- Mary Elsie Moore
Mary Elsie Moore (October 22, 1889-December 21, 1941) was an American heiress who married and divorced Italian prince Don Marino Torlonia, 4th prince of Civitella-Cesi.
Early life and education
Mary Elsie Moore was born October 22, 1889 in Brooklyn, New York, the youngest child of Charles Arthur Moore, a shipping broker and hardware manufacturer from Connecticut, who went on to become the president of Manning, Maxwell and Moore, a large industrial concern. Her mother was Mary L. Campbell. Her siblings were Charles Arthur Moore Jr., who married Elizabeth Hyde (actress Glenn Close's maternal grandfather), Eugene Maxwell Moore (who married Titanic survivor Margaret Graham) and Jessie Ann Moore, who married US Navy Admiral Colby Mitchell Chester. Mary Elsie was educated at Miss Dow's school in Briarcliff Manor, New York.
Marriage and children
The Duke and Duchess of Torlonia had four children:
- Princess Donna Olimpia Torlonia di Civitella-Cesi
- Don Alessandro Torlonia, 5th Prince di Civitella-Cesi, who married Infanta Beatriz of Spain
- Princess Donna Cristina Torlonia di Civitella-Cesi
- Princess Donna Marina Torlonia di Civitella-Cesi, who married two Americans: Francis Xavier Shields (by whom she became a grandmother of the actress Brooke Shields) and Edward Slater
In 1925, the couple separated; the duchess filed for divorce in the United States in 1926. Her American citizenship was brought into question, but the Connecticut courts decided that her residence in the state was legal and granted her divorce in February 1928.
Moore died on December 21, 1941 in New York.
- ^ "MISS MOORE WEDS THE DUKE TORLONIA; New York Girl Becomes Duchess of Poli at Quiet Wedding in Greenwich". The New York Times: p. 7. 1907-08-16. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9C03EFDD173EE033A25755C1A96E9C946697D6CF.
- ^ "AMERICAN DUCHESS SEEKS DIVORCE HERE; Move in Suit of Former Elsie Moore Against Italian Duke of Torlonia Is Due Friday". The New York Times: p. 8. 1926-11-22. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F70A11FD3F581B7A93C0AB178AD95F428285F9.
- ^ "HER CITIZENSHIP IS ISSUE; Duchess of Torlonia's Passport Is Called For in Divorce Suit". The New York Times: p. 2. 1927-11-23. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20714FD3F591B7A93C1AB178AD95F438285F9.
- ^ "DUCHESS TORLONIA OBTAINS A DIVORCE; Bridgeport Judge Frees Former Elsie Moore From Italian Husband". The New York Times: p. 19. 1928-02-11. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F70A17FD3A59127A93C3A81789D85F4C8285F9.
- ^ "DUCHESS TORLONIA WINS DIVORCE SUIT APPEAL; Gains Decision of Connecticut High Court That Residence in State Is Legal". The New York Times: p. 6. 1928-07-28. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F10710FF3C5C13778DDDA10A94DF405B888EF1D3.
- ^ "PRINCESS TORLONIA DEAD HERE AT 53; Former Wife of Late Italian Nobleman Succumbs to Long Illness in Her Home". New York Times: p. 17. 1941-12-22. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50B1FFC3C5916738DDDAB0A94DA415B8188F1D3&scp=17&sq=elsie+torlonia&st=p.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mary Moore — may refer to: Mary Carr Moore (1873–1957), American composer Mary Elsie Moore (1889–1941), American heiress Mary Tyler Moore (born 1936), American actress Mary Moore (Time Lady), American voice actor, first voice of talking clock Mary Moore,… … Wikipedia
Moore Island — Geography Location Hudson Bay Coordinates 56°20′N … Wikipedia
Mary Pickford — (1913) Mary Pickford (* 8. April 1892 in Toronto, Ontario; † 29. Mai 1979 in Santa Monica, Kalifornien; gebürtig Gladys Louise Smith) war eine kanadische Schauspielerin und Filmproduzentin der Stumm u … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mary Pickford filmography — Mary Pickford on location for The Pride of the Clan (1917) Mary Pickford (1892–1979) was a Canadian motion picture actress, producer, and writer. During the si … Wikipedia
Mary Island — For the island in Kiribati, see Kanton Island. Mary Island Geography Location Frobisher Bay Coordinates … Wikipedia
Manning, Maxwell and Moore — was a Bridgeport, Connecticut railroad supply company created by Charles Arthur Moore. See also Mary Elsie Moore, daughter References ^ M. M. M. . Time magazine. January 24, 1938 … Wikipedia
Alessandro Torlonia — Príncipe de Civitella Cesi Príncipe Alessandro Torlonia. Predecesor Marino Alessandro Torlonia di Civitella Cesi Sucesor Marco Torlonia di Civitella Cesi Nombre real … Wikipedia Español
Marino Torlonia, 4th prince of Civitella-Cesi — Don Marino Torlonia (29 July 1861 5 March 1933), the 4th Prince di Civitella Cesi, duke of Poli and Guadagnolo, was an Italian nobleman.He was born in Poli, Italy, the sixth son of Prince Don Giulio Torlonia, the 2nd Duke di Poli e di Guadagolo,… … Wikipedia
Marino Torlonia, 4th Prince of Civitella-Cesi — Marino Torlonia (29 July 1861 – 5 March 1933), the 4th Prince di Civitella Cesi, duke of Poli and Guadagnolo, was an Italian nobleman. Contents 1 Biography 2 Ancestry 3 See also 4 Ref … Wikipedia
Alessandro Torlonia, 5th Prince of Civitella-Cesi — Don (honorific) Alessandro Torlonia (7 December 1911 1 May/12 May 1986) was the 5th Prince di Civitella Cesi. He was the son of Marino Torlonia, 4th Prince di Civitella Cesa and his American wife, Mary Elsie Moore. He was born in Rome and died in … Wikipedia