- Order of Merit for Labour
Order of Merit for Labour
Republican insignia of the order
Awarded by Italy Type Order of knighthood Eligibility Civilian merit Awarded for Agriculture, industry and commerce Status Extant Statistics Established 9 May 1901 Precedence Next (higher) Military Order of Italy Next (lower) Order of the Star of Italian Solidarity
The Order of Merit for Labour was founded as national order of chivalry in 1923 by King Vittorio Emanuele III of Italy; it is awarded to those "who have been singularly meritorious" in agriculture, industry and commerce, crafts, lending and insurance. It is a continuation of the earlier Ordine al Merito Agrario, Industriale e Commerciale founded in 1901. Members of the order may use the title Cavaliere del lavoro.
The origins of the order lie with King Umberto I who, in 1898, instituted "a decoration for agricultural and industrial merit and a medal of honour." The first was the exclusive prerogative of large landowners and industrialists, the latter for their employees. This was replaced by the Chivalrous or Knightly Order of Agricultural, Industrial and Commercial Merit in 1901, which was intended by Vittorio Emanuele III to give greater dignity to the earlier award.
Awarded in the single degree of Knight, the order is open to all Italians, living at home and overseas. Every year, on 1 June, 25 new Knights of Labour are invested from a shortlist of 40 candidates. The related Star of Merit for Labour, established in 1923, confers the title of Maestro del Lavoro.
Ribbon Class Name of the Order Title Knight Ordine al Merito del Lavoro Cavaliere del lavoro Master Stella al Merito del Lavoro Maestro del lavoro
The order is bestowed by decree of the President of the Italian Republic, its head since 1952, on the recommendation of the Minister of Economic Development (successor to the Minister of Industry, Commerce and Craftsmanship). The badge bears the inscription Al merito del lavoro—1901; the V.E. monogram formerly at the centre of the Greek cross, now substituted for the national coat of arms.
- ^ Instituted by Royal Decree No. 3167 on 30 December 1923, revived by Law No. 199 of 27 March 1952
- ^ Instituted by Royal Decree No. 168 on 9 May 1901
- ^ Law No. 194 of 15 May 1986 Norme sull'Ordine cavalleresco al merito del lavoro (Regulations of the Chivalrous Order of Merit for Labour), published in Gazzetta Ufficiale, No. 116, 21 May 1986
- ^ Instituted by Royal Decree No. 195 on 1 March 1898
- ^ The Italian Honours Procedure (p.6) Presidency of the Council of Ministers, Department of Protocol (retrieved 5 October 2008)
- ^ Established by Royal Decree No. 3167 of 30 December 1923, renewed by Law No. 316(1) of 1 March 1967 Nuove norme per la concessione della "Stella al merito del lavoro" (New regulations for the concession of the Star of Merit for Labour), published in Gazzetta Ufficiale, No. 133, 29 May 1967
- ^ The Rt. Hon. Silvio Berlusconi, Prime Minister Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (retrieved 22 July 2011)
- Presidenza della Repubblica - Le Onorificenze (Italian)
- Ordini dinastici della Real Casa di Savoia (Italian)
Italian orders of knighthood MonarchySupreme Order of the Most Holy Annunciation (1362) · Military and Religious Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus (1572) · Order of the Crown of Italy (1868–1983) · Military Order of Savoy (1815–1946) · Civil Order of Savoy (1831) · Chivalrous Order of Agricultural, Industrial and Commercial Merit (1901–1923) · Colonial Order of the Star of Italy (1914–1943) · Civil and Military Order of the Roman Eagle (1942–1944) · Order of Merit of Savoy (1988) Republic
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Order of Merit for the Fatherland — Star of the Order of Services to the Fatherland (1st class) Awarded by … Wikipedia
Order of Merit of the Italian Republic — Insignia of a Knight Grand Cross of the Republic Awarded by … Wikipedia
Order of Merit (Ukraine) — Order of Merit За заслуги Україна. (Ukrainian) (For achievements Ukraine) Awarded by … Wikipedia
New Zealand Order of Merit — Star of the order Awarded by … Wikipedia
New Zealand Order of Merit — Der New Zealand Order of Merit (dt. Neuseeländischer Verdienstorden ) ist ein neuseeländischer Ritterorden, der am 30. Mai 1996 von Königin Elisabeth II. in ihrer Eigenschaft als Königin von Neuseeland gegründet wurde. Band des New Zealand Order… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Order of the Crown of Italy — Insignia of a Knight Grand Cross of the Crown Awarded by … Wikipedia
Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus — Insignia of a Commander of SS. Maurice and Lazarus Awarded by … Wikipedia
Order of the Star of Italian Solidarity — Insignia of a Grand Officer of the Star of Italian Solidarity Awarded by … Wikipedia
Order of Vittorio Veneto — Obverse and reverse Awarded by … Wikipedia
Order of the Most Holy Annunciation — Supreme Order of the Most Holy Annunciation Insignia of a Knight of the Most Holy Annunciation Awarded by … Wikipedia