- Preston and Wyre Joint Railway
The Preston and Wyre Joint Railway (PWJR) - in full, the "Preston & Wyre Railway and Dock Company" - was the result of a merger in 1839 between:
* Preston & Wyre Railway and Harbour Company, formed in 1835
* Preston & Wyre Dock Company, formed in 1837The Dock Company was vested jointly between the
London and North Western Railway(LNWR) and the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railwayon 28 July 1849 to become the PWJR.
The Railway was originally built to connect
Prestonon the LNWR West Coast Main Linewith the port of Fleetwoodat the mouth of the River Wyre. In 1861 the "Blackpool and Lytham Railway" (B&LR) was opened; this was included in the Joint Railway, amalgamated in 1871. A branch from Poulton-le-Fyldeto a station at Talbot Road, Blackpool, completed the 45 miles (72km) of track.
The following stations exist or have existed on the line:
* Lea Road: closed 2 May 1938
* Salwick: closed 2 May 1938; reopened ..
* Kirkham and Wesham - junction for the
Lytham(B&LR) line; and the "Blackpool direct" line to Blackpool South station (line now closed; most of the trackbed is now part of the M55 motorwayand Yeadon Way, Blackpool.)
** Wrea Green: closed (1961)
** Moss Side
** Ansdell and Fairhaven
** St Annes
*** two halts here were at Burlington Road and Gillets Crossing: both closed during WWII and permanently 1 January 1949
** Squires Gate
** Blackpool Pleasure Beach
** Blackpool South: was originally "Waterloo Road"
** Blackpool Central: closed 1964
* "continuation of main line from Kirkham":
* Singleton; closed (date unknown)
* Poulton-le-Fylde: junction for line to "Blackpool North":
** Layton: was named Bispham
** Blackpool North was Talbot Road station
* "continuation of main line from Poulton-le-Fylde"; this section is closed to traffic:
* Thornton for Cleveleys serving Thornton and
Cleveleys: between here and Bispham (see above) was a curve (now closed) on which stood "Poulton Curve Halt"
* Burn Naze halt
* Fleetwood Wyre Dock serving
Fleetwood: here was goods branch to Wyre Dock. Terminus from 1966 to 1970. Closed in 1970.
* Fleetwood serving
Fleetwood: closed in 1966. Terminus transferred to Fleetwood Wyre Dock.
* [http://www.bafrua.connectfree.co.uk/ Blackpool And Fylde Rail Users' Association]
* [http://www.wyrebc.gov.uk/localplan/text/09trans.htm Local plan suggesting that line be reopened to Fleetwood]
* [http://www.pwrs.org Poulton and Wyre Railway Society] are working towards restoring passenger services to Fleetwood, follow the link for more information.
Blackpool Branch Lines
Fleetwood Branch Line
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Preston and Longridge Railway — [v · d · … Wikipedia
Joint railway — A joint railway is a railway operating under the control of more than one railway company: those companies very often supplying the traction over the railway.United KingdomThere are many examples of joint railway working in the United Kingdom:… … Wikipedia
Caledonian and Dunbartonshire Junction Railway — [v · d · … Wikipedia
Preston railway station — Infobox UK station name = Preston manager = Virgin Trains locale = Preston borough = Preston code = PRE platforms = 8 usage0405 = 3.085 usage0506 = 3.246 usage0607 = 3.418 latitude = 53.7560 longitude = 2.7072 years = 31 October 1838 events =… … Wikipedia
Fleetwood railway station — Infobox UK disused station name = Fleetwood manager = Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway / London and North Western Railway locale = Queen s Terrace, Fleetwood borough = Wyre platforms = 5 caption = line = Preston and Wyre Joint Railway latitude =… … Wikipedia
Maudlands railway station — Maudlands Location Place Leighton Street, Preston Area Preston Coordinates … Wikipedia
Thornton for Cleveleys railway station — Infobox UK disused station name = Thornton for Cleveleys manager = Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway / London and North Western Railway locale = Thornton borough = Wyre platforms = 2 caption = Remains of the station in 2005 line = Preston and Wyre … Wikipedia
Moss Side railway station — Moss Side Location Place Moss Side Local authority Fylde Coordinates … Wikipedia
Lea Road railway station — Infobox UK disused station name = Lea Road manager = Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway / London and North Western Railway locale = Lea Road, Preston borough = Preston platforms = 2 caption = line = Preston and Wyre Joint Railway latitude = 53.7753 … Wikipedia
North Union Railway — The North Union Railway was an early British railway company, formed in 1834. Contents 1 Origins 2 Joint ownership 3 Stations 4 Notes … Wikipedia