- Continental Basketball League
Continental Basketball League (CBL)
Logo Continental Basketball League
Sport Basketball Founded October 30, 2009 No. of teams 8 Country(ies) United States Continent FIBA Americas (Americas) Most recent champion(s) Cary Invasion Most titles tie Cary Invasion, Savannah Wildcats (1) Official website CBLHoopsOnline.com
In 2009, Dennis Truax, who was previously affiliated with the Continental Basketball Association (CBA), was named the first commissioner of the CBL. Gary Perry, an owner of the Augusta Groove when it was in the Premier Basketball League (PBL) was named the first director of basketball operations.
On November 2, 2009, the Wilmington Sea Dawgs were the first team to announce joining the league. On February 16, 2010, the Carolina Cougarz became the second team to join the CBL. On February 18, 2010, the Savannah Wildcats became the third team in the CBL. and the Georgia Gwizzlies left the ABA to become the fourth. On March 5, 2010, the Birmingham Steel joined the league.
Two weeks into the 2010 season, the Steel left the league for the World Basketball Association (WBA) and was replaced by the Birmingham Sabers On 1 June, 2010, the Georgia Gwizzlies were removed from the league for failure to meet operating standards, after having missed games against Birmingham and Wilmington
The league championship in 2010 was to be decided by a single elimination tournament in June. However, after the removal of the Gwizzlies, the schedule and playoff structure were truncated and adjusted. The playoffs became a one game championship between the first and second place teams, the Sea Dawgs and Wildcats respectively, which was won by the Wildcats 96-86 in overtime.
In July of 2010 the Florida Flight moved from the WBA to the CBL. In September of 2010, the Miami Stars and Palm Beach Titans joined . On March 28, 2011, the Heartland Prowl announced they had left the ABA to join the CBL.  In the announcement of the Prowl, the absence of the Carolina Cougarz as a listed team coupled with their removal from the CBL website indicated that they had folded.
In April of 2011, the Gainesville Galaxy joined. On 13 April 2011, the Cary Invasion was added. Sometime between April and early May, the Fayetteville Crossover was addded. Before the 2011 season was to start, the owners of the Savannah Wildcats announced the team would be sitting out the season due to a family matter effecting the owners' ability to lead the team. Shortly after this announcement, the CBL announced the addition of the Port City Sharks as a replacement for the Wildcats in Savannah, Georgia. The league also removed the Miami Stars and the Palm Beach Titans from the team list for the 2011 season. The Port City Sharks failed to play the complete schedule and were replaced in later games by travel teams.
In 2011, the league once again played just a championship game, this time between the winner of the North Division, the Cary Invasion and the South runner-up, the Florida Flight, which was won by the Invasion, 131-101. No official explanation was given why the winner of the South Division, the Heartland Prowl, did not play in the game. The Wilmington Sea Dawgs and the Cary Invasion announced the formation of the Tobacco Road Basketball League and their membership therein, thus leaving the CBL. The Fayetteville Crossover then announced their move to this league as well.
Team City Arena Founded First season in CBL Birmingham Sabers Birmingham, Alabama Altamont School 2010 2010 Gainesville Galaxy Gainesville, Florida Martin Luther King, Jr. Recreation Center 2011 2011 Heartland Prowl Sebring, Florida Sebring High School 2009 2011 Palm Beach Titans West Palm Beach, Florida Countess de Hoernle Student Life Center 2010 2011 Raleigh Rough Riders Raleigh, North Carolina TBA 2011 2012 Savannah Wildcats Savannah, Georgia Armstrong Atlantic State University 2010 2010 South Florida Stars TBD, Florida TBD 2011 2012 Tampa Bay Saints Tampa, Florida Mary Help of Christians Center 2011 2011
- Cary Invasion - Moved to Tobacco Road Basketball League
- Fayetteville Crossover - Moved to Tobacco Road Basketball League
- Wilmington Sea Dawgs - Moved to Tobacco Road Basketball League
- Florida Flight - Not on the 2012 team list
- Miami Stars - Not on the 2012 team list
- Port City Sharks - midway through 2011 season.
Historical membership and alignment
See History of Continental Basketball League Teams
- 2010: Savannah Wildcats defeated Wilmington Sea Dawgs, 96-86 (OT), June 27, 2010 Joe and Barbara Schwartz Center, Wilmington, North Carolina
- 2011: Cary Invasion defeated Florida Flight, 131-101, June 24, 2011 Herbert Young Community Center, Cary, North Carolina
- ^ a b c d Continental Basketball League to start in 2010, Miami Herald, 2009-10-30, http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/wires/story/1308768.html, retrieved 2009-11-20
- ^ Continental Basketball League Launched, Our Sports Central, 2009-10-30, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3923127, retrieved 2009-11-20
- ^ Sea Dawgs Join Continental Basketball League, Cape Fear Business News, 2009-11-03, http://capefearbusiness.com/?p=2872, retrieved 2009-11-20
- ^ Carolina Cougarz Join the Continental Basketball League, Our Sports Central, 2010-02-16, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3964706, retrieved 2010-02-18
- ^ Savannah Wildcats Launch, Our Sports Central, 2010-02-18, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3965647, retrieved 2010-02-18
- ^ Georgia Gwizzlies Head to the CBL, Our Sports Central, 2010-02-18, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3965603, retrieved 2010-02-18
- ^ Continental Basketball League Announces Birmingham Steel As Newest Franchise, Our Sports Central, 2010-03-05, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3971449, retrieved 2010-03-05
- ^ Birmingham Steel Become Latest Addition To WBA, Our Sports Central, 2010-05-11, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4008012, retrieved 2010-05-13
- ^ a b CBL Announces Ownership Change in Birmingham, Our Sports Central, 2010-05-13, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4008721, retrieved 2010-05-13
- ^ Georgia Gwizzlies Removed from CBL, Our Sports Central, 2010-06-01, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4020226, retrieved 2010-06-01
- ^ Flight Headed for Continental Basketball League, Our Sports Central, 2010-07-28, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4059569, retrieved 2010-07-29
- ^ Miami Stars Join CBL, Our Sports Central, 2010-09-23, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4094608, retrieved 2010-09-23
- ^ Palm Beach Titans Joining CBL, Our Sports Central, 2010-09-23, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4094607, retrieved 2010-09-23
- ^ a b Continental Basketball League Welcomes The Heartland Prowl, Our Sports Central, 2011-03-28, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4173389, retrieved 2011-03-30
- ^ a b Gainesville Galaxy Joins Continental Basketball League, Our Sports Central, 2011-04-11, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4182620, retrieved 2011-04-13
- ^ CBL Adds Cary Invasion for 2011 Season, Our Sports Central, 2011-04-13, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4183874, retrieved 2011-04-14
- ^ Shambaugh, Jaclyn (2011-05-03), Recreation: The RAC spawns semi-pro basketball team, the Fayetteville Crossover, Fayetteville Observer, http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2011/05/03/1091143?sac=Sports, retrieved 2011-05-06
- ^ Invasion, Sea Dawgs Join the TRBL, Our Sports Central, 2011-11-18, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4320818, retrieved 2011-11-21
- ^ Fayetteville Crossover Join TRBL, Our Sports Central, 2011-11-19, http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4321425, retrieved 2011-11-21
Continental Basketball League Full Participants North Division South Division
Birmingham Sabers · Cary Invasion · Fayetteville Crossover · Wilmington Sea Dawgs
Gainesville Galaxy · Heartland Prowl · Florida Flight · Port City Sharks
Other Teams Travel Teams Dormant Teams
Miami Stars · Palm Beach Titans
Men's Professional Basketball Leagues AfricaAlgeria · Nigeria · South AfricaContinental Tournament(s) AmericasContinental League(s)Subregional League(s)Subregional Tournament(s) AsiaContinental Tournament(s)Subregional League(s)ASEAN Basketball LeagueSubregional Tournament(s)West Asian Champions Cup EuropeAlbania · Austria · Belarus · Belgium · Bosnia and Herzegovina · Bulgaria · Croatia · Cyprus · Czech Republic · Estonia · Finland · France · Georgia · Germany · Greece · Hungary · Iceland · Israel · Italy · Latvia · Lithuania · Macedonia · Montenegro · Netherlands · Norway · Poland · Portugal · Romania · Russia · Serbia · Slovenia · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland · Turkey · Ukraine · United Kingdom - England - ScotlandContinental LeaguesEuroleague · Eurocup · EuroChallengeIntercontinental TournamentsNBA Europe Live Tour · Euroleague American TourSubregional Leagues OceaniaSubregional League(s)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Continental basketball association — Pour les articles homonymes, voir CBA. Continental Basketball Association … Wikipédia en Français
Continental Basketball Association — Deporte Baloncesto Fundación 23 de abril de 1946 Lema Oldest professional basketball league in the world Nº de equipos País … Wikipedia Español
Basketball League of Serbia — Current season or competition: 2011–12 Basketball League of Serbia Sport Basketball Founded … Wikipedia
Continental Basketball Association — This article is about the American CBA. For the CBA in China, see Chinese Basketball Association. Continental Basketball Association (CBA) Sport Basketball Founded April 23, 1946 Claim to fame … Wikipedia
Continental Basketball Association franchise history — This is a year by year list of franchises in the Continental Basketball Association, along with its incarnations as the Eastern Professional Basketball League and Eastern Basketball Association. Contents 1 1946 47 2 1947 48 3 1948 49 4 1 … Wikipedia
Continental Basketball Association — Pour les articles homonymes, voir CBA. Infobox compétition sportive Continental Basketball Association … Wikipédia en Français
Continental Basketball Association — Die Continental Basketball Association, oder einfach nur kurz CBA genannt, war eine US amerikanische Basketballorganisation. Sie ist der USA Basketball unterstellt, dem Basketballdachverband in den USA. Diese Liga war bis 2010 die älteste um am… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Polish Basketball League — Tauron Basket Liga (TBK) Polska Liga Koszykówki (PLK) Current season or competition: 2011 12 Tauron Basket Liga Sport Basketball Founded 1928 No. of teams 14 … Wikipedia
Dutch Basketball League — (DBL) Current season or competition: 2011–12 Dutch Basketball League Logo FEB Formerly Federatie Eredivisie Basketball (FEB) … Wikipedia
Swedish Basketball League — This article is about basketball team. For the concept in maritime law, see Flotsam and jetsam. Swedish Basketball League or so Called Ligan is the premier league for basketball in Sweden. The league was originally established in 1992 as… … Wikipedia