Detroit Michigan Temple


Detroit Michigan Temple
Detroit Michigan Temple
Detroit Michigan Temple.jpg
Number 63 edit data
Dedication 23 October 1999 (23 October 1999) by
Gordon B. Hinckley
Site 3.1 acres (1.3 hectares)
Floor area 10,700 sq ft (990 m2)
Preceded by Columbia South Carolina Temple
Followed by Halifax Nova Scotia Temple
Official websiteNews & Images

Coordinates: 42°33′58.55759″N 83°13′47.93880″W / 42.5662659972°N 83.229983°W / 42.5662659972; -83.229983 The Detroit Michigan Temple is the 63rd operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The Detroit Michigan Temple is located in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. Ground was broken on October 10, 1998. During the temple open house about 28,000 people toured the temple, seeing the beautiful architecture and furnishings as well as learning about the purpose of LDS temples.

President Gordon B. Hinckley dedicated the Detroit Michigan Temple on October 23, 1999. The Detroit Michigan Temple features a classic modern single spire design constructed with Imperial Danby White marble quarried in Vermont. It has a total floor area of 10,700 square feet (990 m2), two ordinance rooms, and two sealing rooms.

The temple serves church members in the lower peninsula of Michigan, as well as north-west Ohio and the London Ontario Stake, which as well as London includes the border towns of Sarnia and Windsor in Ontario.

The Detroit Michigan Temple is located on the same property as the Bloomfield Hills Michigan Stake Center. The stake center was built in the 1950s under the direction of then-stake president George W. Romney. It was dedicated in 1957 by David O. McKay, who was at the time the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

See also

External links


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.