London Stone

The London Stone is a stone that is said to be the place from which the Romans measured all distances in Britannia.

Whether or not this is true, the London Stone was for many hundreds of years recognised as the symbolic authority and heart of the City of London. It was the place where deals were forged and oaths were sworn. It was also the point from which official proclamations were made. Jack Cade, popular leader of those who rebelled against Henry VI in 1450, observed the tradition by striking his sword against it as a symbol of sovereignty after his forces entered London; on striking the stone, he then felt emboldened to declare himself lord of the city.

The Stone was originally situated in the middle of Cannon Street and was much larger than it is now. Later the Stone was set into the wall of St Swithin's Church which was on this site before it was bombed during the Second World War (the Stone remarkably left unscathed).

The stone is still on display opposite Cannon Street station although rather inconspicuously situated.There is also a pub nearby called "The London Stone", which is run by the Eerie Pub Company.

Like the Ravens of the Tower of London, there is a myth that states the Stone's safety is linked to that of the city itself; "So long as the stone of Brutus is safe, so long shall London flourish". This relates to the myth that the stone was part of an altar built by Brutus of Troy, the legendary founder of London.

In fiction

The London Stone is a prominent setting in Charlie Fletcher's children's book about unLondon "Stoneheart".

ee also

* London Wall
* London Stone (riparian)

External links

* [http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/635 More information and pictures of the stone at the Modern Antiquarian]
* [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4997470.stm BBC report on the sport store's pending demolition and the myth]


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • London Stone —    A rounded block of stone set in a large stone case, in which is an oval opening through which it can be seen. Built into the south wall of St. Swithin s Church on the north side of Cannon Street (O.S.).    Earliest mention: Stow says it is… …   Dictionary of London

  • London Stone — La Pierre de Londres, située au 111 Cannon Street La Pierre de Londres (London Stone en anglais) est une pierre trouvée à Cannon Street dans la cité de Londres au Royaume Uni et qui pourrait être un ultime reste du cercle de pierres qui se tenait …   Wikipédia en Français

  • London Stone — Der London Stone wird an einem unscheinbaren Ort aufbewahrt Nahaufnahme …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • London stone — 51° 30′ 42″ N 0° 05′ 22″ W / 51.5117, 0.0895 …   Wikipédia en Français

  • London Stone (riparian) — For the stone used to mark the centre of London, see London Stone. London Stone is the name given to a number of boundary stones which stand beside rivers in south east England. Contents 1 History 2 Staines 3 Yantlet Creek …   Wikipedia

  • (St.) Swithin, London Stone —    On the north side of Cannon Street at No.113, at the south west corner of St. Swithin s Lane (P.O. Directory). In Walbrook Ward.    Earliest mention found in records : S. Swithun de Candelwryhttestrate, 1271 2 (Ct. H.W. I. 10).    Other names… …   Dictionary of London

  • St Swithin, London Stone — Infobox church name = St. Swithin, London Stone fullname = color = imagesize = caption = Current photo of site landscape = denomination = Roman Catholic, Anglican diocese = parish = division = subdivision = founded date = founder = architect =… …   Wikipedia

  • (St.) Martin towards London Stone —    Parr . s Mart . vs lundeneston, 13th cent. (MSS. D. and C. St. Paul s, W.D. 12).    Qy. = St. Martin Orgar …   Dictionary of London

  • London Bridge —    Extends across the River Thames from Adelaide Place and King William Street to High Street, Southwark. Architect, J. Rennie.    Erected 1824 31. Opened by King William IV. in 1831.    It is made of granite, with 5 elliptical arches (Gent. Mag …   Dictionary of London

  • Stone Court —    1) East out of Gutter Lane, in Farringdon Ward Within (O. and M. 1677 Strype, 1720 and 1755).     Stone Cutter Court in Dodsley, 1761.    The site has been rebuilt for offices and business houses.    2) East out of Fetter Lane in Farringdon… …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”