— Town — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country Ireland Province Ulster County County Monaghan Elevation 71 m (233 ft) Population (2006) - Urban 6,250 - Environs 1,561 Irish Grid Reference H668338
Monaghan (Irish: Muineachán) is the county town of County Monaghan in Ireland. Its population at the 2006 census stood at 7,811 (including rural area). The town is located on the main road, the N2 road, from Dublin north to both Derry and Letterkenny.
The toponym Muineachán derives from a diminutive plural form of the Irish word muine meaning "brake" (a thickly overgrown area) or sometimes "hillock". The county council's preferred interpretation is "land of the little hills", a reference to the numerous drumlins in the area. Another translation of the name splits the Irish name into "Muine Acháin" - with "acháin" meaning field. With this separation, and depending on the interpretation of "muine", "Muine Acháin" could be translated to "bushy (over-grown) field" or "hilly field".
Coat of arms
The coat of arms of Monaghan town features a red hand on a shield on a tower. It has been speculated that the red hand here is the hand of the O'Neill family since the Battle of Clontibret between the forces of Hugh O'Neill and the English Crown was fought in northern Monaghan in May 1595.
The Battle of Clontibret between the forces of Hugh O'Neill, The O'Neill and the English Crown was fought in northern Monaghan in May 1595. The territory of Monaghan had earlier been wrested from the control of the MacMahon sept in 1591, when the leader of the MacMahons was hanged by authority of the Dublin government; this was one of the events that led to the Nine Years War and the Tudor conquest of Ireland.
On the Hill of Lech, the Hill of the Stone was the inauguration stone of the Mac Mahons. It overlooks Ballagh Lough to the west, which was once known as Lough Leck. Situated 5 kilometres (3 miles) south-west of Monaghan, the petrosomatoglyph was last used in 1595, but was destroyed by a farm owner in 1809. It is said to be built into the wall of a mill.
The Ulster Canal through Monaghan linking the River Blackwater at Moy with the River Erne near Clones was built between 1825 and 1842. By the time it was completed, competition in the form of the Ulster Railway from Belfast to Clones was already under construction. The canal was never a commercial success and was formally abandoned in 1931.
The Ulster Railway linked Monaghan with Armagh and Belfast in 1858 and with the Dundalk and Enniskillen Railway at Clones in 1863. It became part of the Great Northern Railway in 1876. The partition of Ireland in 1922 turned the boundary with County Armagh into an international frontier, after which trains were routinely delayed by customs inspections. In 1957 the Government of Northern Ireland made the GNR Board close the line between Portadown and the border, giving the GNRB no option but to withdraw passenger services between the border and Clones as well. CIÉ took over the remaining section of line between Clones, Monaghan and Glaslough in 1958 but withdrew goods services between Monaghan and Glaslough in 1959 and between Clones and Monaghan in 1960, leaving Monaghan with no railway service.
In February 1919 the first self-consciously proclaimed soviet in the United Kingdom was established at Monaghan Lunatic Asylum. This led to the claim by Joseph Devlin in the House of Commons of the United Kingdom that "that the only successfully conducted institutions in Ireland are the lunatic asylums"
On 17 May 1974 an Ulster loyalist car bomb exploded in the Friday evening rush hour killing seven people. It was detonated outside Greacen's public house on North Road in a car that had been stolen earlier that afternoon in Portadown. The bomb killed Paddy Askin, Thomas Campbell, Thomas Croarkin, Archie Harper, Jack Travers, Peggy White and George Williamson. It also injured scores of civilians and caused extensive damage to the fabric of the town with North Road and Mill Street among the areas worst affected. This was one of the few incidents in the Republic during The Troubles of Northern Ireland; three other bombs exploded on the same day in Dublin in what became known as the Dublin and Monaghan bombings. The Ulster loyalist paramilitary group Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) claimed responsibility in 1993.
A monument in memory of the victims was unveiled by Professor Mary McAleese, President of Ireland, on 17 May 2004 on the 30th anniversary of the atrocity. The sandstone and metal column containing seven light wells bearing the names of each of the seven victims of the bombing was designed by Ciaran O'Cearnaigh and stands as a reminder of one of the darkest days in Ireland's modern history.
The Fiddler of Oriel Muineachán Competition (also known as Féile Oriel) which was first held in 1969 returned this year in time for its fortieth anniversary. It is held every May Bank Holiday weekend.
Founded in 1974, Monaghan County Museum is recognised as one of the leading provincial museums in Ireland, with a prestigious Council of Europe Award conferred in 1980, among others, to its credit. The museum is located in a mid-Victorian stone building of three stories, formerly two separate town houses, on Hill Street. It aims to acquaint its visitors with the history of County Monaghan and its people.
The town is also home to Monaghan United F.C., who play in the League of Ireland Premier Division.
Local Issues are dealt with by the Monaghan Town council which elects nine members. The town forms part of the Monaghan ward for local elections for elections to Monaghan County Council and part of the Cavan-Monaghan constituency for elections to Dáil Éireann.
The largest party on the town council is Sinn Féin, a left-wing Republican party, which holds four of the nine seats. Fine Gael, a conservative party holds three, with Independents and the liberal conservative Fianna Fáil holding two and one each respectively. The current mayor is Robbie Gallagher of Fianna Fáil.
Town Layout and Architecture
The centre of the town is made up of four interconnecting squares: Market Square (or Street), Church Square, The Diamond and Old Cross Square.
Dating from the seventeenth century, the oldest remaining architectural feature in Monaghan town is the "Old Cross" - located in Old Cross Square. It is not fully agreed that it is in fact a cross, but may in fact have been a seventeenth-century sundial. It was originally located in the Diamond, the traditional centre of the town, and was used as a hiring cross and for the attaching of proclamations. It was moved to its present location in 1876 to allow for the construction of the Rossmore Memorial.Two landmark buildings remain from the eighteenth century, Aviemore House (built in 1760) on Mill Street and the "extremely elegant" Market House (from 1792) on Market Square.
Monaghan is notable for the quality of its nineteenth-century architecture, which adds a sense of dignity to the attractive town centre and its environs. Of its Victorian buildings, the courthouse on Church Square by Joseph Welland, which was built in 1830, is the most stately. With its sandstone facade of Doric columns supporting a pediment that bears the royal arms of the House of Hanover, Monaghan Courthouse constitutes an integral part of Church Square.
The Rossmore Memorial in The Diamond was built in 1876 as a memorial to the 4th Baron Rossmore, who died after a hunting accident at Windsor Castle in 1874. This Victorian monument, described by architectural historian C.E.B. Brett as "formidable and striking" is octagonal in shape, with central marble columns supporting a fountain. Around it, the eight grey columns support the pinnacled superstructure which rises to a dome. The dome is surmounted by a spire supported by yet more columns. The letters of Rossmore (also 8 in number) are spaced out around the monument.
The Gothic-Revival St. Macartan's Cathedral by J.J. McCarthy is recognized as being "one of McCarthy's best works: an excellent example of the High Victorian ecclesiastical style at its best, rich without ever being over-ornate". The building comprises a delicate rose window and an impressive soaring spire and took over thirty years to complete. Construction work began in 1861 and the cathedral was finally dedicated in 1892. Originally the nave was intended to be two bays longer but lack of funds meant that the design was cut back. The Cathedral sits on imposing site overlooking the town. Occupying a similarly commanding site on the opposite side of the town is St. Macartan's College for boys (from 1840), a 17-bay classical structure with a bell tower and private chapel, by the Newry-born architect Thomas Duff.
Church Square is very much an environment in which the civic pride of Victorian improvers lives on in the satisfying essay in the Ruskinian-Gothic style that is the Bank of Ireland building, as much as in the peaks of St. Patrick's Church of Ireland and the Dawson Obelisk. One of the most interesting aspects of Monaghan's Victorian architectural heritage, which also includes the former railway station, the Orange Hall on North Road and the Westenra Hotel on the Diamond, is the rounded corners that connect the town's buildings from one street or square to the next. This practice of rounding corners in order to open up panoramic vistas was carried out with unprecedented frequency in the town of Monaghan and is still reflected today in the edifices of The Diamond, Church Square and Mill Street, helping to secure Monaghan's status as one of Ulster's more attractive large towns.
The town is a centre for the timber-frame house building industry with Kingspan Century being the largest of its kind in Europe and has a large furniture manufacturing industry. Engineering also features in the region with both Moffett and Combilift major participants in the materials handling market. There is a campaign to boost tourism by reopening the Ulster Canal in a scheme which would eventually allow boats to travel from towns in Northern Ireland, such as Newry, by way of Monaghan to places as far south as Limerick, as well as Dublin.
Monaghan once had a thriving furniture manufacturing industry. Since 1990, this has diminished greatly under global competition. However, notable manufacturers such as Rossmore Furniture(which took its name from the magnificent Rossmore Forest Park, situated just outside the town) continue to operate from the town.
Celebrated Monaghan residents have included:
- The Rt. Hon. Sir Charles Gavan Duffy (1816–1903) - Politician and writer. Born and raised in Dublin Street (formerly Ballywollen Street), co-founder of The Nation. Subsequently became the eighth Premier of Victoria in Australia and member of the Privy Council of the United Kingdom.
- Juan MacKenna (1771–1814) - Military hero of the Chilean War of Independence and co-liberator of Chile. Raised at Willville House, Monaghan town.
- William Whitla (1851–1953) - Politician and physician.
- Thomas John "Tommy" Bowe - Rugby player for Ulster, Ospreys and Ireland. Born in Monaghan town in 1984.
- Alexander Williams RHA (1846-1930) - Artist, born in Monaghan town.
- Mary McCleary - Author, has lived most of her adult life in Monaghan.
Gallery of old images
- List of towns and villages in the Republic of Ireland
- Market Houses in the Republic of Ireland
- Monaghan Utd F.C., a local football team
- ^ http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/FactFile/Health_Status_Reports/Monaghan_Health_Status_Report/Population_Numbers/
- ^ "Monaghan (Ireland), coat of arms". CivicHeraldry.com. 2010. http://www.civicheraldry.com/page/21756. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- ^ Hajducki, S. Maxwell (1974). A Railway Atlas of Ireland. Newton Abbott: David & Charles. map 9. ISBN 0 7153 5167 2.
- ^ Hajducki, 1974, map 8
- ^ Hajducki, op. cit., page xiii
- ^ a b Hajducki, op. cit., map 39
- ^ Kostick, Conor (1996). Revolution in Ireland: Popular Militancy, 1917-1923. London: Pluto Press. p. 70.
- ^ Hansard, 20 February 1919, accessed 18 July 2010
- ^ Monaghan Post, 2007-09-06. "Who’s Behind the Blues?"
- ^ www.HarvestBlues.ie
- ^ Fiddler of Oriel Muineachán Competition
- ^ Brett, C.E.B. "Historic Buildings, Groups of Buildings and Areas of Architectural Importance in the Town of Monaghan". Belfast, Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 1970. p. 16.
- ^ Brett, C.E.B. "Historic Buildings, Groups of Buildings and Areas of Architectural Importance in the Town of Monaghan". Belfast, Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 1970. p. 10.
- ^ Brett, C.E.B. "Historic Buildings, Groups of Buildings and Areas of Architectural Importance in the Town of Monaghan". Belfast, Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 1970. p. 26.
- ^ Maurice Moffett Ltd.
- ^ Combilift Inc.
- ^ "Combilift 2 . Background". Enterprise Ireland. 2010. http://www.enterprise-ireland.com/ebusiness/Case_studies/combilift/combilift_p2.asp. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
Places in County MonaghanCounty town: Monaghan Towns Villages
LandformsList of townlands in County Monaghan · Category:Mountains and hills of County Monaghan · Category:Geography of County Monaghan
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Monaghan — [ˈmonəhan], irisch Muineachán [ˈmʷinʲəxaːɴ], ist die Hauptstadt des Countys Monaghan in der Republik Irland. Der Name bedeutet „Land der kleinen Hügel“ und bezieht sich auf das Umland von Monaghan. Die Einwohnerzahl beträgt 6.221 (2006). Das… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Monaghan — [ mɔnəhən], irisch Muineachán [minə xaːn], 1) Stadt im Nordosten der Republik Irland, Verwaltungssitz der gleichnamigen County, 5 900 Einwohner; jüngere Industrieansiedlung, zwei kleinere Industrieparks mit Leichtindustrie. Geschichte: … … Universal-Lexikon
Monaghan — (spr. Monägän), 1) Grafschaft in der irländischen Provinz Ulster, zwischen Tyrone, Armagh, Louth, East Meath, Cavan u. Fermanagh; 25,25 QM., sumpfig, fruchtbar; Producte: Flachs, Weizen, Hafer, Kartoffeln, Hülsenfrüchte, Viehzucht, Leinweberei;… … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Monaghan  — Monaghan (spr. mónnǟhǟn, in Irland selbst: mónnǟchǟn gesprochen), Binnengrafschaft in der irischen Provinz Ulster, von den Grafschaften Louth, Armagh, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Cavan und Meath umschlossen, 1294 qkm (23,5 QM.) groß. Die Bevölkerung ist… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Monaghan  — Monaghan, Hauptstadt der gleichnamigen irischen Grafschaft (s. oben), am Ulsterkanal, ist Sitz des katholischen Bischofs von Clogher, hat eine gotische Kathedrale (1862–92 erbaut), eine prot. Kirche, ein bischöfliches Seminar, einen Gerichtshof,… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Monaghan — (spr. mónnehänn), Hauptstadt der irischen Grafschaft M. (1294 qkm, 1901: 74.505 E.; Prov. Ulster), am Ulsterkanal, 2932 E … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Monaghan — (Mannäghän), irische Grafschaft in der Provinz Ulster, 25 QM. groß mit 143000 E.; die Hauptstadt M. hat 4000 E … Herders Conversations-Lexikon
Monaghan — [män′ə gən] county in Ulster province, in the NE part of the Republic of Ireland: 498 sq mi (1,290 sq km); pop. 51,000 … English World dictionary
Monaghan — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Monaghan (homonymie). Monaghan Administration N … Wikipédia en Français
Monaghan — /mon euh geuhn, han /, n. a county in the NE Republic of Ireland. 51,174; 498 sq. mi. (1290 sq. km). Co. seat: Monaghan. * * * ▪ county, Ireland Irish Muineachán (Place of Thickets) one of the three counties of Ireland forming part of the … Universalium