- Boston University School of Law notable alumni
A list of
Boston University School of Lawnotable alumni follows below in alphabetical order.
* Nathan Abbott, LLB 1881, founding Dean of
Stanford Law School
Lincoln C. Almond, 1961, Governor of Rhode Island
* Ruby Andrew, JD 1992, Director of
USAIDIndonesia legislative education project
* Armand Arabian, JD 1961, Associate Justice of the
* Carolyn Arch, LLB 1963, first African-American women appointed Assistant U.S. Attorney in the State of New Jersey
Consuelo Northrup Bailey, LLB 1925, first woman elected as lieutenant governorin the United States
F. Lee Bailey, LLB 1960, 1966, disbarred criminal defense lawyer; represented O.J. Simpson, among others
* Jennie Loitman Barron, LLB 1913, LLM 1914, first woman appointed
associate justiceof the Massachusetts Superior Court
* Robert T. Belton, JD 1965, Professor of Law,
Vanderbilt University. Nationally prominent civil rights attorney, Assistant Counsel with the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, partner in one of the first racially integrated law firms in the South
* Carolyn Berger, JD 1976, first woman Justice of the
Delaware Supreme Court
Albert Brown, JD, Governor of New Hampshire
Fred Brown, JD, Governor of New Hampshire, U.S. Congressman
Edward W. Brooke, LLB 1948, LLM 1949, Attorney General of Massachusetts; first African American elected to the Senate by popular vote; one of only five African Americans to serve in the US Senate; awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
* Thomas E. Burke, LLB 1896, Olympic gold medalist in the 100- and 400-meter running events.
William M. Butler, 1884, U.S. Senator(MA)
* Clara Burrill Bruce, LLB 1926, first African American woman to join a
law review; the first African American Woman to be elected editor-in-chief of a law review
* Norman S. Case, LLB 1912,
Governor of Rhode Islandand the Providence Plantations
Martha M. Coakley, JD 1979, Massachusetts Attorney General (2007-Present), District Attorney for Middlesex County, Massachusetts
William S. Cohen, LLB 1965, U.S. Secretary of Defenseand US Senatorfrom Maine
Warren A. Cole- founder of Lambda Chi Alpha, one of the largest social fraternities in the United States
Paul A. Dever, JD, Governor of Massachusetts
* Judith Nelson Dilday, JD 1974, first African American to serve as a
circuit judgeon the Massachusetts Probate and Family Court
Samuel Felker, JD, Governor of New Hampshire
Ivan Fisher, LLB , A prominent Manhattan lawyer
Michael F. Flaherty, JD 1994, President of the Boston City Council
* Austin Barclay Fletcher, LLB 1879; 1880 Prominent New York lawyer and Boston University Trustee. Namesake of
The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacyat Tufts University.
James C. FosterJD 1976, is the chairman and chief executive officer of Charles River Laboratories, Inc.
* Frank H. Freedman, LLB 1949, LLM 1950, Senior Judge of the
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Richard W. Graber, JD 1981, the United States Ambassador to the Czech Republic.
Judd A. Gregg, JD 1972, LLM 1975, U.S. Senator, Governor of New Hampshire
* Jane Wallis Gumble, JD 1981, director of the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD)
* Emanuel Hewlett, LLB 1877, first African-American graduate of BU Law, argued the "Shipp" case, the first and only criminal trial at the
U.S. Supreme Court(1906)
Jeff Jacoby, JD 1983, " Boston Globe" opinion/editorial columnist
* Byron B. Johnson, LLB 1873, first mayor of
* Dr. Barbara C. Jordan, LL.B. 1959, first African-American woman elected to the
U.S. Congressfrom a southern state, awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedomin 1994, first woman to deliver a keynote addressat the Democratic National Conventionin 1976
* Edwin B. Jourdain, LLB 1888, helped found the
Niagara Movement, which led to the creation of the NAACP
David E. Kelley, JD 1983, Emmy winning television producer
* Takeo Kikuchi, LLB 1877, founder and first president of Tokyo’s
Gary F. Locke, JD 1975, Governor of Washington, and the first Asian-American governor in the mainland U.S.
Maria Lopez, first Hispanic appointed a judge in the Massachusetts, current television jurist on the U.S. syndicated television show Judge Maria Lopez.
* J. Gray Lucas, LLB 1883, Assistant U.S. Attorney of Cook County (Illinois), the first African-American to serve as assistant corporation counsel of the City of Chicago and assistant recorder of deeds in Cook County
Sandra L. Lynch, JD 1971, first woman judge appointed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Elizabeth (Sadie) Holloway Marston, LLB 1918 - co-creator of the comic book character, " Wonder Woman"
* William C. Matthews, LLB 1907, played football and
baseballfor Harvard University; seen by many as the Jackie Robinsonof his day
J. Howard McGrath, LLB 1929, Sixtieth Attorney General, 1949-52 U.S. Senator, 1940-45 Governor of Rhode Island.
Thomas McIntyre, JD, U.S. Senator(NH)
Jordan Mintz, JD, Enron Whistleblower
* Howard J. Moore, JD 1960, Civil Rights Attorney, represented
Julian Bondand Muhammad Ali, attorney for Angela Davisduring the Free Angela campaign of the early 1970s
F. Bradford Morse, LLB 1949, director of the United Nations Development Program
Shannon O'Brien, JD 1985, first woman to hold the office of treasurer and receiver general of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
* Bettina B. Plevan, JD 1970, president of the
Association of the Bar of the City of New York
* Leila Josephine Robinson, LLB 1881, first female law school graduate in Massachusetts and first woman admitted to
* Arthur Prentice Rugg, LLB 1886,
chief justiceof the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court
* William Russell, JD,
Governor of Massachusetts
* Emma Fall Schofield, LLB 1908, first female assistant attorney general in the
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Sabita Singh, JD 1990, first judge of south Indian descent in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Robert T. Stafford, LLB 1938; HON 1959, U.S. Senator, father or the Robert T. Stafford Student Loan(Stafford Loan) program, the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act(Stafford Act) and co-sponsored the Wilderness Protection Act
Juan R. Torruella, JD 1957, first Hispanic to serve on the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Robert Upton, JD, U.S. Senator(NH)
David I. Walsh, JD, U.S. Senator, Governor of Massachusetts
* Clifton R. Wharton, LLB 1920, first African-American
Foreign Service Officerin the U.S. Department of State; the first black diplomat to become ambassador by rising through the ranks of the Foreign Service rather than by political appointment; and the first black diplomat to lead a U.S. delegation to a European country.
Avon Williams, LLB 1947; LLM 1948, prominent civil rights attorney and Tennessee state senator
* Butler Roland Wilson, LLB 1883, co-founder of the Boston branch of the
NAACP; branch president from 1926 to 1936; national board of directors in the 1920s.
Myrth York, JD 1972, Rhode Island State Senator, first female chair of the Senate Health, Education and Welfare Committee (RI)
Owen D. Young, LLB 1896, founder of RCA, 1929 Time Magazine's Man of the Year Chairman and CEOof General Electric
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Boston University School of Law — (BU Law) is the law school affiliated with Boston University. Located in the heart of Boston University s campus on Commonwealth Avenue in Boston, Massachusetts, BU Law is housed in the tallest law school building in the United States and the… … Wikipedia
Boston University School of Public Health — Infobox University name = Boston University School of Public Health native name = image size = 250px caption = The Talbot Building latin name = Universitas Bostoniensis motto = tagline = established = 1976 type = Private endowment = staff =… … Wikipedia
Boston University School of Medicine — Latin: Universitas Bostoniensis Established 1848 Type Private Provost Karen H. Antman … Wikipedia
Boston University School of Management — Infobox University name = Boston University School of Management established = 1913 type = Private dean = Louis E. Lataif city = Boston state = Massachusetts country = USA undergrad = 1,748 postgrad = 881 postgrad label = MBA campus = Urban… … Wikipedia
Northeastern University School of Law — Established 1898 Type Private Endowment $8,905,474 in 2003 … Wikipedia
Boston University — Seal of Boston University Latin: Universitas Bostoniensis Motto Learning, Virtue, Piety[ … Wikipedia
Boston College School of Theology and Ministry — Established 1922 Type Private Religious affiliation Roman Catholic, Jesuit … Wikipedia
University of Michigan Law School — Established 1859 School type Public Endowment US$248 million(2000) Parent endowment US$7.8billion (2011) … Wikipedia
University of San Diego School of Law — Infobox Law School name = University of San Diego School of Law established = 1954 type = Private endowment = parent endowment = head = Dean Kevin Cole city = San Diego state = California country = USA students = 1,000 (approx.) faculty = 60 full … Wikipedia
Boston University College of Communication — Infobox University name = College of Communication native name = latin name = motto = established = May 27, 1947 type = endowment = staff = faculty = president = provost = principal = rector = chancellor = vice chancellor = dean = Tobe Berkovitz… … Wikipedia