Minories

The Minories (play /ˈmɪnərz/, not /ˈmnərz/) is the name of both an area and street in the City of London close to the Tower of London. The street called Minories runs north-south between Aldgate and Tower Hill underground stations. The border between the City and Tower Hamlets ran haphazardly between Minories and Mansell Street, until boundary changes in 1994 resulted in the present-day border along Mansell Street, resulting in Minories falling entirely within the City of London.

Its name is derived from the Abbey of the Minoresses of St. Mary of the Order of St. Clare, founded in 1294, which stood on the site; a "minoress" was a nun. The area was a papal peculiar outside the jurisdiction of the English bishops. The abbey was dissolved in 1539, the property passing to the Crown. The chapel of the former abbey was used as the parish church of Holy Trinity, Minories; and other buildings became an armoury and later workhouse. In 1686, the area became part of the Liberties of the Tower of London.

It gave its name to the Minories railway station, built in 1840 as a part of the London and Blackwall Railway – a 3.5-mile (5.6 km) cable railway. The site is now occupied by a DLR station, opened in 1989 as the western terminus of the system. The system was extended in 1991 to Bank DLR station leaving this as an 'alternate terminus'; now open again following platform extension works in 2009.

Opposite the station are some of the buildings of the City Campus of London Metropolitan University.

The nearest Docklands Light Railway station is Tower Gateway and the nearest London Underground stations are Aldgate and Tower Hill.

The area traditionally hosted a large Jewish community [1]

References

Coordinates: 51°30′39″N 0°04′30″W / 51.5108°N 0.0751°W / 51.5108; -0.0751



Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Minories —    South out of Aldgate High Street, at No. 81, to Tower Hill (P.O. Directory).    The name seems to have been given to the street at the end of the 16th or begining of the 17th century. Stow mentions the street, but not by name. But it is named… …   Dictionary of London

  • Minories railway station — Minories Location Place Minories History Opened by Lon …   Wikipedia

  • Minories' Cross —    In Agas map at the junction of the Minories and Little Tower Hill.    It is also shown on Haiward and Gascoigne s plan of the Tower and precincts, 1597.    A waylide cross or calvary …   Dictionary of London

  • Minories' Ears —    On the eastern boundary of .Portsoken Ward (Strype, ed. 1720, 1. ii. 26).    Not named in the maps …   Dictionary of London

  • Church Street, Minories —    East out of the Minories, leading to Holy Trinity, Minories Church (P.O. Directory).    Former names : Little Minories (Hatton, 1708 ; Strype, ed. 1720 and 1755 ; Rocque, 1746 ; London Guide, 1758). Little Church Street, otherwise the Church… …   Dictionary of London

  • (Holy) Trinity Minories —    At the east end of Church Street, Minories (P.O. Directory).    Stow speaks of it in 1603 as a parish church for the inhabitants of the Close (S. 127).    Referred to in 1541 at the consecration of Knight as Bishop of Bath and Wells as the… …   Dictionary of London

  • Black Horse Court, Minories —    West out of the Minories about the middle. In Portsoken Ward (O. and M. 1677 Boyle, 1799).    In Strype, ed. 1720, I. ii. 28 and map of Portsoken Ward, Black Horse Alley is shown further south, on the site of Crown Alley, Minories (q.v.).… …   Dictionary of London

  • Little Minories —    See Church Street, Minories.    The bounds of Little Minories are set out in Letters Patent of James II. as follows : At the south west corner near Heydon Yard Gate at the house of John Rushden northward to the street side 16 poles to the… …   Dictionary of London

  • Angel Court, Minories —    1) West out of the Minories to Vine Street. (Rocque, 1746.) In Portsoken Ward.    Formerly called: Eeles Yard or Court (O. and M. 1677 P.C. 1732).    Removed for the formation of John Street (q.v.).    2) West out of Minories (O. and M. 1677) …   Dictionary of London

  • Crown Alley, Minories —    West out of the Minories. In Portsoken Ward (P.C. 1732 Boyle, 1799).    Former name : Crown Court (O. and M. 1677).    In Strype s map, ed. 1720, Black Horse Alley (q.v.) seems to occupy the site of Crown Court.    Crown Alley disappeared… …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”