- New York State Route 303
Map of downstate New York with NY 303 highlighted in red
Route information Maintained by NYSDOT Length: 10.92 mi (17.57 km) Existed: 1930 – present Major junctions South end: CR 505 at Orangetown Palisades Parkway in Orangetown
I-87 / I-287 / Thruway near Nyack
North end: US 9W in Clarkstown Location Counties: Rockland Highway system ← NY 302 NY 304 →
New York State Route 303 (NY 303) is a north–south state highway in eastern Rockland County, New York, in the United States. It begins at the New Jersey state line in the hamlet of Tappan and ends 10.92 miles (17.57 km) later at an intersection with U.S. Route 9W (US 9W) in Clarkstown. NY 303 intersects the Palisades Interstate Parkway and the New York State Thruway, the latter carrying Interstate 87 (I-87) and I-287.
NY 303 begins at the New Jersey –New York border in Tappan, a hamlet in the town of Orangetown. Directly south of the border is Bergen County, New Jersey, in which NY 303 continues as County Route 505 (CR 505). NY 303 begins as a four-lane route with mostly full access, and it retains this status until Valley Cottage. As it progresses northward, it intersects the Palisades Interstate Parkway (PIP) at exit 5 in Tappan. The interchange is the southernmost New York exit along the PIP. Right after the PIP junction, NY 303 enters Orangeburg, where it intersects the signed northern terminus of NY 340. NY 303 also intersects CR 20 at this location. At these intersections, NY 303 connects to St. Thomas Aquinas College and Dominican College by way of NY 340 and CR 20, respectively.
The route continues northward into Blauvelt, where it runs along the western border of Clausland Mountain County Park, Blauvelt State Park, and other town parks. While in Blauvelt, NY 303 briefly overlaps with CR 11, a mostly parallel county route that veers west to avoid the state park. Past CR 11, NY 303 proceeds north into the town of Clarkstown and the hamlet of Central Nyack, home to NY 303's interchange with NY 59. After the interchange, NY 303 passes Palisades Center and intersects the New York State Thruway (I-87 and I-287) at exit 12.
Just after Palisades Center, NY 303 briefly turns from a four-lane road to a four-lane divided highway in Valley Cottage. This is short-lived, however, as NY 303 reverts to a two-lane undivided route at an intersection with Storms Road. Farther north, NY 303 enters the vicinity of Congers, passing east of Congers Lake prior to intersecting CR 80. Past this point, NY 303 proceeds toward its northern terminus at US 9W. NY 303 ends in northern Clarkstown, less than 1 mile (1.6 km) from the Haverstraw town line and NY 304's northern terminus. The intersection between NY 303 and US 9W is roughly 0.7 miles (1.1 km) south of where US 9W connects to NY 304.
NY 303 was assigned as part of the 1930 renumbering of state highways in New York. The route initially followed its current alignment from the New Jersey state line north to Orangeburg, where it continued northward on Greenbush Road to its end in Central Nyack. North of this point, NY 303 followed Kings Highway and Old Haverstraw Road to US 9W near Congers. It was moved onto its current alignment south of Central Nyack by 1932 and shifted onto its modern routing north of Central Nyack ca. 1936.
The interchange with the New York State Thruway was redesigned to accommodate the addition of Palisades Center. The mall was built where the formerly proposed interchange with the New Jersey Turnpike's Northern Extension was originally supposed to terminate.
The northern terminus at US 9W was previously a "Y" interchange with only a northbound ramp to Route 9W and a southbound ramp from 9W. This interchange was torn down in the late 1980s.
The entire route is in Rockland County.
Location Mile Destinations Notes Orangetown 0.00 CR 505 Hamlet of Tappan; continuation into New Jersey 1.40 Palisades Parkway Exit 5 (Palisades Parkway) 2.04 NY 340 Signed northern terminus of NY 340 2.16 CR 20 (Orangeburg Road) Hamlet of Orangeburg CR 28 (Spruce Street) CR 11 (Greenbush Road) NY 303 overlaps CR 11 for 0.2 miles (0.3 km) Clarkstown 5.50 NY 59 Hamlet of Central Nyack; interchange 5.92 I-87 / I-287 / Thruway Exit 12 (I-87 / I-287 / Thruway) 9.50 CR 80 (Lake Road East) Hamlet of Congers 10.92 US 9W 1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- ^ a b Automobile Legal Association (ALA) Automobile Green Book, 1930–31 and 1931–32 editions, (Scarborough Motor Guide Co., Boston, 1930 and 1931). The 1930–31 edition shows New York state routes prior to the 1930 renumbering
- ^ a b "2008 Traffic Volume Report for New York State" (PDF). New York State Department of Transportation. June 16, 2009. p. 210. https://www.nysdot.gov/divisions/engineering/technical-services/hds-respository/NYSDOT%20TVR%202008%20by%20Route.pdf. Retrieved February 1, 2010.
- ^ a b c Google, Inc. Google Maps – overview map of NY 303 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=3080504050053218036,41.016360,-73.945190%3B2714128477738534617,41.168566,-73.938900&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=RT-303+%4041.016360,+-73.945190&daddr=41.168616,-73.938914&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=19&sll=41.168834,-73.939383&sspn=0.00088,0.001824&ie=UTF8&ll=41.105743,-73.966141&spn=0.22558,0.466919&z=11&om=1. Retrieved September 8, 2007.
- ^ Texas Oil Company (1932). Texaco Road Map – New York (Map). Cartography by Rand McNally and Company.
- ^ Sun Oil Company (1935). Road Map & Historical Guide – New York (Map). Cartography by Rand McNally and Company.
- ^ Shell Oil Company (1936). Road Map – Metropolitan New York and Long Island (Map). Cartography by H.M. Gousha Company.
- ^ Geographia's Rockland County Street Map (1980) vs. Current interchange
- ^ New Jersey Tunrpike (NYCRoads.com)
- ^ Geographia's Rockland County Street Map (1980)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
New York State Route 340 — NYS Route 340 Map of southeastern Rockland County and vicinity with NY 340 highlighted in red … Wikipedia
New York State Route 59 — NYS Route 59 Korean War Veterans Memorial Highway Map of Rockland County with NY 59 highlighted in red … Wikipedia
New York State Route 100C — NYS Route 100C Route information Auxiliary route of NY 100 Maintained by NYSDOT Leng … Wikipedia
New York State Route 304 — NYS Route 304 Map of the Lower Hudson Valley with NY 304 highlighted in red Route infor … Wikipedia
New York State Route 17 — NY 17 redirects here. NY 17 may also refer to New York s 17th congressional district. NYS Route 17 Map of New York with NY 17 highlighted in red … Wikipedia
New York State Route 383 — This article is about the current alignment of NY 383. For previous alignments of NY 383, see New York State Route 383 (disambiguation). NYS Route 383 Map of the … Wikipedia
New York State Route 47 — This article is about the most recent alignment of NY 47, removed in 1980. For previous alignments of NY 47, see New York State Route 47 (disambiguation). NYS Route 47 Rochester Outer Loop … Wikipedia
New York State Route 157 — NYS Route 157 Route information Maintained by NYSDOT Length: 9.24 mi[ … Wikipedia
New York State Route 747 — NYS Route 747 Map of the Newburgh area with NY 747 highlighted in red Route information … Wikipedia
New York State Route 302 — NYS Route 302 Route information Maintained by NYSDOT Length: 10.46 mi[ … Wikipedia