- Memphis Beat
Memphis Beat Genre Drama
Created by Joshua Harto
Starring Jason Lee
Leonard Earl Howze
Opening theme "Memphis Beat" by Keb' Mo' Country of origin United States Language(s) English No. of seasons 2 No. of episodes 20 (List of episodes) Production Executive producer(s) Liz Garcia
Location(s) New Orleans Running time 43 minutes Production company(s) Warner Horizon Television
Broadcast Original channel TNT Original run June 22, 2010– August 16, 2011 External links Website
The show follows Dwight Hendricks (Jason Lee), a police detective assigned to the General Assignment division of the MPD, who loves his mother, the blues, his city, and Elvis Presley and calls himself "the keeper of Memphis". His fierce dedication to his home town is offset by his easygoing approach to his job, an attitude that irks by-the-book Lt. Tanya Rice (Alfre Woodard), his new boss.
- Jason Lee as Detective Dwight Hendricks
- Alfre Woodard as Lieutenant Tanya Rice
- Sam Hennings as Detective Charles “Whitehead” White
- DJ Qualls as Police Officer Davey Sutton
- Celia Weston as Paula Ann Hendricks
- Leonard Earl Howze as Detective Reginald Greenback
- Abraham Benrubi as Sgt. JC Lightfoot
Jason Lee said he was drawn to the show because the concept was original and the protagonist was fun to play. Lee said, "The whole package was unique and once I came to found the character and the material and the scenarios and his relationships and he’s such a great guy and is so multi-layered and cares such a great deal for his city and his family and the people that he’s protecting." Lee listened to hundreds of Presley songs in preparation for the role, and said his respect for the artist grew as a result. The vocals for Lee's character are sung by Mark Arnell.
The title Delta Blues was originally considered, but it was eventually changed to Memphis Beat. The show was created by married couple Josh Harto and Liz Garcia, with actor George Clooney and his production partner writer/actor/director Grant Heslov serving as executive producers. Harto and Garcia wrote the first two episodes of the series. Liz Garcia said of the show, "Broadcast TV is being influenced by cable in so many ways in terms of reinventing genres and taking chances, and this is part of it. [...] The forefront of creativity is on cable TV."
Despite the show's setting, the first season was primarily filmed in Laplace, LA and New Orleans, LA with only some key locations and exteriors filmed in Memphis. This has largely been attributed to the better tax incentives by filming in a state other than Tennessee.
On September 16, 2010, TNT announced that Memphis Beat was renewed for a second season, the first episode of which was broadcast June 14, 2011.
On October 17, 2011, TNT decided not to pick up a third season of Memphis Beat.
Memphis Beat has received mixed to average reviews, earning a score of 56 on Metacritic. The New York Times said of the pilot episode "This series is to Memphis what the HBO series “Treme” is to New Orleans and “Justified” on FX is to Harlan County in Kentucky — timeless indigenous music is set against the exoticism of temporal subcultures. The New York Daily News gave another positive review saying that "TNT's new "Memphis Beat" has a great soundtrack and a pretty good cop drama in between.". The Hollywood Reporter also gave the pilot a positive review:
But even as the cop genre seems beyond saturation, along comes TNT's Memphis Beat, a series with a fresh character in a fresh environment with a fresh look and sound that proves, against all odds, that good actors and agile execution trump format every time.
Awards and nominations
Year Award Category Actor Result 2011 NAACP Image Award Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series Alfre Woodard Nominated 2011 NAMIC Vision Awards Best Performance - Drama Alfre Woodard Nominated 2011 Gracie Allen Awards Outstanding Supporting Actress - Drama Series Alfre Woodard Won
Country Network Series Premiere Canada Super Channel September 9, 2010 Turkey CNBC-e September 23, 2010 Portugal AXN November 25, 2010 Norway Viasat 4 April 11, 2011 South Africa Mnet Series April 27, 2011 Spain AXN June 23, 2011 Poland TV Puls September 5, 2011 Latvia LTV 7 September 30, 2011 Israel HOT3 2011 Finland MTV3 October 6, 2011
- ^ Andreeva, Nellie (October 14, 2011). "TNT Cancels 'Memphis Beat' After 2 Seasons". Deadline Hollywood. http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/tnt-cancels-memphis-beat-after-2-seasons. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- ^ Raub, Matt (June 4, 2010). "Exclusive: Jason Lee Talks 'Memphis Beat', 'My Name is Earl'". The Flick Cast. http://theflickcast.com/2010/06/04/exclusive-jason-lee-talks-memphis-beat-my-name-is-earl/. Retrieved June 5, 2010.
- ^ Keveney, Bill (June 20, 2010). "Jason Lee moves to 'Memphis Beat' as a singing detective". USAToday.com.
- ^ Villarreal, Yvonne (April 5, 2010). "Jason Lee is keeping busy with TNT's 'Memphis Beat' [Updated]". Los Angeles Times. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/04/jason-lee-is-keeping-busy-with-tnts-delta-blues.html. Retrieved June 5, 2010.
- ^ "About the Show". Memphis Beat (Official site). http://www.tnt.tv/series/memphisbeat/display/?contentId=58465. Retrieved June 5, 2010.
- ^ Kronke, David (June 6, 2010). "Summer is now the time for broadcast networks to get serious". Los Angeles Times. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-ca-0606-summer-runoff-20100606,0,6468508.story. Retrieved June 5, 2010.
- ^ Donahue, Michael (August 24, 2010). "Schilling plays 'spiritual' role in season finale of 'Memphis Beat'". The Commercial Appeal. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/aug/24/schilling-plays-spiritual-role-season-finale-memph/. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- ^ "Memphis Beat : Season 1". Metacritic. http://www.metacritic.com/tv/memphis-beat/season-1. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
- ^ Stanley, Allesandra (21 June 2010). "Memphis Beat. Take Your Time, Crime Will Wait". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/arts/television/22memphis.html. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
- ^ Hinckley, David (22 June 2010). "TNT cop drama 'Memphis Beat', starring Jason Lee, wins with Southern flavor and great soundtrack". New York Daily News. http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/06/22/2010-06-22_memphis_has_fun_with_offbeat_cops.html. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
- ^ Garron, Barry. "Memphis Beat: TV Review". The Hollywood Reporter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/memphis-beat-tv-review-29744. Retrieved 31 July 2011.
- ^ "Memphis Beat on Super Channel". superchannel.ca. http://www.superchannel.ca/series/view/44653253/Memphis-Beat/. Retrieved 2010-08-18.
- Official website
- Memphis Beat at the Internet Movie Database
- Memphis Beat at TV.com
- Memphis Beat at Yahoo! TV
TNT programming 1981–1990 1991–2000 2001–2010 Current UpcomingABC (current) · AMC · CBS (current) · CW · E! · Fox · FX · HBO · OWN · NBC (current) · Showtime · Starz · TBS · TNT · USA
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Memphis Pal Moore — Statistics Real name Thomas Wilson Moore Rated at Bantamweight Nationality … Wikipedia
Memphis Police Department — Abbreviation MPD Patch of the Memphis Police Department … Wikipedia
Memphis, Tennessee —  ities in the Memphis metropolitan area|Memphis metropolitan area}} Memphis redirects here. For the ancient Egyptian capital, see Memphis, Egypt. For other uses, see Memphis (disambiguation). Memphis City … Wikipedia
Memphis (musical) — Memphis Memphis Poster Music David Bryan Lyrics David Bryan, Joe DiPietro Book … Wikipedia
Memphis Blues (album) — Memphis Blues Studio album by Cyndi Lauper Released June 22, 2010 ( … Wikipedia
Memphis Maniax — Founded 2001 League XFL Team history Memphis Maniax 2001 Arena Liberty Bowl … Wikipedia
Memphis Slim — Background information Birth name John Len Chatman … Wikipedia
Memphis Tigers men's basketball — Memphis Tigers 2011–12 Memphis Tigers men s basketball team … Wikipedia
Memphis International Raceway — Location 5500 Victory Lane, Millington, Tennessee, 38023 Time zone GMT 6 Coordinates … Wikipedia
Memphis Rockabilly Band — Le Memphis Rockabilly band est une formation de rock constituée en 1978 dont les styles musicaux vont du Rock N Roll, Blues, Country et Rockabilly. Le groupe a enregistré de nombreux disques pour différents labels étrangers et en France pour Big… … Wikipédia en Français