- University of Chittagong
University of Chittagong চট্টগ্রাম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় Established 1966 Type Public Endowment US$1.53 crore Chancellor President Mohammad Zillur Rahman Vice-Chancellor Professor Anwarul Azim Arif Academic staff 726 Admin. staff 1900 Students 22000 Location Chittagong, Bangladesh Campus Urban, 1,754 acres (7.10 km2) Affiliations Association of Commonwealth Universities Website www.cu.ac.bd
The University of Chittagong (Chittagong University) (Bangla: চট্টগ্রাম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) is a public university situated at the suburban area of Hathazari, Chittagong district, Bangladesh. The university was established in 1966. The campus is at 22 km north to the Chittagong city. It has a shuttle train service from 7:00 AM to 9:30 PM for the students. There are bus services for the teachers and staff as well. The University of Chittagong is surrounded by hills, and bisected by a small stream which made this university a famous tourist spot across the country.
Dr. Muhammad Yunus , who used to be a faculty member of this university, the founder of Grameen Bank, the pioneering figure in Microcredit theory of Economics, and the 2006 winner of Nobel Prize in peace, started his first microcredit experiments from this very campus at the neighbouring village of Zobra. Dr. Jamal Nazrul Islam, a notable mathematician and physicist.
University of Chittagong at a glance
Established 1966 Inauguration 18 November 1966 Location Zobra village, Hathajari upajila, Chittgong district; 22 kilometer from Chittagong city Area 1,754-acre (7.10 km2) Faculty 7 Department 35 Institute 3 Research Center 5 Affiliated Faculty 1 Affiliated Institute 2 Affiliated College 8 Degree Awarded BA, MA, BSc, MSc, MS, BBA, MBA,LLB, LLM, BSS, MSS, M.B.B.S. Higher Degree M.Phil., Ph.D., M.D., M.P.H Hall 10 (male-6, female-3 and Both Male & Female-1) Student 22000 odd (male-14,000, female-8,000) Teacher 726 Officer 296 3rd class staff 478 4th class staff 1,180
The university offers 4 Year Bachelor of Science (Honours) (B.Sc.), 1 Year Master of Science (M.Sc.), both thesis and course work based, under the faculty of Science. Also, Post Graduate Degrees (PGD) in Computer Science and Information Technology are offered.
It offers 4 Year Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) and 1 Year Masters of Business Administration (MBA) degrees under the faculty of Business Administration, 4 Year Bachelor of Social Science (BSS) and 1 Year Masters of Social Science (MSS) degrees under the Faculty of Social Science, 4 Year Bachelor of Arts (BA) and 1 Year Masters of Arts (MA) degrees under the faculty of Arts, 4 Year LLB and 1 Year LLM degree under the Faculty of Law. The university also offers 2 Year MS, 2 Year MPhil and 3 Year PhD degree by research. Chittagong University is the pioneer to offer 4 year BBA, BSc(Hons) in Forestry, Environmental Sciences, and Marine Science in Bangladesh.
Medium of instruction
The medium of instruction here in this university is English Except for the departments such as Bengali, Arabic etc. Some faculties approve both English and Bangla as medium of instruction. In this respect it is up to the students to choose any of the languages they feel comfortable with in their studies.
Faculty and departments
With a modest beginning of 4 departments in 1966, the University of Chittagong has grown to 8 individual faculties, 35 departments, 3 institutes and 3 research centres. It has 3 affiliated Medical colleges under the Faculty of Medicine and 1 Veterinary Medicine College under the faculty of Veterinary Medicine. The veterinary medical college has recently been upgraded into a separate University. As such the number of faculties at present is 7. Current student enrollment is more than 19,050. Following is a list of faculties and the related departments.
- Faculty of Science
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Chittagong
- Department of Applied Physics, Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Physics
- Faculty of Biological Sciences
- Department of Botany
- Department of Zoology
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Department of Geography and Environmental Science
- Department of Soil Science
- Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
- Department of Psychology
- Faculty of Arts
- Department of Bangla
- Department of English
- Department of History
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of FineArts
- Department of Islamic History & Culture
- Department of Arabic & Farsi
- Department of Pracchovasha
- Department of Communication & Journalism
- Department of Islamic Studies
- Faculty of Social Science
- Department of Public Administration
- Department of Economics
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of International Relations (IR)
- Department of Home Economics
- Faculty of Business Administration
- Department of Accounting and Information System
- Department of Management Studies
- Department of Marketing studies and International Marketing(MSIM)
- Department of Finance and Banking
- Faculty of Law
- Department of Law
- Faculty of Medicine
- Chittagong Medical College
- Comilla Medical College
- Other affiliated colleges
- Begumgonj Textile Engineering College, Noakhali
- Chittagong Home Economics College
- Chittagong University Laboratory School and College
Nazrul Research Centre
Bureau of Business Research
Institute of Modern languages
Bengali, English, French, German, Arabic,Japanese and many other language courses are offered in this institute. One year certificate courses and one and a half year diploma courses are conducted at low costs.
University have Bangladesh National Cadet corps and Rover Scout for students to develop students' leading and social service capability.
At present, various organizations are running their activities.Chittagong University Debating Society(CUDS),is a organization of debate,Chittagong University Abritty Moncha is an recitation organization, Nikkon is organization of recite, presentation. These organizations conduct relevant courses. Chittagong University Astronomic Association is an organization of astronomic news, documentaries etc.
There are some other department wise student organizations in the university. Mention may be made of FBDA (Finance & Banking Debating Association) of the Department of Finance & Banking and SLP (Society for Leadership Proliferation) of the Department of Marketing. Both of the organizations are doing a lot.
Social service of students
Students join local and international organizations to serve society. Some local organizations are rotaract club of Chittagong University, Red crescent, quantum foudation. Some international organizations are Bangladesh youth Leadership Center (BYLC), United Nations Youth Students Association of Bangladesh (UNYSAB).
Art and Architecture
List of Vice chancellors
Name From To Professor Dr. Azizur Rahman Mollik Daniel 01-10-1966 31-01-1972 U. N. Seddiqui (in charge) 21-04-1971 30-01-1972 Professor Dr. Innas Ali 01-02-1972 18-04-1973 Professor Abul Fazl 19-04-1973 27-111975 Professor Dr Abdul Karim 28-11-1975 18-04-1981 Professor Dr. M. A. Aziz Khan 19-04-1981 18-04-1985 Professor Mohammad Ali 19-04-1985 22-05-1988 Professor Dr. Alamgir Mohammad Shirajuddin 23-05-1-88 29-12-1991 Professor Dr. Rafiqul Islam Chowdhury 30-12-1991 06-11-1996 Professor Abdul Mannan 06-11-1996 13-02-2001 Professor Mohammad Fazlee Hossain 14-02-2001 02-02-2002 Professor A. J. M. Nuruddin Chowdhury 02-02-2002 02-02-2006 Professor Dr. M. Badiul Alam 03-02-2006 24-02-2009 Late Professor Dr. Abu Yousuf Alam 25-02-2009 28-11-2010 Professor Dr.Muhammad Ala-ud-din (Acting) 09-12-2010 14-6.2011 Professor Md. Anwarul Azim Arif 15-06-2011 present
List of Pro Vice chancellors
Name From To Professor Md. Ali Imdad Khan 01-11-1987 14-11-1989 Professor Dr. M. Badiul Alam 30-12-1991 26-08-1996 Professor Dr. Abu Yousuf Alam 26-08-1996 13-02-2001 Professor Md. Anwarul Azim Arif 10-07-2001 13-11-2001 Professor Dr. Muhammad Shamsuddin 13-11-2001 13-11-2005 Professor Dr.Muhammad Ala-ud-din 25-02-2009 Present
There are 7 halls for male and 3 halls for female students. Male halls are 1. Shah Amanat Hall, 2. Shahjalal Hall, 3. Alaol Hall, 4. F. R. Hall, 5. Sohrawardi Hall 6. Abdur Rab Hall 7. Masterda Surjasen Hall(For both male & female). Female halls are 1. Shamsun Nahar Hall, 2. Priti Lata Hall and 3. Khaleda Zia Hall. The campus also hosts a Buddhist temple named Bishwa Shanti Pagoda, which also serves as a residence hall for the university's Buddhist students. There is also another tourist spot named: Forestry Helipad & Administrative Building.
- Jamal Nazrul Islam, physicist and mathematician. Ex-professor, Mathematics Department. Present professor emeritus and founding director of Research Centre for Mathematics and Physical Sciences (RCMPS).
- Dr. M. Abul Mansur Chowdhury, mathematical physicist, director, Research Centre for Mathematics and Physical Sciences (RCMPS).
- Muhammad Yunus, founder of Grameen Bank, 2006 winner of Nobel Prize in peace. Former professor of Economics Department, initiated his project on micro credit in the adjacent area, Jobra.
- Md. Hanif Seddiqui, computer scientist, founder, Semantic Knowledge Engineering and Intelligent Mining
- Moinul Haque Meaze, particle physicist, CERN, INFN
- Dr. Mohammad Samsujoha, professor (supernumerary) of Management Studies, founder of Business Administration Faculty (deceased)
- Dr. Anupam Sen, well-known sociologist, writer and philosopher
- Dr. Salma Khan, former professor, Department of Economics and Chairperson, CEDAW
- Dr. M. Abu Saleh, former professor, Department of Chemistry (deceased)
- Dr. Abdul Karim, famous for his writing on history. ex vc. (deceased)
- Professor Alamgir Mohammad Serajuddin, eminent historian and researcher on Sharia Law
- Professor Rashid Chowdhyr, renowned artist (deceased)
- Professor Murtaza Baseer, renowned artist
- Professor Devdas Chakroborty, renowned artist (deceased)
- Professor Abdullah Khalid, sculptor who created 'Aporjeyo Bangla' in front of Dhaka University
Honorary Doctorate Holders
- Doctor of Science in 1981, Abdus Salam, Winner, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1979 
- Doctor of Science in 2008, Jamal Nazrul Islam, Eminent Physicist, Mathematician, Astronomer, Cosmologist 
- ^ http://www.cu.ac.bd/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85
- ^ http://www.cu.ac.bd/index.php?option=com_cudata&task=Institute%20of%20Fine%20Arts
- ^ http://www.cu.ac.bd/index.php?option=com_cudata&task=Institute%20of%20Modern%20Language
- ^ http://www.cu.ac.bd/index.php?option=com_cudata&task=Social%20Science%20Research%20Institute
- ^ a b Page 19, Diary of University of Chittagong, 2008
- ^ a b "Dr Alauddin made CU acting VC". BDBews24.com. 2010-12-09. http://www.bdnews24.com/details.php?id=181191&cid=2. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- ^ New Age, Wednesday, February 25, 2009
- ^ http://http://jp.linkedin.com/pub/md-hanif-seddiqui/14/9aa/880/
- ^ http://http://www.skeim.org/
- ^ http://skeim.org/publicationshow.php/
- ^ http://www.cu.ac.bd/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85
- ^ http://www.student-wish.com/campus_latest_nov5.htm
http://slpmarketingdeptcu.blogspot.com/ www.facebook.com/slpcu http://www.facebook.com/groups/127774400042/?ref=ts
- Faculty of Science
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University — Established February 2, 2006 Type Public, coeducational Chancellor President Mohammad Zillur Rahman Vice Chancellor Prof. Dr. A S Mahfuzul Bari, DVM, PhD … Wikipedia
Chittagong University College — CUC Location Chittagong University Campus, Chittagong. Chittagong, Bangladesh, 4331, Bangladesh Information School type … Wikipedia
Chittagong — This article is about Chittagong as a city in Bangladesh. For other uses, see Chittagong (disambiguation). Chittagong চট্টগ্রাম Metropolis Nickname(s): Chottala, Chantga, Chôţţogram … Wikipedia
Chittagong University of Engineering & Technology — The Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology Established 1968 Type Public Chancellor President Mohammad Zillur Rahman … Wikipedia
Chittagong University — Infobox University name = University of Chittagong ( Chittagong University )( Chôţţogram Bishshobiddalôe ) established = 1966 type = Public chancellor = Prof. Dr. Iajuddin Ahmed vice chancellor = Prof. Dr.M.Badiul Alam students=18000 faculty=6… … Wikipedia
Chittagong — /chit euh gong /, n. a port in SE Bangladesh, near the Bay of Bengal. 416,733. * * * City (pop., 1991: 1,392,860; metro. area pop.: 2,040,663), chief Indian Ocean port, Bangladesh. It is the country s second most important industrial city, with… … Universalium
Chittagong College — Chittagong Government College শিক … Wikipedia
Chittagong Hill Tracts Conflict — Date 1977 1997 Location Chittagong Hill Tracts, Bangladesh Result Peace deal … Wikipedia
Chittagong Collegiate School — The Chittagong Collegiate School is a secondary school in Chittagong, the southern port city in Bangladesh. Established in 1836, it is one of the oldest schools in the country. The headmaster of the school is Mohammad Aziz Uddin … Wikipedia
University of Development Alternative — (UODA) Motto Education for Human Development Established 2002 Type Private, coeducational … Wikipedia