- Cycling in Amsterdam
Amsterdam is one of the most bicycle-friendly large cities in the world and is a centre of bicycle culture with good facilities for cyclists such as bike paths and bike racks, and several guarded bike storage garages (Fietsenstalling) which can be used for a nominal fee. In 2006, there were about 465,000 bicycles in Amsterdam.
Bicycles are used by all socio-economic groups because of their convenience, Amsterdam's small size, the 400 km of bike paths, the flat terrain, and the arguable inconvenience of driving an automobile. Each bike path (Fietspad) is coloured brown, in order to differentiate it from a footpath.
Amsterdammers ride a wide variety of bicycles including the traditional Omafiets - the ubiquitous Dutch roadster with a step-through frame - to anything from modern city bikes, road bikes, mountain bikes, and even recumbent bikes.
Many tourists discover Amsterdam by bike, which is the typical Dutch way. Bike Tour Amsterdam offers a guided bike tour through the city. Bicycle traffic, in fact traffic in general, is relatively safe: in 2007, Amsterdam had 18 traffic deaths, of all types, in total.
Bicycle theft in Amsterdam is widespread; in 2005, about 54,000 bicycles were stolen.
- ^ Research and Statistics Division. "Introduction". Traffic and Infrastructure (in Dutch). City of Amsterdam. http://www.os.amsterdam.nl/feitenencijfers/24106/. Retrieved 2008-10-04.
- ^ "Cycling in Amsterdam". amsterdamtips.com. http://www.amsterdamtips.com/tips/cycling-in-amsterdam.php. Retrieved 2010-08-11.
- ^ Research and Statistics Division. "Core Numbers in Graphics: Fewer Traffic Deaths". Safety and Nuissance (in Dutch). City of Amsterdam. Archived from the original on 2008-08-22. http://web.archive.org/web/20080822155119/http://stadstat.osamsterdam.nl/programakkoord.pl?onderwerp=ov&cache_version=6. Retrieved 2008-10-04.
- ^ "Amsterdam Fietst" (in Dutch). Archived from the original on 2007-08-06. http://web.archive.org/web/20070806175414/http://www.fiets.amsterdam.nl/live/main.asp?name=pagina&item_id=807. Retrieved 2007-04-19.
- ^ Research and Statistics Division. "Core Numbers in Graphics: Fewer Bicycle Thefts". Safety and Nuissance (in Dutch). City of Amsterdam. Archived from the original on 2008-08-22. http://web.archive.org/web/20080822155119/http://stadstat.osamsterdam.nl/programakkoord.pl?onderwerp=ov&cache_version=6. Retrieved 2008-10-04.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Amsterdam — This article is about the Dutch capital. For other uses, see Amsterdam (disambiguation). Amsterdam Municipality/city From left to right and top to bot … Wikipedia
Cycling in the Netherlands — White bicycles, for free use, in Hoge Veluwe National Park, the Netherlands, May 2005 Cycling in the Netherlands is a common and popular method of both transport and also recreation. The country is well equipped with cycle paths and other… … Wikipedia
Cycling — Protesters cycling in Chamonix in 2003 … Wikipedia
Amsterdam Bed & Breakfast Mister beans — (Амстердам,Нидерланды) Категория отеля: Адрес: Nieuwezijds A … Каталог отелей
Cycling infrastructure — Contraflow cycle track in Liverpool, England. The cycling infrastructure comprises all the public ways that are available to cyclists travelling from one destination to another. This includes the same network of public roads that is available for … Wikipedia
Cycling in London — Andrew Stunell and John Hemming Cycling in London has enjoyed a renaissance since the millennium. London s cyclists enjoy a cheaper, and often quicker, way around town than those by public transport or car, and as many trips in London are local,… … Wikipedia
Cycling at the 1928 Summer Olympics — The cycling competition at the 1928 Summer Olympics in Amsterdam consisted of two road cycling events and four track cycling events, all for men only. The individual event in road cycling was an individual time trial over a distance of… … Wikipedia
Cycling in Copenhagen — Bicycle rush hour in Copenhagen, where 37% of the population ride their bikes each day … Wikipedia
Amsterdam — Cet article concerne la capitale des Pays Bas. Pour les autres significations, voir Amsterdam (homonymie). Amsterdam … Wikipédia en Français
Ámsterdam — Para otros usos de este término, véase Ámsterdam (desambiguación). Ámsterdam Bandera … Wikipedia Español