- List of cities in Luxembourg
There are twelve cities in Luxembourg, as defined by statute. Despite the status as cities, they are not coherent urbanised areas. They are similar to communes, but are elevated to a different legal status. There is a technical difference between the statuses of commune and cities, but this is limited in practicality. One difference is that échevins in cities are formally appointed by the Grand Duke, whereas échevins for other communes are appointed by the Minister for the Interior.
Historically, this status was derived from a city's possession of a city charter, but city rights are now granted and regulated by statute. In the modern era, the status was first conferred on 24 February 1843, when seven of the eight cities that had previously been granted charters were reinstated as cities (Clervaux was not). They were (in the order given in the law): Luxembourg City, Diekirch, Grevenmacher, Echternach, Wiltz, Vianden, and Remich.
For over sixty years, no more cities were added, but the vast demographic shift during the last part of the nineteenth century made it impossible to leave the arrangements unchanged. Thus, on 29 May 1906, Esch-sur-Alzette was promoted; Esch was followed by Differdange, Dudelange, Ettelbruck, and Rumelange on 4 August 1907. An area of the (now extinct) commune of Hollerich was conferred the title on 7 April 1914, under the title of 'Hollerich-Bonnevoie'; this status was lost when Hollerich was merged into Luxembourg City on 26 March 1920.
The last such statute affecting city status in Luxembourg was the Loi communale du 13 décembre 1988. In the order outlined in that legislation (i.e. alphabetical, except with Luxembourg City first), the twelve communes with city status are: Luxembourg City, Diekirch, Differdange, Dudelange, Echternach, Esch-sur-Alzette, Ettelbruck, Grevenmacher, Remich, Rumelange, Vianden, and Wiltz.
List of cities
Coat of arms Name Canton District Area
(As of 2005[update])
Date of law Diekirch
Diekirch Diekirch 12.42 6,165 24 February 1843 Differdange
Esch-sur-Alzette Luxembourg 22.18 19,005 4 August 1907 Dudelange
Esch-sur-Alzette Luxembourg 21.38 17,618 4 August 1907 Echternach
Echternach Grevenmacher 20.49 4,507 24 February 1843 Esch-sur-Alzette
Esch-sur-Alzette Luxembourg 14.35 28,000 29 May 1906 Ettelbruck
Diekirch Diekirch 15.18 7,364 4 August 1907 Grevenmacher
Grevenmacher Grevenmacher 16.48 3,966 24 February 1843 Luxembourg City
Luxembourg Luxembourg 51.46 76,420 24 February 1843 Remich
Remich Grevenmacher 5.29 2,986 24 February 1843 Rumelange
Esch-sur-Alzette Luxembourg 6.83 4,495 4 August 1907 Vianden
Vianden Diekirch 9.67 1,561 24 February 1843 Wiltz
Wiltz Diekirch 19.37 4,587 24 February 1843
- ^ (French) "Mémorial A, 1988, No. 64" (PDF). Service central de législation. http://www.legilux.public.lu/leg/a/archives/1988/0641312/0641312.pdf#page=2. Retrieved 2008-04-25.
- ^ (French)/(German) "Mémorial A, 1843, No. 17" (PDF). Service central de législation. http://www.legilux.public.lu/leg/a/archives/1843/0170304/0170304.pdf#page=1. Retrieved 2006-09-07.
- ^ (French)/(German) "Mémorial A, 1906, No. 34" (PDF). Service central de législation. http://www.legilux.public.lu/leg/a/archives/1906/0340206/0340206.pdf#page=2. Retrieved 2006-09-07.
- ^ (French)/(German) "Mémorial A, 1907, No. 42" (PDF). Service central de législation. http://www.legilux.public.lu/leg/a/archives/1907/0421008/0421008.pdf#page=6. Retrieved 2006-09-07.
- ^ (French)/(German) "Mémorial A, 1914, No. 18" (PDF). Service central de législation. http://www.legilux.public.lu/leg/a/archives/1914/0180904/0180904.pdf. Retrieved 2006-10-06.
- ^ (French)/(German) "Mémorial A, 1920, No. 23" (PDF). Service central de législation. http://www.legilux.public.lu/leg/a/archives/1920/0232703/0232703.pdf. Retrieved 2006-12-21.
- ^ (French) "Mémorial A, 1988, No. 64" (PDF). Service central de législation. http://www.legilux.public.lu/leg/a/archives/1988/0641312/0641312.pdf#page=2. Retrieved 2006-09-07.
List of cities in Europe Sovereign
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Czech Republic
- San Marino
- United Kingdom
States with limited
- Northern Cyprus
- South Ossetia
and other territories
- Faroe Islands
- Jan Mayen
- Isle of Man
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of cities in Europe — This is a list of cities in Europe by country. For a list of cities in the European Union, see Largest cities of the European Union by population within city limits and List of cities in the European Union with more than 100,000 inhabitants.… … Wikipedia
List of cities in Serbia — … Wikipedia
List of cities in Kosovo — Cities of Kosovo. This is the list of cities of Kosovo. The administrative divisions in Kosovo are usually named after the largest city in them. Contents 1 District of Đakovica … Wikipedia
List of cities in Belgium — This is a partial list of cities or towns in Belgium: Map of Belgium … Wikipedia
List of cities and towns in Romania — This is a list of cities and towns in Romania, ordered by population according to the 2002 census. For the major cities, average altitude is also given. Cities in bold are county capitals. The list includes major cities with the status of… … Wikipedia
List of cities and towns in Russia — This is a list of cities and towns in Russia. According to the data of 2002 Russian Census, there are 1,108 cities and towns in Russia. City Russian name Federal subject Abakan Абакан Republic of Khakassia Abaza Абаза Republic of Khakassia… … Wikipedia
List of cities by latitude — The following is a list of cities by latitude. Both the latitude and longitude are shown for all cities and sorted by latitude started from the North Pole down to the South Pole. Each heading should be considered the exact value. This means that… … Wikipedia
List of cities and towns in Finland — This article is part of the Subdivisions of Finland series Regions Sub regions Municipalities list list by population list by area NUTS:FI ISO 3166 2:FI This is a list of towns in Finland. In the year 1977 the juridical difference between cities … Wikipedia
List of cities, towns and villages in Cyprus — Map of Cyprus Nicosia, Capital of … Wikipedia
List of cities and towns in Germany — Complete list of 2,065 cities in Germany (as of July 1, 2011) Only municipalities with independent administration and that have the Stadtrecht (city rights) are included. For large cities, see: List of cities in Germany with more than 100,000… … Wikipedia