- Joe M. McCord
Joe Milton McCord Residence Denver, Colorado Citizenship United States Fields Biochemistry Institutions University of Colorado Alma mater Rhodes College, Duke University Doctoral advisor Irwin Fridovich Known for Discovery of superoxide dismutase
Joe Milton McCord (born March 3, 1945) is an American biochemist and current Professor of Medicine at the University of Colorado at Denver. He is most famous for his discovery, along with Irwin Fridovich, of the enzyme superoxide dismutase. For this work, Dr. McCord has earned numerous awards and recognition. He has been a member of the board of directors of the LifeVantage Corporation (makers of the dietary supplement Protandim) since 2006.
Education, Academic Positions, Awards, and Honors
Dr. McCord has previously held biochemistry faculty positions at Duke University Medical Center and University of South Alabama. He currently serves as a professor in the department of Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Molecular Genetics at the University of Colorado Denver.
Dr. McCord has received several awards and honors for his research and discoveries in the field of free radical biochemistry. McCord is a past recipient of the Elliott Cresson Medal, the Discovery Award from the Society for Free Radical Biology and Medicine (SFRBM), and a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Oxygen Society. He holds an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Buenos Aires and has served as Honorary President of the International Society of Antioxidants in Nutrition and Health (ISANH) and as Chairman of the Third International Conference on Superoxide Dismutases at the Institut Pasteur.
Dr. McCord has served on the board of directors (Director of Science) of the LifeVantage Corporation since 2006  and is listed by the SEC as an insider shareholder. LifeVantage is a Utah-based multilevel marketing company that distributes an antioxidant dietary supplement known as Protandim. McCord has co-authored 7 studies on the product and participates in distributor training.
In June 2011, Dr. McCord accepted a position as Chief Scientific Officer for LifeVantage Corporation.
McCord has published more than 200 articles in numerous scientific journals and books.
The following is a partial list of Dr. McCord's published articles:
- J.M. McCord and I. Fridovich, Superoxide Dismutase: an Enzymic Function for Erythrocuprein (Hemocuprein), J. Biol. Chem. 244: 6049-6055 (1969).
- B.B. Keele, Jr., J.M. McCord and I. Fridovich, Superoxide Dismutase from Escherichia coli B: A New Manganese-Containing Enzyme, J. Biol. Chem. 245:6176-6181 (1970).
- J.M. McCord, B.B. Keele, Jr., and I. Fridovich, An Enzyme-Based Theory of Obligate Anaerobiosis: The Physiological Function of Superoxide Dismutase, Proc. Nat'l Acad. Sci. USA 68:1024-1027 (1971).
- J.M. McCord, Free Radicals and Inflammation: Protection of Synovial Fluid by Superoxide Dismutase, Science 185:529-531 (1974).
- M.L. Salin and J.M. McCord, Free Radicals and Inflammation: Protection of Phagocytosing Leukocytes by Superoxide Dismutase, J. Clin. Invest. 56:1319-1323 (1975).
- J.M. McCord and E.D. Day, Jr., Superoxide-Dependent Production of Hydroxyl Radical Catalyzed by Iron-EDTA Complex, FEBS Lett. 86:139-142 (1978).
- W.F. Petrone, D.K. English, K. Wong and J.M. McCord, Free Radicals and Inflammation: Superoxide-Dependent Activation of a Neutrophil Chemotactic Factor in Plasma, Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 77:1159-1163 (1980).
- D.N. Granger, G. Rutili and J.M. McCord, Superoxide Radicals in Feline Intestinal Ischemia, Gastroenterology 81:22-29 (1981).
- J.M. McCord, Oxygen-Derived Free Radicals in Post-Ischemic Tissue Injury, New Eng. J. Med. 312:159-163 (1985).
- J.M. McCord and I. Fridovich, Superoxide Dismutase: An Enzymic Function for Erythrocuprein (Hemocuprein), [reprinted from J. Biol. Chem. 244:6049-6055 (1969) as a Landmark Classic Paper] J. NIH Res. 1:111-120 (1989).
- B.A. Omar, N.M. Gad, M.C. Jordan, S.P. Striplin, W.J. Russell, J.M. Downey and J.M. McCord, Cardioprotection by Cu,Zn-Superoxide Dismutase Is Lost at High Doses in the Reoxygenated Heart, Free Radical Biol. Med. 9:465-471 (1990).
- S.C. Flores, J.C. Marecki, K.P. Harper, S.K. Bose, S.K. Nelson, and J.M. McCord, Tat protein of human immuno-deficiency virus type 1 represses expression of manganese superoxide dismutase in HeLa cells, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90:7632?7636 (1993).
- J.M. McCord, Mutant mice, Cu,Zn-superoxide dismutase, and motor neuron degeneration. Science 266:1586?1587 (1994).
- S.K. Nelson, S.K. Bose, and J.M. McCord, The toxicity of high-dose superoxide dismutase suggests that superoxide can both initiate and terminate lipid peroxidation in the reperfused heart, Free Radical Biol. Med. 16:195-200 (1994).
- M. Sève, A. Favier, M. Osman, D. Hernandez, G. Vaitaitis, N.C. Flores, J.M. McCord and S.C. Flores, The human immunodeficiency virus-1 Tat protein increases cell proliferation, alters sensitivity to zinc chelator-induced apoptosis and changes Sp1 DNA binding in HeLa cells. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 361: 165?172 (1999).
- D.M. Guidot and J.M. McCord, Walking a tightrope: The balance between mitochondrial generation and scavenging of superoxide anion, in: E. Cadenas and L. Packer, (eds.), Understanding the Process of Aging, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, pp. 17–38 (1999).
- J.M. McCord, S.K. Bose, and B. Gao, Iron, oxidative stress, the HFE gene, and lung cancer, in: A. Favier, R. Anderson and A. Roussel, (eds.), Trace Elements in Man and Animal, Plenum, London, in press (1999).
- B. Gao, S.C. Flores, S.K. Nelson, and J.M. McCord, A heparin-binding SOD with enhanced therapeutic efficacy, in M. Edeas, (ed.), Superoxide Dismutases: Recent Advances and Clinical Applications, Editions Mel-Paris, Paris, pp. 177–180 (1999).
- J.M. McCord, Evolution of free radicals and oxidative stress. Am. J. Med. 108: 652-659 (2000).
- C. Quijano, D. Hernandez-Saavedra, L. Castro, J.M. McCord, B.A. Freeman and Rafael Radi, Reaction of peroxynitrite with Mn-superoxide dismutase: role of the metal center in decomposition kinetics and nitration. J. Biol. Chem. 276: 11631-11638 (2001).
- J.M. McCord, Superoxide dismutase in aging and disease: An overview. Meth. Enzymol. 349: 331-341 (2002).
- J.M. McCord, Oxidative Stress Related Diseases - Overview, in: H. Rodriguez and R. Cutler (eds.), Oxidative Stress and Aging: Advances in Basic Science, Diagnostics, and Intervention, World Scientific Pub. Co. (2002).
- S.K. Nelson, B. Gao, S. Bose, M. Rizeq and J.M. McCord, A novel mutant human Mn-superoxide dismutase improves myocardial preservation and protects from ischemia/reperfusion injury. J. Heart Lung Transplant. in press, (2002).
- J.C. Marecki and J.M. McCord, The inhibition of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase enhances growth rates of ataxia telangiectasia cells. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 402: 227-234 (2002).
- M.P. Look, K. Krämer, J.K. Rockstroh, J.M. McCord and L. Packer, High-dose nutraceuticals in human immunodeficiency virus-disease. An understudied option? Curr. Topics Nutraceut.Res. 1: 1-16 (2003).
- W.H. Cerwinka, C.F. Krieglstein, C.R. Ross, J.M. McCord and D.N. Granger, Superoxide mediates endotoxin-induced platelet-endothelial cell adhesion in intestinal venules. Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 284: H535-H541 (2003).
- I.N. Hines, J.M. Hoffman, H. Scheerens, B.J. Day, H. Harada, K.P. Pavlick, S. Bharwani, R. Wolf, B. Gao, S.C. Flores, J.M. McCord and M.B. Grisham, Regulation of Post-Ischemic Liver Injury Following Different Durations of Ischemia, Am. J. Physiol.Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 284:G536-G545 (2003).
- D. Hernandez-Saavedra and J.M. McCord, Paradoxical effects of thiol reagents on Jurkat cells and a new thiol-sensitive mutant form of human mitochondrial superoxide dismutase, Cancer Res. 63: 159-163 (2003).
- B. Gao, S.C. Flores, J.A. Leff, S.K. Bose, and J.M. McCord, Synthesis and anti-inflammatory activity of a chimeric recombinant superoxide dismutase: SOD2/3, Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 284: L917-L925 (2003).
- S.K. Nelson, S.K. Bose, G.K. Grunwald, P. Myhill and J.M. McCord, The induction of human superoxide dismutase and catalase in vivo: a fundamentally new approach to antioxidant therapy, Free Radical Biol. Med., 40: 341-347 (2006).
- K. Velmurugan, J. Alam, J.M. McCord and S. Pugazhenthi, Synergistic induction of heme oxygenase-1 by the components of the dietary supplement Protandim, Free Radical Biol. Med., 46: 430-40 (2009).
- J. Liu, X. Gu, D. Robbins, G. Li, R. Shi, J.M. McCord, and Yunfeng Zhao, Protandim, a fundamentally new antioxidant approach in chemoprevention using mouse two-stage skin carcinogenesis as a model, PLoS ONE, 4: e5284 (2009) DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0005284.
- H.J. Bogaard, R. Natarajan, S.C. Henderson, C. Long, D. Kraskauskas, L. Smithson, R.A. Ockaili, J.M. McCord, N.F. Voelkel, Chronic pulmonary artery pressure elevation is insufficient to explain right heart failure, Circulation 120: 1951-1960 (2009).
- A. M. Michelson, J. M. McCord, and I. Fridovich, eds., Superoxide and Superoxide Dismutases, Academic Press, London, 1977.
- P. A Cerutti, I. Fridovich, and J. M. McCord, eds., Oxy-Radicals in Molecular Biology and Pathology, Alan R. Liss, New York, 1988.
- ^ McCord, JM; Fridovich, I. (1969). "Superoxide dismutase. An enzymic function for erythrocuprein (hemocuprein)". J. Biol. Chem. 244 (22): 6049–55. PMID 5389100.
- ^ Keele, BB Jr; McCord, JM; Fridovich, I. (1971). "Superoxide dismutase from escherichia coli B. A new manganese-containing enzyme.". J. Biol. Chem. 245 (22): 6176–81. PMID 4921969.
- ^ "SFRBM - Society for Free Radical Biology and Medicine". http://www.sfrbm.org.
- ^ Nelsona SK, Bose SK, Grunwald GK, Myhill P, McCord JM (15 January 2006). "The induction of human superoxide dismutase and catalase in vivo: A fundamentally new approach to antioxidant therapy". Free Radical Biology & Medicine 40 (2): 341–347. doi:10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2005.08.043. PMID 16413416. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T38-4J1J58D-3&_user=10&_coverDate=01%2F15%2F2006&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=4c980c4fd7aabff2bd0222038b4c1fb0.
- ^ Velmurugan, Kalpana; Alam, et al.; McCord, JM; Pugazhenthi, S (31 October 2008). "Synergistic induction of heme oxygenase – 1 by the components of the antioxidant supplement Protandim". Free Radical Biology & Medicine 46 (3): 430–40. doi:10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2008.10.050. PMID 19056485. http://www.lifevantage.com/documents/2009%20FRBM%20Protandim%20synergistically%20activates%20Nrf2.pdf.
- ^ Liu, Jianfeng; et al., X; Robbins, D; Li, G; Shi, R; McCord, JM; Zhao, Y; Bauer, Joseph Alan (22 April 2009). "Protandim, a Fundamentally New Antioxidant Approach in Chemoprevention Using Mouse Two-Stage Skin Carcinogenesis as a Model". PLoS ONE 4(4): e5284 4 (4): e5284. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0005284. PMC 2668769. PMID 19384424. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0005284.
- ^ Robbins D, Gu X, Shi R, Liu J, Wang F, Ponville J, McCord JM, Zhao Y (July 30, 2010). "The chemopreventive effects of Protandim: modulation of p53 mitochondrial translocation and apoptosis during skin carcinogenesis". PLoS One 5 (7): e11902. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0011902. PMC 2912769. PMID 20689586. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=2912769.
- ^ Bogaard, Harm J.; et al., R; Henderson, SC; Long, CS; Kraskauskas, D; Smithson, L; Ockaili, R; McCord, JM et al. (2 November 2009). "Chronic Pulmonary Artery Pressure Elevation Is Insufficient to Explain Right Heart Failure". Circulation 120 (20): 1951–1960. doi:10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.109.883843. PMID 19884466. http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/120/20/1951?maxtoshow=&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=Chronic+Pulmonary+Artery+Pressure+Elevation+Is+Insufficient+to+Explain+Right+Hea&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT.
- ^ Qureshi MM, McClure WC, Arevalo NL, Rabon RE, Mohr B, Bose SK, McCord JM, Tseng BS (2010). "The dietary supplement protandim decreases plasma osteopontin and improves markers of oxidative stress in muscular dystrophy Mdx mice". J Diet Suppl 1 (7): 159–178. doi:10.3109/19390211.2010.482041. PMC 2926985. PMID 20740052. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=2926985.
- ^ Joddar B, Reen RK, Firstenberg MS, Varadharaj S, McCord JM, Zweier JL, Gooch KJ (15 December 2010 [Epub ahead of print]). "Protandim attenuates intimal hyperplasia in human saphenous veins cultured ex vivo via a catalase-dependent pathway". Free Radic Biol Med. PMID 21167278.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
McCord — is the placename for several places in the United States: Contents 1 Places 2 Surname 3 First name 4 other 5 See also … Wikipedia
Joe Scarpa — Ring name(s) Jay Strongbow Joltin Joe Scarpa Billed height (183 cm) 6 ft 0 in Billed weight (120 kg) 265 lb[2 … Wikipedia
Joe McCord — Joe McCord, born in Knoxville, Tennessee, is a Tennessee politician and the member of the Tennessee House of Representatives representing the 8th district, which is a part of Blount County and Sevier County. He was first elected to the 101st… … Wikipedia
Joe Arlooktoo — (born June 26, 1939) is a northern Canadian artist, adept at soapstone and ivory carving, and a municipal and territorial level politician who was a Member of the Northwest Territories Legislature from 1979 until 1991. He is the current Mayor of… … Wikipedia
Joe Estevez — Joe Estevez, de son vrai nom Joseph Estevez, est un acteur américain né le 13 février 1950 à Dayton, dans l Ohio (États Unis). Biographie Frère de l acteur Martin Sheen, il est l oncle des acteurs Emilio Estévez, Charlie Sheen. Filmographie… … Wikipédia en Français
Ted McCord — Prise de vue pour Johnny Belinda (1948) Lew Ayres et Jane Wyman … Wikipédia en Français
Darris McCord — Date of birth: January 4, 1933 (1933 01 04) (age 78) Place of birth: Detroit, Michigan Career information Position(s) … Wikipedia
Protandim — is a patented dietary supplement that increases the body’s natural antioxidant defenses. According to the maker LifeVantage, Protandim is not an antioxidant per se, but provides antioxidant therapy by inducing the genes that encode a family of… … Wikipedia
Irwin Fridovich — is an American biochemist, most famous for his discovery, with his graduate student Joe M. McCord, of the enzyme superoxide dismutase. This discovery was an important milestone for the now well established idea, that oxygen free radicals… … Wikipedia
Liste der Biografien/Mc — Biografien: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q … Deutsch Wikipedia