- Doctor of Business Administration
The degree of Doctor of Business Administration, abbreviated, (DBA) or (D.B.A.) and equivalent to (PhD in Business Administration), is a research doctorate in business administration. The D.B.A. requires coursework and research beyond the masters degree that normally results in a dissertation and possible journal publication that contributes to business practice.
Purpose and Recognition
The D.B.A. is usually identical to a Ph.D in Business Administration, except that it tends more towards applied research rather than theoretical research, especially during the thesis writing phase. A few schools, prominently among them Manchester Business School, Cranfield School of Management, Maastricht School of Management, Harvard Business School and Boston University School of Management
The portion of the program that consists of coursework may be comparable to that of a Ph.D. However the larger part of the program, consisting of independent research and the writing of a thesis, is geared towards more applied research in D.B.A. programs, with the research making a direct contribution to business practice. Another way to see the distinction is that Ph.D.s aim at the creation of new theory, while D.B.A.s aim at applying theory to business problems.
The choice of D.B.A. or Ph.D is always relevant for those considering a doctorate and its contribution. A Ph.D in Business is more suitable for students that want to pursue a career exclusively in academics, while the D.B.A. has been designed for students who might wish to pursue a career in the profession as well. A typical D.B.A. program has a dual purpose: (1) to contribute to both theory and practice in relation to business and management; and (2) to develop professional practice and to contribute to professional knowledge. Nevertheless, the D.B.A. degree can suffice to obtain tenure-track positions at research-oriented schools, provided the research conducted was of high quality.
Structure and Format
Typical entry requirements include M.B.A., MSc, or similar masters degrees, or equivalent qualifications in general management, or in a functional field by examination awarded by a professional body. Some universities also ask for significant experience in a managerial or professional supervisory position involving responsibility for strategic issues. The D.B.A. normally requires a significant thesis, dissertation or final comprehensive project including a formal defense and approval by nominated examiners or an officially sanctioned and qualified doctoral review committee. The degree is conferred when all coursework, testing, and written research are completed and reviewed and approved by the awarding institution.
D.B.A. candidates may specialize in areas such as management science, technology management, organizational behavior, economics, or finance or other practical fields. Curricula may be offered on a full-time or part-time basis. According to the European higher education standards set by the Bologna Process, it is stated that the normal duration of a doctorate should correspond to 3–4 years of full time study.
D.B.A. program quality
The responsibility for the overall quality of a D.B.A or other doctoral programs resides within the graduate research degrees committees or their equivalent within the university. As such, D.B.A programs must have a specific set of university regulations and must be subject to appropriate quality approval processes. Regulations should include reference to protocols for treating ethical issues in research, including those involving researchers working within the organisation that employs them and/or having access to privileged information. The implementations as above are widely used in Australian Universities, for instance a D.B.A student cannot embark into research phase before passing all his/her courseworks, research proposal and ethics, upon passing proposal stage, he/she still needs to clear ethics from Ethics Committee. Even after completing the dissertation writing, the D.B.A candidate still needs to go through numerous internal moderations of the dissertation before submitting to external examinations (at least two external examiners). For successful candidates in the external examinations stage, they usually need to revise their dissertations before final approval from the D.B.A committee of granting the degree. The research phase is always a tedious and demanding phase.
Notable persons with D.B.A. degrees
- Robert F. Bruner – Dean Charles C. Abbott Professor of Business Administration and Distinguished Professor of Business Administration at the Darden Graduate School of Business Administration, University of Virginia.
- Clayton M. Christensen - the Robert and Jane Cizik Professor of Business Administration at Harvard Business School.
- Sumantra Ghoshal – Founding Dean of the Indian School of Business, Hyderabad, and formerly Robert P. Bauman Chair in Strategic Leadership at the London Business School. Alongside his D.B.A. from Harvard Business School, Ghoshal obtained a Ph.D. from the MIT Sloan School of Management.
- Manfred F.R. Kets de Vries - the Raoul de Vitry d'Avaucourt Professor of Leadership Development at INSEAD and director of the INSEAD Global Leadership Centre.
- Mongay Jorge – Professor of International Business at Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (UAB), ESIC Business School and Arcadia University (US). Reviewer of The International Academy of Business and Economics (IABE)
- CK Prahalad - the Paul and Ruth McCracken Distinguished University Professor of Corporate Strategy at University of Michigan, Ross School of Business.
- Michael E. Raynor - Canadian management expert and consultant with Deloitte Consulting LLP, the Distinguished Fellow with Deloitte Research.
- John Quelch - Dean, Vice President and Distinguished Professor of International Management at CEIBS,previously Senior Associate Dean and the Lincoln Filene Professor of Business Administration at Harvard Business School
- Birger Wernerfelt – J. C. Penney Professor of Management and Chair of PhD Committee, MIT Sloan School of Management.
- Robert B. Wilson – Adams Distinguished Professor of Management, Emeritus, Graduate School of Business, and Professor of Economics (by courtesy), School of Humanities and Sciences, Stanford University.
- Dave Yeske, Co-Founder, Managing Director, Yeske Buie; National President (2003), Financial Planning Association (FPA); Distinguished Adjunct Professor, Ageno School of Business, Golden Gate University.
Schools offering D.B.A. degrees
- Charles Darwin University
- Charles Sturt University- (CSU)
- Curtin University of Technology
- Deakin University
- Macquarie University- Both DBA and PhD Programs offered.
- Murdoch University
- University of Newcastle
- Queensland University of Technology.
- RMIT University
- University of South Australia
- Southern Cross University - Both DBA and PhD Programs offered.
- University of Southern Queensland - Both DBA and PhD Programs offered.
- University of Ballarat - Both DBA and PhD Programs offered.
- University of the Sunshine Coast
- Swinburne University of Technology - Discontinued 2011
- Victoria University, Australia
- University of Western Australia
- University of Wollongong - Both DBA and PhD Programs offered.
- University of Canberra - Both DBA and PhD Programs offered.
- University of Western Sydney
- University of CEMA - Doctorate in Business Administration offered.
- NU of M - Doctorate in Administration offered.
- Torcuato di Tella University - Doctorate in Administration offered.
- University of San Andrés - Doctorate in Administration offered.
- Pontifical Catholic University of Argentina - Doctorate in Administration offered.
- University of Sarajevo Sarajevo School of Economics and Business
- Athabasca University Online Doctorate of Business Administration offered.
- Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
- Université de Sherbrooke - Both DBA and PhD offered.
- University of Toronto - Rotman School of Management - PhD/DBA equivalent
- University of Western Ontario - Ivey School of Business - PhD/DBA equivalent
- Simon Fraser University - Beedie School of Business - PhD/DBA equivalent
- Carleton University - Sprott School of Business - PhD/DBA equivalent
- Arab Academy of Science, Technology & Maritime Transport- Graduate School of Business - DBA Offered, Egypt.
- Dauphine (Paris Dauphine University) - EDBA and PhD offered with completion options at Libera Università Internazionale degli Studi Sociali Guido Carli, Italy and Georgia State University, USA.
- Universite de Nice - Department of Business Administration (IAE) offers DBA.
- International School of Management - DBA and PhD offered with completion options in Paris, New York, Tokyo, and Shanghai.
- Grenoble Ecole de Management DBA and Joint DBA offered with the University of Newcastle upon Tyne and the Tongji University, China.
- Montesquieu University – Bordeaux IV DBA and Joint DBA offered with the IMI (Industrial Management Institute) , I.R.Iran.
- University of Gloucestershire The German Office in Munich, Germany offers the DBA.
- University of Applied Sciences Deggendorf, Germany, offers the DBA in cooperation with Charles Sturt University, Australia.
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Open University of Hong Kong
- University College Cork - Dept. of Economics offers DBA in Business Economics and PhD.
- Multimedia University
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
- Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Universiti Utara Malaysia
- International Islamic University Malaysia
- Universiti Teknologi MARA
- Open University Malaysia
- HELP University College
- UCSI University
- SEGi University College
- Limkokwing University of Creative Technology
- International University College Of Technology Twintech
- Asia e University
- Binary University College
- Razzen (Business School) cooperation with Universiti Utara Malaysia, Malaysia
- City University College of Science and Technology cooperation with University of Ballarat, Australia
- Institute of Training and Development cooperation with University of South Australia, Australia
- Stamford College Malaysia cooperation with United Business Institutes, Belgium
- Pine Academy cooperation with European University, Switzerland
- Net Academy cooperation with United Business Institutes, Belgium & Scandinavian Art and Business Institute, Finland
- Instituto Politecnico Nacional - Doctorate in Business Administration offered
- Universidad de Celaya --Doctorate in Business Administration offered.
- Universidad Anahuac del Sur -- DBA
- Universidad Azteca -- DBA, PhD in Business Administration (Management) offered.
- International University of Monaco - Both DBA and PhD offered.
- Tilburg University TiasNimbas Business School, Netherlands.
- Maastricht School of Management
- Nyenrode Business Universiteit Nyenrode Business University, Netherlands.
- Massey University - Both DBA and PhD offered.
- Aquinas University of Legazpi
- AMA Computer University
- Ateneo de Davao University
- Ateneo de Naga University
- Colegio de Dagupan
- Colegio de San Juan de Letran
- De La Salle University
- Lyceum-Northwestern University
- Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila
- Philippine School of Business Administration
- Polytechnic University of the Philippines
- University of the Philippines
- Ifugao State University
- Saint Louis University, Baguio City
- San Beda College
- University of Mindanao
- University of the East
- University of Northern Philippines
- Our Lady of Fatima University
- Southern Luzon State University
- [[Wisdom International School for Higher Education Studies
- IE Business School (formerly known as 'Instituto de Empresa')- Both DBA and PhD offered.
Accredited Universities by the Swiss Government's Rector's converence (CRUS):
- Zurich University of Applied Sciences in Business Administration (HWZ), Part from the Zurich University of Applied Sciences the second largest University in Switzerland. (State recognized University)
- Kalaidos University of Applied Sciences (State recognized University)
Private Universities offering International programmes with ACBSP or IACBE accreditation (CHEA recognised):
- SBS Swiss Business School, Switzerland.
- European University
- Swiss Management Center
- Business School Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Asian Institute of Technology - DBA and PhD offered. DBA offered in India, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
- University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce - DBA Offered, Thailand.
- Naresuan University - DBA Offered, Thailand.
- Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University - DBA Offered, Thailand.
- International Management Institute, IMI-Kyiv - Doctor of Business Administration offered, specialized AMIS program.
United Arab Emirates
- Abu Dhabi University - Doctor of Business Administration offered, U.A.E.
- University of Wollongong in Dubai - Both DBA and PhD Degree offered, U.A.E.
- Ashridge Business School Both DBA and PhD Degree offered.
- Aston University Both DBA and PhD Degree offered.
- University of Southampton Both DBA and PhD Degree offered.
- University of Bath DBA in Higher Education Management.
- University of Bedfordshire
- Birmingham City University Both DBA and PhD Degree offered.
- University of Birmingham (Birmingham Business School) Both DBA and PhD offered.
- Bournemouth University
- University of Bradford School of Management
- Middlesex University DBA, DProf, DProf by Public Works and PhD offered
- Cranfield University Both DBA and PhD Degree offered.
- Durham University (Durham Business School), in UK.
- University of Glamorgan (Glamorgan Business School) - Both DBA and PhD offered.
- University of Gloucestershire - Both DBA and PhD Degree offered, UK and Germany.
- University of Greenwich
- Greenwich School of Management - Both DBA and PhD Degree offered, UK
- Heriot Watt University (Edinburgh Business School)
- University of Huddersfield
- Kingston University (Kingston Business School)
- Leeds Metropolitan University Both DBA and PhD Degree offered.
- London Metropolitan University
- University of Leeds Both DBM and PhD Degree offered.
- University of Liverpool
- Liverpool John Moores University
- University of Manchester (Manchester Business School) Both DBA and PhD offered.
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- Newcastle University Business School - Both DBA and PhD offered
- Northumbria University - Both DBA and PhD offered.
- Nottingham Trent University - Both PhD and DBA offered.
- University of Reading (Henley Business School) - Both DBA and PhD offered.
- The Robert Gordon University (Aberdeen Business School) - DBA
- University of Portsmouth - Both PhD and DBA offered.
- Sheffield Hallam University - Both PhD and DBA offered.
- University of Strathclyde - Both PhD and DBA offered.
- University of Surrey PhD and DBA offered.
- Teesside University - Both PhD and DBA offered.
- University of Hertfordshire - Both PhD and DBA offered.
- University of Bolton - Both PhD and DBA offered.
- Alliant International University
- Anderson University (Indiana)
- Argosy University
- Baker College
- Boston University School of Management
- California InterContinental University
- California International Business University
- California Miramar University
- California Southern University
- California University of Business and Technology
- Capella University
- Cleveland State University.
- Colorado Technical University
- Columbia Southern University
- George Fox University
- Georgia State University - PhD offered
- Golden Gate University
- Grand Canyon University
- Harvard Business School - DBA and PhD offered.
- Indiana University - Kelley School of Business
- Jones International University
- Kennesaw State University
- Lawrence Technological University
- Lincoln University (California)
- Louisiana Tech University
- Metropolitan State University
- Northcentral University
- Nova Southeastern University
- Pacific States University
- Saint Ambrose University
- Saint Louis University
- Southern New Hampshire University
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Georgia Terry College of Business - PhD offered
- University of Kentucky
- University of Management and Technology (United States)
- University of Phoenix
- Walden University (Online)
- Webster University - DMngt offered
- Wilmington University
- University of Economics, Ho Chi Minh City cooperation with University of Western Sydney, Australia
- Vietnam National University Hanoi cooperation with Northcentral University, United States
- Center for International Training Cooperation cooperation with Columbia Southern University, United States
- Foreign Trade University
- Thai Nguyen University cooperation with Southern Luzon State University, Philippines
- National Economics University
- MDIS cooperation with Southern Cross University, Australia
- IHTC cooperation with California Southern University, United States
- Asian Institute of Technology (Vietnam Campus)
- Business education
- Doctor of Philosophy
- PhD in Management
- PhD in Business Administration
- Doctor of Public Administration
- Doctor of Health Administration
- Master of Business Administration
- sieps.ch Information Services on Swiss Private Schools and Universities
- ^ Harvard Business School FAQ on doctoral programs
- ^ http://weatherhead.case.edu/degrees/doctor-management/ Case Western Reserve-Doctor of Management
- ^ http://www.tiasnimbas.edu/Doctor_of_Business_Administration/pgeId=311 TiasNimbas: Doctor of Business Administration
- ^ http://www.allbusinessschools.com/business-careers/business-school-101/dba-phd All Business Schools: DBA vs. PhD in Business Administration Programs
- ^ http://www.mba.athabascau.ca/titanweb/au/webcms.nsf/AllDoc/B432DD075D38015987257076007C6B25?Opendocument Athabasca University: DBA vs PhD
- ^ Business Doctorate & PhD Programs Graduate School Programs - Masters & PhD Degrees
- ^ a b http://www.financialadvisormagazine.com/component/content/article/4-front-liine-news/13-frontline-news.html
- ^ http://www.ggu.edu/about/faculty/faculty_directory/david_yeske
- ^ California InterContinental University DBA
- ^ Jones International University DBA
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Doctor of Business Administration — Der Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) stellt den höchsten akademischen Grad in der angelsächsischen universitären Managementausbildung dar. Der DBA hat keine direkte Entsprechung im deutschen Hochschulsystem und ist in Deutschland am… … Deutsch Wikipedia
DBA (Doctor of Business Administration) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Para otros usos de este término, véase DBA. DBA, son las siglas en inglés de Doctor of Business Administration o Doctor en Administración de Negocios (en español), es un doctorado de investigación profesional. El DBA … Wikipedia Español
Doctor of Public Administration — The Doctor of Public Administration (D.P.A.) is a terminal applied research doctoral degree in the field of public administration (government). The D.P.A. requires significant coursework beyond the masters level and a dissertation that… … Wikipedia
Doctor of Health Administration — The Doctor of Health Administration or D.H.A. degree was started in the U.S. in the late 1990s at the Medical University of South Carolina as an advanced professional doctorate in health leadership. The founding director and chief architect for… … Wikipedia
Master of Business Administration — MBA redirects here. For other uses, see MBA (disambiguation). The Master of Business Administration (MBA or M.B.A.) is a master s degree in business administration, which attracts people from a wide range of academic disciplines. The MBA… … Wikipedia
Master of Business Administration — Der „Master of Business Administration“ (MBA) ist ein postgraduales generalistisches Management Studium, das alle wesentlichen Managementfunktionen abdecken soll. MBA ist auch die Bezeichnung für den durch dieses Studium erworbenen akademischen… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bachelor of Business Administration — Der Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) ist ein akademischer Grad, der überwiegend in angloamerikanisch geprägten Bildungssystemen durch einen Studiengang der Betriebswirtschaftslehre nach einem drei oder meist vierjährigen Vollzeitstudium… … Deutsch Wikipedia
University of the East College of Business Administration — Infobox University name = College of Business Administration established = 1947 type = Private city = Sampaloc state = Manila country = Philippines dean = Tessie B. Cheng Chua head label = head = faculty = undergrad = postgrad = website =… … Wikipedia
Nance College of Business Administration — is the business school at Cleveland State University in Cleveland, Ohio. With more than 3,000 current students and over 19,000 alumni, the Nance College of Business Administration ranks among the largest in Ohio. It is fully accredited by the… … Wikipedia
Florida International University College of Business Administration — Infobox University name = College of Business Administration established = 1965 type = Public city = Miami state = Florida country = USA faculty = students = 8,583 [cite web|url=http://www.fiu.edu/oir/fall profile/current fall… … Wikipedia