Minimay, Victoria


Minimay, Victoria
Minimay
Victoria
Minimay population.jpg
Entry into Minimay with the population signposted
Minimay is located in Shire of West Wimmera
{{{alt}}}
Minimay
Population: 103[1]
Postcode: 3413
Location:
  • 400 km (249 mi) NW of Melbourne
  • 352 km (219 mi) SE of Adelaide
  • 99 km (62 mi) W of Horsham
  • 30 km (19 mi) W of Goroke
  • 30 km (19 mi) E of Frances (SA)
LGA: Shire of West Wimmera
State District: Lowan
Federal Division: Mallee

Minimay is a small town located in Victoria, Australia. The town is in the Shire of West Wimmera 25 kilometres (25,000 m) from the South Australian border, about halfway between Melbourne and Adelaide. At the 2006 census, Minimay and the surrounding area had a population of 103.[1] A signpost outside the town lists the town's population at 9.

Contents

Geography

Farming is the main industry in Minimay and includes sheep and cattle breeding and arable crops. Center pivot irrigation is used to water crops and give satellite images of the area a characteristic patchwork pattern of green circles. Before agriculture, the area was quite wooded; at the time trees were cleared, agriculture in Australia was not advanced and initial attempts to grow crops required lots of manual labour, and the town consequently had a higher population.

Sporting

Sports today in Minimay is extinct with locals travelling to other sporting clubs in the district—including football and netball clubs. Minimay originally had a golf club, basketball club, tennis club, racecourse, football club and cricket club.

Football

Border Districts Football Netball Club was originally a combined team with Minimay and Frances and today also includes Goroke. The club plays in the Kowree-Naracoorte-Tatiara Football League. The football ground still exists. Border District football club has won many premiships but the A grade team won premierships in 1962, 1967, 1975, 1996, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1991, 1992 this was our last premiership Border districts have won.

Cricket

The Minimay Cricket Club is one of the oldest bodies in the district. Records are poor but, an old minute book suggests that the club was formed before 1896. The Minimay Cricket Club also won premierships during the 19 hundreds. The cricket club now has been extinct for a long time.

Tennis

Tennis was first played in Minimay on a dirt court was in 1913. The Minimay Tennis Club was first formed in 1919. Today the courts are in a different position than what they first were. 1967 they rebuilt the third court. Minimay again won many premierships in Tennis. The courts were last used in 1985 when the sport wasn’t played any more.

Basketball

Minimay Basketball Club started in 1946. The Minimay Basketball team won 10 premierships.


Minimay Race Club started in the early 1900’s. Minimay Golf Club had nine holes course which was founded in 1931 and the Golf Club lasted for only 8 years.


History

The Union church, a shared Anglican and Uniting church.

There have been two churches in Minimay; the first church was Catholic and the second dating from 1953 was the Union church.


Minimay Post Office opened on 1 November 1877 as the area was settled. [2]

The first school in Minimay opened was in 1884 or early in 1885. The school consisted of a small room which could hold 30 to 40 children. The school was closed in 1902 while it was painted and repaired. The school had planned to enlarge in 1906; this did not happen until 1911. A new school was built as the old school was infested by white ants. In 1951 the school was closed and most students went to a school in nearby Goroke.


Memorial hall at Minimay

The Minimay Public Hall was built in 1901 to 1975. The Hall was opened 15 February 1991. In 1975 the old Hall was removed to make way for the new Minimay Memorial Hall. For the opening of the Minimay Memorial Hall the community had a ball. Lately the Hall has been repainted, new tables and table cloths and floor has been polished. Today the Hall still is used for many fund-raising and community events.

The first general store in Minimay was built in the 1880s. The first owners were from Harrow and they were Mr. and Mrs. Egan. The store had three rooms and a veranda. After a few years the owners left and the store was destroyed by fire. Mr. Carracher from the general store in Frances decided to build a new one in Minimay in 1901. In 1941 the president Mrs. McIntosh purchased the store. The shop was demolished on 12 February 1976.

Later a new Minimay store was built and this still runs. The store sells groceries and is a post office agency. The store is open seven days a week and serves take away food every Friday.

References

1. History of Minimay and District. Published 1976

Coordinates: 36°43′S 141°11′E / 36.717°S 141.183°E / -36.717; 141.183


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.