- Open University of Hong Kong
The Open University
of Hong Kong
香港公開大學 Motto Education for All Established 1989 (as Open Learning Institute of Hong Kong)
1997 (granted full university status)
Type public, self-financing Chancellor Donald Tsang President John Leong Admin. staff 1446 (2006) Students 17,276(2006) Location Hong Kong Campus Ho Man Tin Campus
30 Good Shepherd Street, Homantin, Kowloon
Affiliations ICDE, AAOU Website www.ouhk.edu.hk
The Open University of Hong Kong (OUHK, OpenU, Chinese: 香港公開大學) is a Hong Kong university providing sub-degree, degree and postgraduate courses leading to awards and qualifications principally through a system of open access and distance education.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 List of academic units and schools
- 4 See also
- 5 External links
The university was initially named Open Learning Institute of Hong Kong (OLIHK, 香港公開進修學院). Under the expansion of education in the 1990s in Hong Kong, the establishment of institute introduced distance learning to Hong Kong and set an alternative path of continuing education for its working force. Students are able to adjust the pace of learning according to their own conditions.
As programmes of study are self-financing, there are no financial subsidies from the Hong Kong Government for the university itself. However, full-time students may get grants and loans from the scheme "Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students" (FASP), while other distance learning students are able to make special loan arrangements with a bank.
Recently, the OUHK has designed many non-distance learning courses, including full-time courses. In 2006-2007 academic year, they also participated the Joint University Programmes Admissions System, which mainly target at secondary school graduates, marked as the only self-financed university under the scheme.
Ho Man Tin Campus (OUHK)
Its main campus is located at Ho Man Tin in Kowloon. Additionally, an Island Learning Centre in Sheung Wan, on Hong Kong Island was established in autumn 2000. The Phase II Construction in main campus would be completed in late 2008.
Island Learning Centre (ILC)
- The Island Learning Centre was established in autumn 2000 at Sheung Wan on Hong Kong Island.
- The Centre is over 3,100 square metres and contains more than 20 tutorial rooms and PC laboratories.
- Location: 4/F Shun Tak Centre, 168 Connaught Road Central.
Homantin Plaza Learning Centre (HPLC)
- The Homantin Plaza Learning Centre started operation in August 2005.
- Located just across the street from the main campus.
- This is the University's second learning centre, the first being the Island Learning Centre in Sheung Wan.
- The 960-square-metre Homantin Plaza Learning Centre consists of a small lecture hall and nine tutorial rooms
- Location: Level 1, Homantin Plaza, 80 Fat Kwong Street, Homantin, Kowloon.
OUHK - CITA Learning Centre (OCLC)
- The OUHK - CITA Learning Centre commenced operation in January 2010.
- With an area of approximately 3,000 square metres, it contains 9 classrooms, 2 PC laboratories, a design studio and some student amenities.
- Location: 201-203 Lai King Hill Road, Kwai Chung, NT.
OUHK Course Materials Distribution Centre
- The Course Materials Distribution Centre is conveniently located.
- Location: Room 503-507, 5/F, Block B, Hoi Luen Industrial Centre, 55 Hoi Yuen Road, Kwun Tong, Kowloon
OUHK Consultants (Shenzhen) Limited
- Location:31/F, SEG Plaza, Huaqiang North Road, Futian District, Shenzhen, PRC
List of academic units and schools
- School of Arts and Social Sciences
- Lee Shau Kee School of Business and Administration
- School of Education and Languages
- School of Science and Technology
- Centre for eLearning
- Education in Hong Kong
- List of universities in Hong Kong
- List of buildings and structures in Hong Kong
Universities and Colleges in Hong Kong (*=Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) member institute, #=Funded by the UGC, @=Funded by the public) Statutory universities Statutory institutes Approved
post secondary colleges
Vocational Training Council
General institutesCaritas Bianchi College of Careers · Hong Kong College of Technology · Hong Kong Institute of Technology · Yew Chung Community College ProposedCatholic university in Hong Kong Higher education in Hong Kong · Education in Hong Kong · List of higher education institutions in Hong Kong · Hong Kong Federation of Students Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) The names of the institutions are listed in accordance to the allocation of JUPAS codes of programmes.
(*=Participating in Early Admissions Scheme (until 2010/11))
Tertiary institutionsCity University of Hong Kong · Hong Kong Baptist University · The Hong Kong Polytechnic University · The Chinese University of Hong Kong * · The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology * · The University of Hong Kong * · Lingnan University · The Hong Kong Institute of Education · The Open University of Hong Kong Benchmark agency Early Admissions Scheme (2003-2011) · Higher education in Hong Kong · Education in Hong Kong · List of higher education institutions in Hong Kong
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
University of Hong Kong — Infobox University name = University of Hong Kong native name = 香港大學 caption = Shield of The University of Hong Kong motto = Sapientia Et Virtus (Latin) 明徳格物 (Classical Chinese) [The Great Learning] mottoeng = Wisdom and Virtue established = 1911 … Wikipedia
Chinese University of Hong Kong — The Chinese University of Hong Kong 香港中文大學 Motto 博文約禮 (Classical Chinese) Motto in English To broaden one s intellectual horizon and keep within the bounds of propriety … Wikipedia
City University of Hong Kong — Coordinates: 22°20′11.12″N 114°10′22.76″E / 22.3364222°N 114.1729889°E / 22.3364222; 114.1729889 … Wikipedia
Hong Kong Institute of Education — The Hong Kong Institute of Education 香港教育學院 Established 1994 Type Public Vice Chancellor … Wikipedia
Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital — Infobox Hospital Name = Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital Org/Group = Caption = Location = Happy Valley Region = State = Hong Kong Country = China HealthCare = Medicare Type = Teaching, General Speciality = Standards = Emergency = Affiliation= Li … Wikipedia
Hong Kong Baptist Hospital — Infobox Hospital Name = PAGENAME Org/Group = |120px Caption = Location = Region = Kowloon State = Hong Kong Country = China HealthCare = Private sector Type = Teaching, Private care Speciality = Standards = Emergency = Affiliation= Open… … Wikipedia
Hong Kong — Hong Konger. Hongkongite, n. /hong kong / 1. a British crown colony comprising Hong Kong island (29 sq. mi.; 75 sq. km), Kowloon peninsula, nearby islands, and the adjacent mainland in SE China (New Territories): reverted to Chinese sovereignty… … Universalium
Hong Kong Virtual University — (HKVU, 香港虛擬大學), formerly known Cyber University, started in 2001, is one of collaborative programs funded by Restructuring and Collaboration Fund of University Grants Committee. It is aimed to provide virtual campus for Hong Kong tertiary… … Wikipedia
Hong Kong Dragon Garden — Traditional Chinese 龍圃花園 Simplified Chinese 龙圃花园 Tra … Wikipedia
Hong Kong — HK redirects here. For other uses, see HK (disambiguation). Coordinates: 22°16′42″N 114°09′32″E … Wikipedia