Pro — Corel Paint Shop Pro Entwickler: Corel Aktuelle Version: X2 / Ultimate (12.0) (September 2007 / September 2008) Betriebssystem: Windows Kategorie … Deutsch Wikipedia
Paint Shop Pro — Corel Paint Shop Pro Pour les articles homonymes, voir PSP. Corel Paint Shop Pro … Wikipédia en Français
Paint Shop Pro — … Википедия
Paint Shop Pro — (Computers) program for creating and editing graphic files (produced by JASC Software, Inc.), PSP … English contemporary dictionary
Corel Paint Shop Pro — Paint Shop Pro Тип Растровый графический редактор/Векторный графический редактор Разработчик Corel Операционная система Microsoft Windows Последняя версия X4 (14) (7 сентября 2011) … Википедия
Corel Paint Shop Pro — Infobox Software name = Paint Shop Pro caption = Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 in Windows Vista developer = Corel latest release version = 12 latest release date = release date and age|2007|09|05 operating system = Microsoft Windows genre =… … Wikipedia
Corel Paint Shop Pro — Entwickler: Corel Aktuelle Version: X2 / Ultimate (12.0) (September 2007 / September 2008) Betriebssystem: Windows Kategorie … Deutsch Wikipedia
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo — Corel Paint Shop Pro Entwickler: Corel Aktuelle Version: X2 / Ultimate (12.0) (September 2007 / September 2008) Betriebssystem: Windows Kategorie … Deutsch Wikipedia
Jasc Paint Shop Pro — Corel Paint Shop Pro Entwickler: Corel Aktuelle Version: X2 / Ultimate (12.0) (September 2007 / September 2008) Betriebssystem: Windows Kategorie … Deutsch Wikipedia