- Worshipful Company of Coopers
The Worshipful Company of Coopers is one of the Livery Companies of the City of London. The organisation of Coopers existed in 1422; it received a Royal Charter of incorporation in 1501. The trade of Coopers, the making of wine, beer, and spirit barrels, having become obsolete, the Company now exists as a charitable foundation.
Their guild hall was first founded in Bassishaw ward in 1522, at The Swan and from 1547 in a purpose built hall. This hall was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666, and rebuilt on the same site. The guild rebuilt again in 1865, selling a part of the site to the Corporation for the expansion of Guildhall. This hall was destroyed by fire on the night of 29th December, 1940. The livery then shared quarters with other companies until purchasing their current headquarters in Devonshire Square.
The Coopers' Company ranks thirty-sixth in the order of precedence of Livery Companies. Its motto is Love as Brethren.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.